Dead Island Multi-Monitor HUD & Menus Fix

HardOCP News

[H] News
For those of you that use multiple monitor set-ups, there is a HUD and menu fix for Dead Island posted in the WSG forums today. Follow the link for the file pack and installation instructions. Here is a gameplay video showing the game once the fix is applied.

Edit: Guess you did

I like how WSG is the go to place for fixes for lazy devs

I fail to see what the fix is given that all the hud elements are on the left screen, and that because of that the radar is completely messed up and not functioning correctly, with his friend on the center monitor the radar keeps thinking that they are on the right side (?!) when they aren't on the center of their screen or even the right side

The HUD should be on the center monitor and nowhere else. Otherwise, you are looking off into la-la land to find it.

Edit: Guess you did

I like how WSG is the go to place for fixes for lazy devs

Especially considering they manage to fix the game a few days after it was released which means the devs could probably have done it in a few hours with access to the original source code and pre exisiting knowledge of the engine.

Theyjustdontgiveashitsyndrome.facepalm.jpg

Especially considering they manage to fix the game a few days after it was released which means the devs could probably have done it in a few hours with access to the original source code and pre exisiting knowledge of the engine.

Theyjustdontgiveashitsyndrome.facepalm.jpg

The company responsible for Dead Island is known for being one of the shoddiest and laziest devs on the planet, its just for Dead Island they had a good viral campaign and it translated into sales

Everyone I know, repeat, EVERYONE I KNOW who has this game on PC hates it, its unoptimized, buggy, shoddy, interface doesn't work, laggy controls, poor PC options, etc etc

In fact the only two people who are actually happy with Dead Island is cause they got it for free, and they only play with friends, both of them think single player is like pulling teeth

The company responsible for Dead Island is known for being one of the shoddiest and laziest devs on the planet, its just for Dead Island they had a good viral campaign and it translated into sales

Everyone I know, repeat, EVERYONE I KNOW who has this game on PC hates it, its unoptimized, buggy, shoddy, interface doesn't work, laggy controls, poor PC options, etc etc

In fact the only two people who are actually happy with Dead Island is cause they got it for free, and they only play with friends, both of them think single player is like pulling teeth

That's the idea I'm getting. Something that had a lot of potential that's basically now a disaster to be avoided.

And you're right. The company has a terrible background. Not sure why anyone would really have had high hopes in the first place.

Thanks again to WSGF for all that they do in any event. :)

I have to agree with the above comment from Shamis. This release was a joke. Also, the game plays like a poorly ported console. Before I applied this fix, the game was unplayable with Surround. Also, the menu system sucks balls no matter HOW you break it down.

POS game, period.

I fail to see what the fix is given that all the hud elements are on the left screen, and that because of that the radar is completely messed up and not functioning correctly, with his friend on the center monitor the radar keeps thinking that they are on the right side (?!) when they aren't on the center of their screen or even the right side

Considering the fact that the menus/inventory is completely unusable in the vanilla game this is a large improvement.

It isn't perfect but it's a step in the right direction.

Game runs great on my PC with everything on high. It's definitely buggy but so far nothing game breaking for me. Interface is awkward (for the PC) but works. I don't notice any control lag. PC options could definitely be expanded in the menu, but to me it's not a deal breaker if I have to modify config files (if you're a PC gamer and can't stand to modify a config file here and there to get your ideal settings you should give up and buy an Xbox).

It sounds like your PC friends are either ultra critical or have just had bad luck with the game. I'm enjoying the PC version myself. While there are definitely issues, it comes down to the fact that playing it is fun for me and, so far, I continue to desire to return and play it more (which I can't say for a lot of games more polished than it).

Last edited:
Game runs great on my PC with everything on high. It's definitely buggy but so far nothing game breaking for me. Interface is awkward (for the PC) but works. I don't notice any control lag. PC options could definitely be expanded in the menu, but to me it's not a deal breaker if I have to modify config files (if you're a PC gamer and can't stand to modify a config file here and there to get your ideal settings you should give up and buy an Xbox).

It sounds like your PC friends are either ultra critical or have just had bad luck with the game. I'm enjoying the PC version myself. While there are definitely issues, it comes down to the fact that playing it is fun for me and, so far, I continue to desire to return and play it more (which I can't say for a lot of games more polished than it).

There is a difference between needing to modify a thing or two to fix your game, like Fallout 3/NV to turn off Vsync, which is easily done with easily accessible config files, or like Dead Island where you have to crack open every data pack, unzip, extract, hack with notepad or hex edit

Fallout 3/NV makes modding easy, Dead Island makes it hard

Its also why everyone hated Bulletstorm for PC, cause they locked out all the options on you

I have no idea how people thought a primarily melee driven game with very fragile weapons was going to take off. I was originally hoping for something akin to a l4d3 game with rpg survival elements that constantly progressed. Glad I waited until after release on this one (no pre-order).

Second line of thought: When can we see proper scaling on far left and right monitors that isn't one-forth to one-third the actual content that could be displayed on the center monitor. Perhaps more importantly, when can we see reduced resolutions for the far right and left monitors. I'd like to be able to see things in my peripheral for immersion and competitive edge's sake but my eyes are not going to need or be able to see maxed out resolution or graphical settings way over there, all it does is hurt my frame rate and give me another reason to reconsider using them at all (especially at 1/4 the content / stretchy objects). These concerns should definitely be addressed by developers at some point soon provided said developers are not the ones that think having extra screen real-estate is a form of cheating and gimp (stretch) the screen to compensate multi-screen users.

While that may or may not be true, it's worth pointing out that most developers these days still don't get widescreen/FOV/multi-mon working correctly at launch, this is hardly the first game that the folks over at WSGF have fixed for the developers.

It's just another one of them retarded trends which exists without rational explanation.

It's nice to know there is a fix out but i had no clue people here saw the game in such a negative light, myself and 17 others on my steam friends list have been really enjoying the game since it came out even with the minor bugs.

I guess it's all about personal taste in games and ability to ignore minor bugs.

I google'd WSG forums and it came back with international sex guide forum. Thank god I clicked the link in Steve's post and saw the link to widescreengamingforums afterwards.

Heh.

Do people on this forum count as someone you know? Because if so, now you know someone who disagrees with you. The game has its quirks to be sure, but after the first few days worth of patches, technically, it's working pretty decently for me. The interface isn't well thought out, but it does 'work.'

Back