• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Dead hard drive?

Dallows

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 18, 2004
Messages
6,816
So I've got this hard drive, it was my gf's and she wants the stuff off cause it's dead, well apparently. I don't know if there was any clicking, but when I hook it up and boot it doesn't seem to spin. It's not detected at all. Her dad said the logic board was dead. Any way I can go about getting the info off there? What information would I need to get a replacement logic board?
 
For a logic board swap you need a compatible logic board. You'll at least need the exact same model of drive as a donor, and sometimes there are multiple revisions of the same drive with incompatible logic boards.
Since it doesn't detect at all, it's quite likely her dad is right that it's a dead logic board. Were it a mechanical failure the electronics will usually be working at least enough to detect and report "I'm f***ed" to diagnostic software.
 
I realize it would be hard to get a replacement. There's no way to get the data off there right?
 
There are data recovery services that could probably extract it. If it is a dead logic board they could probably get all of it back. Of course, they're quite expensive.

Just out of curiosity, what model of drive is it?
 
it's a maxtor something something. I could find out what it is exactly if you want. and I don't feel like paying a service.
 
Back
Top