Dead card after installing DNA drivers...

ohgod

Gawd
I installed the DNA version of 71.24 drivers correctly. Upon restart where it would normally say Nvidia 6800GT the screen is garbled ,then that screen goes away, it goes blank and my computer restarts. Nothing i've tried fixes it. I tried the card in another computer and it did the same thing. What should I do...

is it possible to rma it? also it was just a driver right? not like a bios or anything

I am talking to XFX through their web-sites support service. Yes it was just a driver install and its stock bios. Could dust or something fall on the card maybe bridging some connections to do this to my card?

I doubt it, but you could always use some canned 'air' and blow both the slot and card off and test it again if you want to cover all your options, but if you've put the card in another system and it does the same thing, it sounds like your card may be dead.

It would suck if my card just went dead randomly... Has anyone ever RMAed a card through XFX?

unless your dust is like metal, proof of that is when you see a 5 or6 year old pc that has no window tha tpeople dont much care for (liek dells or e-machines) they still work even though after openning the pannel dust blows all in your face and its all over everything

edit: im curious what score did you get on 3dmark 03 (sorry its a completely random question but you are or were running your card the same speed i am)

When I installed the DNA drivers on my EVGA 6800 Ultra Extreme it made the temps of the card go crazy...My idle went from 51c to 64c and the load went for 70c to 84c or so...

The DNA drivers need help :(

My card at the speeds in my sig were 100% stable in everything excpet 3dmark03. I lowered to clocks to 41/1200 and got around 11500. Back to my card, what do ou guys think about reflashing the BIOS on it?

that might work, but it definitely sounds like either something blew up or that card is overheating far faster than it should... you should be able to use it for like 2hrs before it borks.

my money is actually on overheating... there's a really ancient thread that i'll dig up (over 2mo. ago) where a fellow had similar probs and it was overheating. i'll go grab that.

Thanks for the help. I thought of the same thing and checked all the heatsinks(GPU,Memory, Voltage) and they all looked fine.

fire it up and touch it... tell us how hot the card heatsink feels... it should feel a bit warm but not really hot... about 30 C.

After getting these problems with the card I tried reseating the card and it didnt feel that hot. I'm going to try putting the stock pads back on the memory and see how it does.

hmmmmm... well... you're not gonna be able to rma it... it's almost certainly a pre-existing defect, but that doesn't much matter to those money-grubbing idiots.

ah well... capitalism does seem to work, we just have to put up with it :rolleyes:

my guess now is that it's indeed a borked bios or that *something* blew up somewhere.

wait... hunch... can you post a close-up pic of the board that is *not* blurry?

Yes I can get pics but I dont know where to host them.I have 2 questions: Why cant I RMA it? And why do you want upclose pics of the card?
Oh and which side of the card?

www.imageshack.us

if you modify it in any way... it voids the warranty. this unfortunately includes taking the stock pads off the mem.

what i'm looking for is something that's really hard to explain... but i need a clear shot of the pcb with solder joints and all... especially if there's an area where something doesn't look quite right.

ohgod said:
Yes I can get pics but I dont know where to host them.I have 2 questions: Why cant I RMA it? And why do you want upclose pics of the card?
Oh and which side of the card?

voided the warranty?

ohgod said:
I installed the DNA version of 71.24 drivers correctly. Upon restart where it would normally say Nvidia 6800GT the screen is garbled ,then that screen goes away, it goes blank and my computer restarts. Nothing i've tried fixes it. I tried the card in another computer and it did the same thing. What should I do...

Did you make sure that your fan is running?

Did you remember to plug in the external power connectors?

After entering Safe Mode (by pressing the F8 key as your computer boots), do you still see garbled images on the screen? If you don't, try uninstalling the previous drivers from within Safe Mode and use a program called Driver Cleaner to clean out all the old driver files.

Is your power supply perhaps failing? Or, is PSU adequately cooled? If your PSU is aging for is too hot, the actual power output from the PSU will be significantly lowered. With a low flow of power, you GPU can act up like that.

If none of the above works, I recommend putting your card back to its stock form as carefully as possible and do a RMA.

Edit: Also, look at the core and see if any Arctic Silver or whatever TIM you used is not spilt over all over the place. Since silver-based TIM are electrically conductive, you don't want those to be all messy around the core.

After cleaning any old TIM residue, try to put on some Artic Ceramique instead. That's what I use for both the core and GDDR3 of my BFG 6800 GT flashed to Ultra.

My card does not get as far as bootup options. When I start my computer I see a garbled version of when it says Nvidia 6800GT VGA BIOS and then the screen goes blank. After a while it may reboot or do nothing.

I need to get a PCI card and my digital camera to take pictures, thanks for all the help guys I appreaciate it

Okay I talked to the company I bought it from and they are going to replace it. Thanks for all the help guys.

Back