Dead Domain Controller

Vitamin_uk

Limp Gawd
Hi Guys,

I have a client who had two domain controllers. The 2nd domain controller suffered from a hardware failure, since then this server has been rebuilt given a new name and promoted back to the domain. Now he still has references to the old controller within his AD. Just wondering if I can go ahead and run a metadata cleanup on the main AD server to remove the old instances of the controller?

Is there anything to watch out for here?

Thanks In Advance

Sam:p

I'd want to know in more detail what steps you took to bring the 2nd DC into the picture. Assuming the first DC has faithfully been running nicely, and replication has been doing well between the 2? No "seizing of the roles" had to be done? You currently have one or both of the servers running all the roles, and one of them is the catalog server?

1st DC has always seem to run well. The only role which seems to be an issue is the operations master role, RID,PDC & infrastrucutre master roles are located on the 1st DC. However the operations master role is still stuck on the dead server.....?

I guess I will have to seize this role then transfer it?

Sorry also forgot to mention that yes the 1st DC is a GC.... the other server currently is not showing as a gc. The server was added using dcpromo I Believe.

Last edited:
You're going to want to seize the OM role before cleaning the old DC out of AD, should be good to go after that.

Cheers for that link noticed that before acutally. Going to pop onsite and take care of that tomorrow.

Once again cheers.

Back