Dead 5870 or not enough power?

Spare-Flair

Supreme [H]ardness
I recently bought an Asus 5870 on clearance intending to Crossfire it. Before even beginning to attempt CF though, I installed in my system (alone) to test and everything seemed fine until I started to try a few games.

Without fail, the card will seem to be fine but without fail, usually within a minute of gameplay or when a larger scene is loaded (ie: walk from inside a room to outside a building which is much more intensive on resources), the card will hard crash and will freeze, with the fan on the card jumping to maximum speed (hairdryer mode) and the system hanging there with a black screen.

I haven't had any experience with the behavior of videocards where there PSU has been inadequate so I was wondering if this was a dead card or if these symptoms could perhaps indicate a power issue?

I have a 700W PSU with 50A on the +12V rail which should be perfectly adequate. I don't however, have any 8 pin PCI-E power connectors, of which this card requires one. I connected a 6-pin power connection and for the 8-pin, I used the molex adapter that came with the card. Could this be a reason for what is happening?

Eventually, I tried crossfire as well and had the same results, I swapped both cards in the slots and the same thing happened. The ASUS 5870 will hard crash quickly after 30 seconds to a minute or when I go into an intensive scene.

IE: I loaded a saved game of The Witcher which was saved inside an inn. While I am in inn, everything is fine. When I walk outside, it will work for a few seconds and then the screen will black out with the ASUS card jumping to max fan speed (like a card does when it doesn't initialize properly or has power issues).

When I turn off crossfire and remove the bridge and leave both cards in the system but only with my old XFX 5870 as the primary card, everything runs just fine. However, like I said before, I tried the system with the ASUS card only and it continues to crash in the manner I described.

sounds like a reason why it was on clearance......anyhow see if you can return for replacement or suck it up and get an RMA.

it's prolly under-power there a reason it a 8-pin connector and not 6-pin. didn't it come with a molex to 8-pin adaptor.

You do know that the molex adapter must come from 2 different lines from your PSU, right?...

I mean, you know that it takes 2 molex to 1 8pin, well each molex must be connected to a different main line cable from your PSU.

It's possible you've got your hands on a card that someone has owned before. Said owner could have flashed the card's BIOS and it didn't take well. I say that because a friend of mine has a 6950 that was perfectly stable for a long time until he flashed the card, then it started acting like your Asus 5870. When he flashed it back to the original BIOS, it was stable again.

I'd RMA it.

Last edited:
Perhaps try it in another system with a better PSU with a dedicated 8pin PCI-E and see how it goes before we call for a RMA.

Back