Dead Motherboard?

Intel_Hydralisk

Supreme [H]ardness
After I got my new G46, I've let my G50 sort of collect dust. My G50 had a slightly broken hinge (damn TSA agents), and the fan was 'clicky' (have a $10 replacement fan ready), but it was otherwise fully functional. I went to whip it out the other day and have it set up to be a more permanent "HTLaptop" connected to my TV.

However, it wouldn't power up at all. I tried the power brick from my G46 and it wouldn't work either. I tried a 3rd power brick and it didn't work either. The power bricks all work on other laptops interchangeably. What happens is, the brick when connected to the outlet by itself lights up (green light) to show there's power. As soon as it connects to the laptop, the green light disappears. Unplugging from laptop and outlet, then replugging just to the outlet lights up the green light again.

Googling this issue... looks like the motherboard is fried (there's a short or it's just completely dead). Is there anything I can do short of sending this back to Asus to get a replacement mobo? Since the warranty has long expired, I suspect that may not be worth it at this point.

Back