Dead Mobo or just scrambled BIOS?

Tantalum

n00b
I have a nForce 680i that is having some problems, the text on the BIOS screen contains random letters, with what looks like a rainbow color scheme.

I have tried resetting the BIOS by removing the battery, but it doesn't seem to fix anything. I also can't update the BIOS because I don't have a floppy drive, I tried doing a BIOS-reflash using a usb drive but it would not load the DOS on the usb drive.

Anyone know of a bootable program that I can use to test the motherborad?

Dead mother board or scrambled bios? thats the same thing DEAD if it can boot to a floppy pick up one from someone local plug it in flash the bios and throw it away. Most mom and pop stores have a bunch rat holed up in back. They should sell for next to free.

By the way if that is a new build you might need to swap out components to make sure it isn't the memory or other parts causing the issue!

BTW don't try to flash your bios until you verify the parts all work or you might have a bad flash and really have a bad board then!

Well, I manged to get windows to install, and besides some random constant artifacting there have been no errors so far.

I'm going to see if I can get windows working, run some tests and then maybe do a BIOS update/fix from windows.

Flashed the BIOS, updated without a problem. But I still have the random text during the boot up. I want to say that it is caused by the graphics card since there are some minor atrifacts on the screen but the graphics card has nothing to do with what characters are sent to the screen.

Back