Dead pixel on my CRT....

-=Nu||=-

Gawd
Well I have a 17 inch Dell CRT, probably 2-3 years old, and it works just fine. But a few months ago I noticed that it had a dead pixel... I don't even notice that it's there unless I look for it, but it's a little strange having a dead pixel on a CRT, and this is the first dead pixel on a CRT that I've seen. I was just wondering how common this is, and how is this even possible?

Anyways here's a pic:
deadpixel.jpg

Syndicated_Death said:
yeah it's cause by burnt out phospher. I've seen it 2 times myself
I'd think of a manufacturing defect before considering something like burnt out phosphor, considering that the lifespan of the phosphor layer on a somewhat recently produced CRT is far longer than just 2-3 years.

I have a dead pixel on my 17" dell crt, too. Didn't notice it until for about 2 years.

From the sound of it this must be rather rare, especially compared to dead pixels on LCDs.

I saw a white pixel on my CRT a while back (it might've gone away by now), I heard it can be caused by dust and the like getting stuck on the inside.

It's not as rare as you might think. Especially with ultra high resolution CRTs (1600x1200) they are hard to pick out.

I had several Sony F500 series monitors (including an F500-R) and all of them had at least one completely dead pixel. And in most cases it was months before I noticed it. :)

I believe 2 of the 4 CRT's I've ever had had a dead pixel on them, and they were both purple just like yours.

PKFGimpy said:
I believe 2 of the 4 CRT's I've ever had had a dead pixel on them, and they were both purple just like yours.

i think its more fuschia than purple...

Since it's a DELL have you checked for major backlight bleeding?

Try rubbing the screen real hard and maybe the dead pixel will go away :rolleyes:

What's with all the smart-ass comments? :mad:

Anyway, I've seen the same thing a couple of years ago on my old CRT (some no-name crap). Nobody would believe me of course, but it was similar to yours, -=Nu||=-. It didn't really bother me much unless I had a bright background. Thank God my current LCD is dead-pixel-free. :)

1c3d0g said:
What's with all the smart-ass comments? :mad:

Anyway, I've seen the same thing a couple of years ago on my old CRT (some no-name crap). Nobody would believe me of course, but it was similar to yours, -=Nu||=-. It didn't really bother me much unless I had a bright background. Thank God my current LCD is dead-pixel-free. :)

theyre not smartass comments. weve answered the question so now we are just having a good time joking back and forth...

Back