dead pixel fix?

ascarytiger

Weaksauce
Just got my HP w2207, great monitor, but after 2 days of use I noticed a dead pixel in the middle of the screen. Any fixes or am I screwed?

http://www.widowpc.com/2005/08/fix_dead_pixels.php

i dont know about that...seems that people on the intarw3b can't figure out that a dead pixel is not a stuck pixel.

other places tell me that dead pixels are a death sentence (no pun intended). i know that dell seems pretty loose about sending out replacement panels...try your luck with HP customer service...who knows...?

Fix:

1. Pack up the monitor.
2. Return it to the place of purchase for an exchange.

:D

I found a dead one in my panel a few weeks after I bought it, but I was only able to see it by sticking my nose to the screen and specifically looking for it on a black screen. When I sit three feet from the screen it's impossible to even tell it's there, which is good enough for me. I was pretty irritated at first, but when I can't even see it unless I'm trying to, it's hard to be too concerned.

I found a dead one in my panel a few weeks after I bought it, but I was only able to see it by sticking my nose to the screen and specifically looking for it on a black screen. When I sit three feet from the screen it's impossible to even tell it's there, which is good enough for me. I was pretty irritated at first, but when I can't even see it unless I'm trying to, it's hard to be too concerned.

Very sensible words these, I think.

When LCD's started out with 800x600 resolution and with pixels that were often "on" all the time, it was a real problem and people (rightly) were very concerned about it. Who wants a black screen with a big fat red pixel staring at them all day.

But now we are talking perhaps 1920x1200 or maybe more, the pixels are ****SO**** small, its really hard to even see them and if a pixel is just "dead" rather than "on", its really not at all noticeable.

Of course we all want perfection and its all too easy to get emotional when your panel is less than "perfect". But when you can't actually see the defects, does it *really* matter? I would say no it doesn't.

Chip

When LCD's started out with 800x600 resolution and with pixels that were often "on" all the time, it was a real problem and people (rightly) were very concerned about it. Who wants a black screen with a big fat red pixel staring at them all day.

But now we are talking perhaps 1920x1200 or maybe more, the pixels are ****SO**** small, its really hard to even see them and if a pixel is just "dead" rather than "on", its really not at all noticeable.

Of course we all want perfection and its all too easy to get emotional when your panel is less than "perfect". But when you can't actually see the defects, does it *really* matter? I would say no it doesn't.

Chip

Thanks, you saved me the time of having to write all of that out!

Chip

Exactly. My new Sharp 32GP1U has 6 stuck pixels. I knew it had 3, but I didn't even know I had the other 3 until I was bored one day and tested it on a black screen. I can't even notice them unless I actually focus and put my face close to the screen.

Thrash said:
That's a stuck pixel, not a dead pixel. Dead pixels are very noticeable but not as common, while stuck pixels are rarely visible. Still, I wouldn't want a bright green stuck subpixel in the middle of the screen. I wouldn't mind if it's a dark blue one in a corner or something.

I don't think pixels that are truly dead can be fixed. However I've had good success with simply gently massaging the area around stuck pixels with a microfiber cloth.

Back