Dead PC - Hopefully PSU related, reqest advise...

HyperTension

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, after returning home from a RN assignment, I come to fine my PC powered down. No big deal, there were a couple of storms previously, and I had called to make sure there were no issues.

Won't power up with pushing power button.... OK... Lights on mobo on, I turn it off, unplug it for a few minutes and reconnect. Turn the switch on for the PSU, and the mobo lights immediately come on and a few seconds later hear this suble "tink" and the CPU fan moves just a bit and thats it.

I never get to BIOS, much less anything past that.

Besides being a bit unhappy, I'm thinking that I have a bad PSU (sniffle).... worse case senario, a bad motherboard. My complete specs are listed below as a signature.

Any advise / tips for this?

Check the voltages on the 12v rail/s if you have a multimeter, and if not, borrow a functional PSU and test your system with it.. easy stuff ;)

Well, after returning home from a RN assignment, I come to fine my PC powered down. No big deal, there were a couple of storms previously, and I had called to make sure there were no issues.

Won't power up with pushing power button.... OK... Lights on mobo on, I turn it off, unplug it for a few minutes and reconnect. Turn the switch on for the PSU, and the mobo lights immediately come on and a few seconds later hear this suble "tink" and the CPU fan moves just a bit and thats it.

I never get to BIOS, much less anything past that.

Besides being a bit unhappy, I'm thinking that I have a bad PSU (sniffle).... worse case senario, a bad motherboard. My complete specs are listed below as a signature.

Any advise / tips for this?

Same exact thing happened to me with a Diablotek 650W PSU. One morning it just wouldn't turn on. I tested everything in the system since I didn't have a different one to try. Long story short, I borrowed a 500W from work and the system fired right up. Replaced it with a Corsair GS600.

Remove the PSU from your computer and disconnect it entirely. Use a piece of wire or a metal paper clip to connect the green wire on the 24-pin ATX connector to one of the black grounds. Plug the PSU into the wall with the power switch in the off position. Once you've done this, turn the switch on. If the PSU does not turn on, it's dead. If it does turn on, it may or may not be damaged, so you'll need to test your other components to isolate the problem.

Also, try to connect a fan to a 4pin Molex just to have a minimal load on it while you're doing this, some PSUs don't like 0 load operation and might end up worst than it was ;)

Also, try to connect a fan to a 4pin Molex just to have a minimal load on it while you're doing this, some PSUs don't like 0 load operation and might end up worst than it was ;)
Quality PSUs will not become damaged from running without a load. Connecting something to the PSU generally isn't necessary just to see if it can turn on or not.

Aye, the 750W Silencer is a good unit.. should be just fine, but it's better to be safe than sorry :)

The "tink" sound may have been from the fuse popping, either because something in the high voltage section shorted (transistor for the inverter or power factor corrector) or the fuse just failed from years of fatigue. If the PSU is out of warranty (5 years?) or can be opened without breaking any seal, you might want to try a new fuse, if the old one isn't soldered in. A shorted transistor will cause it to blow, probably right away, maybe with a bang.

Hyper:

Your story is EXACTLY what happened to me not long ago. Had a massive overnight hail storm and returned to find my computer powered off with only the motherboard light on.

If I hit the power button, the fans would twitch and the drives would click as if to try to start. Promptly grabbed a replacement PSU and it fired right up.

Usually if any other component was on its way out, you would still be able to power up the system (usually just won't POST). As far as the Mobo light goes, that just means the PSU has 5 volts standby power.

I too had a machine die on me from lightning. Would press the power button and 20m later it would boot up... Few days later it was completely gone. Grab a new PSU and a good GFCI and hope that works :]

Welp.. finally got back to looking at it.... You can see a char line on both the NB + SB of my mobo. At this point I'm calling the whole system a wash. Hopefully the data on the HD's is recoverable.

I'll RMA the video card, and get another EVGA 570 and SLI it, and looking at a Corsair 1050 + EVGA Z68.

Toasted PC.... makes me a sad panda.....

Back