• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dead CPU after changing heatsink?

plmartin

Gawd
Joined
Jun 16, 2005
Messages
715
I have a QX9650 system and decided to try out watercooling. Set it all up and it ran fine, but I wasn't happy with the temps, so I switched back to air cooling. Now when I try to boot the system, it continually reboots and the CPU fan doesn't spin. I tried out my old E6700 and it boots just fine. Is my CPU dead and what could have caused it? The only thing I can think is that maybe I broke the solder joint in between the IHS and die? I was using a Swiftech MCW6000 CPU block, so maybe I overtightened it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
 
it continually reboots and the CPU fan doesn't spin

Get the cpu fan to spin. There is probably nothing wrong with your cpu. It surely will not work without a working fan.
 
Turn off Q-fan on your motherboard or whatever they call automatic cpu fan speed control
 
Then I would not hook the cpu fan to the motherboard. In my opinion you damaged the motherboard in some way.
 
The cpu should in no way cause the fan to completely stop. If you have Qfan off then only the motherboard controls the fan. With Qfan on the motherboard adjusts the speed of the fan depending on the output of the thermal sensor on the processor. It should never set the speed to zero when the cpu is not halted.
 
I'm sure it's the motherboard's way of handling a problem. As I said before, the system continuously reboot.
 
One odd possibility; it needs more voltage.

From my experience, when a system just flat resets with no apparent 'crash' it's because the cpu is starved of voltage.


Try setting the vcore to auto and try disabling all the c1e state and thermal throttling.
 
Try plugging the fan into a different header on the mobo? Could just be a problem with the cpu fan header. Stranger things have happened.
 
Reset the BIOS completely. Also, see if you can find another motherboard to test the CPU in. It's technically possible that you damaged the CPU, but pretty unlikely.
 
Back
Top