• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Dead HD

Joined
Mar 15, 2005
Messages
13
I have 3 hard drives in my current rig. A Maxtor 40Gb, a Maxtor 120Gb, and a WD 200Gb. My OS and most apps are on my 40Gb, which still works. The 200Gb drive contains my videos that I pull from my camcorder and is in a usb external drive enclosure. The problem is my 120Gb drive. That contains my music, games, and personnal documents.

2 days ago I boot my PC, open windows explorer, and the 120gb drive (hereby known as the F: drive), doesn't show. I ran chkdsk and it told my I had problems with my MFT and that to fix it I had to run chkdsk /f. I wanted to check my options first so I try to open Partition Magic. On startup I get the error :
Init failed : Error 100.
Partition table is bad.
At that point I was pretty much ready to start crying. But instead I turned to google and found this. Basically the app claims it can repair partition tables. So I ran it, it scanned the drive for partitions (that took a glorious 32 hours), and it found NOTHING.

Oh dear god. So back to chkdsk I go. I run it with the /f option, but it did no good. My next step was to post here. Does anyone have any idea how I can either restore my drive's tables, or at least how I can pull the data from it? Or maybe I'm just screwed at this point... In any case, any help is most welcome!

Chart.
 
Ontrack Easy Recovery Pro 6.0.exe

i was able to recover over 40gigs of lost data on a hdd with a bad partition table...use the 200gig to recover the files to, sicne u cant recover files to the bad hdd...

it will take some time, for a 120gig i recovered from it took well over 6 to 8 hours...but it did work, and it saved my ass
 
P3N1X[H] said:
Ontrack Easy Recovery Pro 6.0.exe

i was able to recover over 40gigs of lost data on a hdd with a bad partition table...use the 200gig to recover the files to, sicne u cant recover files to the bad hdd...

it will take some time, for a 120gig i recovered from it took well over 6 to 8 hours...but it did work, and it saved my ass

Wow thanks a lot I'll look into that. You may just have saved my life!
:D
 
I know GetDataBack for NTFS (or FAT) is a great software program too. I once formatted but forgot to backup my Outlook.pst file; needless to say it was worth it.
 
Back
Top