Deactivating XP PRO?

nicoritschel

Limp Gawd
Hi! Over the summer I'm going to build a new pc and I want to know if it would be possible to deactivate XP PRO from my current POS Dell(to put it on the new PC)? I will run some form of linux on the dell, so it will become a file server. Thanks!

-Nico Ritschel

you don't really 'deactivate' it. you just install it on the new computer and ensure that you no longer run it on the old computer, which as you said you'll be running linux or whatever. if activation doesn't work over the internet you call ms and either explain to them that you got a new computer and put xp on that and installed linux on the old one, or just say you did a major upgrade (read: everything).

You should just be able to reinstall it. Only after several changes, and multiple activations does it give you a hard time. I have replaced my entire system, reinstalled XP, and it activated first time.

Cheers,

Originally posted by nicoritschel
Hi! Over the summer I'm going to build a new pc and I want to know if it would be possible to deactivate XP PRO from my current POS Dell(to put it on the new PC)? I will run some form of linux on the dell, so it will become a file server. Thanks!

-Nico Ritschel

Oops, didn't notice this. You would violate your EULA by using that OEM copy on another machine. That copy is for your Dell only, and you are technically not allowed to install it on any other machine.

Unless I am wrong, but I don't think I am.

Cheers,

Most likely that Dell restore disk will look for a coded Dell BIOS. If it does not see it when you try to install to another PC it will stop install at that point.

Originally posted by Philip
Most likely that Dell restore disk will look for a coded Dell BIOS. If it does not see it when you try to install to another PC it will stop install at that point.

I agree, unless it's a copy you bought afterwards and put on the Dell, it won't work on anything else.

Yeah, those dell disks only work with the dells. Its given me alot of problems before about it.

Well...that sucks! I think my dad has an extra copy of windows 200 Pro lying around somewhere. Does 2000 Pro have to be activated? Thanks for the quick replies!

-Nico Ritschel

Win2k does not require activation. Sadly, it's what I consider the pinnacle of MS OSes, with NT4 close behind (if NT4 only had real DX...)

I'm running 2000 pro and it's better than xp home edition. Haven't used xp pro so i wouldn't know.

Originally posted by darthdavid
I'm running 2000 pro and it's better than xp home edition. Haven't used xp pro so i wouldn't know.
it's not hard to beat xp home ;)

Can't he just download XP (which is techniqually legal since he owns it) and use the cd key on his case during the installation on another machine? Then if it doesn't activate tell Microsoft you just reformatted your computer and it wants you to activate.

If you really really want to do it (and there is a possibility that you will have problems) Do a fresh restore to the Dell HD, and then use Ghost or PQDI to image the drive to the new systems HD. But you could end up with a BSOD on boot, or it could work fine. Or you could borrow a friends XP CD and use your key off of the sticker on the side of the Dell. Be warned though as not all keys work on all CD installs.

Have fun :D

Originally posted by hardwarephreak
If you really really want to do it (and there is a possibility that you will have problems) Do a fresh restore to the Dell HD, and then use Ghost or PQDI to image the drive to the new systems HD. But you could end up with a BSOD on boot, or it could work fine. Or you could borrow a friends XP CD and use your key off of the sticker on the side of the Dell. Be warned though as not all keys work on all CD installs.

Have fun :D

This might work and might not with the image it'll depend on things like the chipset. Also the bottom line with OEM discs is they arent transferable EVER. The deal is and you can see this on the dell box is that once an OEM os is loaded onto a machine " thats it"---- yea yea I know guys dont say it --- but the point is that the box where the COA label is adheared is supposed to be it. If you change the mobo and all the junk in THAT chassis your fine but you cant/ arent supposedto move it to another. Also what everyone said about the dell disk is correct, Most multinational and larger system builders create a "restore" disk that is BIOS lock to that MOBO.

Here's from another thread earlier

The End User License Agreement (EULA) for OEM software, including Windows XP, states that the software is licensed as a single integrated product in connection with the hardware. However, it's important to remember that the end user cannot see nor accept the electronic EULA until the software is installed on a fully-assembled computer system. So, even though the original OEM software unit may have been distributed with a component, like a hard drive, it isn't until the software is installed on a fully-assembled computer system that it becomes "married" to the hardware.

In general, OEM software may not be transferred from one system to another system. However, the computer system can certainly be updated with new components without the requirement of a new software license. The only exception to this is the motherboard 1. If the motherboard is replaced 2, the computer system is deemed "new" and a new license would be required. Other PC components may be upgraded, including a hard drive. Though if the hard drive 3 is replaced/upgraded, the operating system must first be removed from the old hard drive. To restate: the operating system is "married" to the computer system on which it is originally installed.

This link might help if your registered
https://oem.microsoft.com/worldwide/514341.asp.

One of the questions at the above link is this one

My customer bought a new PC and wants to move their software from the old PC to the new one. Can't they do whatever they want with the software?

The software is licensed with the computer system on which it was originally installed. OEM licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be installed on more than one computer system. The EULA states that the license may not be shared, transferred to or used concurrently on different Computers. A new operating system license will have to be acquired for the new PC.

Just giving the guy some options:D

But if you want to get really technical about it...you can't....as many legal groups question the legality of EULAs in general. However, no case law is available to dispute it as a contract which has any legal power (read: no one has sued to be able to do what this user wants to do....they usually just do it)

But according to MS you are not purchaing their software...you never in fact purchase their software...you merely purchase a license to use their software.:rolleyes:

But according to MS you are not purchaing their software...you never in fact purchase their software...you merely purchase a license to use their software.:rolleyes:

100% correct .

Originally posted by theTIK
Can't he just download XP (which is techniqually legal since he owns it) and use the cd key on his case during the installation on another machine? Then if it doesn't activate tell Microsoft you just reformatted your computer and it wants you to activate.
No, because the license is 'married' to the hardware with an OEM license. Even if you buy and OEM license from newegg with a mobo, technically you can't reinstall that license on a new mobo. For that you would need a retail license. This is with XP, other OSes could read differently.

This might work and might not with the image it'll depend on things like the chipset.
There are techincal ways around that, we just can't talk about it since it's violating the license... But believe me, there are ways to image one machine and put that image on any other machine, even laptop to desktop, or P-90 to A64 with few exceptions.

Originally posted by Philip

I got a Dell recently (few months back) and it came with an OS CD (with Dell labeling on it), I believe. At any rate, I managed (easily) to use that CD to reinstall (or was it a repair? I'm not sure which, as it was a couple months ago, but if you swap/clone the hard drive, you could do a repair) XP Home on a Compaq that didn't come with an OS/restore CD.

YMMV

Originally posted by Phoenix86
No, because the license is 'married' to the hardware with an OEM license. Even if you buy and OEM license from newegg with a mobo, technically you can't reinstall that license on a new mobo. For that you would need a retail license. This is with XP, other OSes could read differently.

Actually the software isn't physically coded to the hardware that is purchased. It is only married upon activation. I installed a new board, new processor, new ram, new hard drive, and its still activated. When they talk about an OEM copy from Dell, or IBM, or HP there is a tailored OEM EULA that you must accept that doesn't allow you to transfer that software to another PC. That is why there are recovery CD's not a WinXP CD.

On the other hand an OEM copy of the software is discounted at the retailer because it is intended to be sold with a piece of hardware. It doesn't really matter what kind of hardware, like my copy was bought with a stick of ram. It just saves your money, and the retailer gets more (because you most likely will add the OS as PART of your order). It can be transfered. So the OEM license that you get from Newegg is still a vaild license on your new computer. Just as long as your old one doesn't use the OS a the same time. The OEM information that is linked in this thread has to deal with companies like Dell, or HP not NewEgg (unless its sold with a prebuilt system, then I have no clue, but if I buy the WinXP CD, and License, and Activate it, and it lets me I figure I haven't violated the License.

Wow thats longer than I expected!

Cheers,

Originally posted by Eigtball
On the other hand an OEM copy of the software is discounted at the retailer because it is intended to be sold with a piece of hardware. It doesn't really matter what kind of hardware, like my copy was bought with a stick of ram. It just saves your money, and the retailer gets more (because you most likely will add the OS as PART of your order). It can be transfered. So the OEM license that you get from Newegg is still a vaild license on your new computer. Just as long as your old one doesn't use the OS a the same time. The OEM information that is linked in this thread has to deal with companies like Dell, or HP not NewEgg (unless its sold with a prebuilt system, then I have no clue, but if I buy the WinXP CD, and License, and Activate it, and it lets me I figure I haven't violated the License.

MS EULA does not allow for transferring an OEM license from one computer to another *period*. It does not matter where you buy it from or if you even bought it with a computer or simply a computer component.

Although OEM may allow you to reactivate the software on a replaced motherboard or another computer system, the fact remains the written EULA itself does not allow for such transfers.

After 120 days, even system builders are supposed to provide a *new* license if they replace a faulty motherboard with an exact replacement.

Its a primary reason why I *don't* sell or preinstall OEM software from MS.

Originally posted by SJConsultant
MS EULA does not allow for transferring an OEM license from one computer to another *period*. It does not matter where you buy it from or if you even bought it with a computer or simply a computer component.

Although OEM may allow you to reactivate the software on a replaced motherboard or another computer system, the fact remains the written EULA itself does not allow for such transfers.

After 120 days, even system builders are supposed to provide a *new* license if they replace a faulty motherboard with an exact replacement.

Its a primary reason why I *don't* sell or preinstall OEM software from MS.
Yep and the perfect reason to scout out a cheap retail license at a university/college for single purchase.

Prove it. I await your response.

Here I'll help...here is a link to the system builder OEM license that is attached to each 3-pack/30-pack I buy...show me where.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/downloads/X0933534LBL.pdf

I already know about it, do you honestly think MS is going to post the *entire* agreement on each and every pack? I did the OEM thing and still have a current agreement with Microsoft on it. I didn't know it myself until I found this FAQ on their website and verfied it via phone with them.

If you've got a login to the OEM portion of the website then this link will work, otherwise, I posted the Q&A from their website.

http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpage.aspx?pageid=551162

"1. The motherboard on a computer I sold to one of my customers has failed. Does my customer need a new license for the Microsoft software that was preinstalled on that computer?
Microsoft Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) software is licensed by you to your end user customers to be used solely in connection with the computer hardware with which the software was distributed. The foregoing restriction is reflected in the terms under which you licensed the software to your end user customer. Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on your customer’s computer and the end user customer may maintain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software, with the exception of an upgrade or replacement of the motherboard. If the motherboard is replaced, then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating system software is required.

The motherboard is the “essence” of the personal computer. Without a motherboard, there is no computer. In contrast, a personal computer may, for example, function without a keyboard, a mouse or even a hard drive. Accordingly, given the nature of the motherboard with respect to the functionality of a personal computer, an exchange of the motherboard (whether an upgrade or replacement) is considered to result in a “new personal computer” to which Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. Note that recovery media and/or the Microsoft hologram CD that may be supplied with a new computer may be BIOS-locked or has Windows Product Activation technology. Windows Product Activation and BIOS-locking are designed to prevent the software from being installed or transferred to a different computer system or motherboard. You have the privilege and responsibility of running your business as you see fit. This includes offering any warranties and extended warranties associated with the personal computers you build and distribute. In order to reasonably assist you in this regard, to the extent the applicable computer and motherboard are returned to you under a warranty, return or replacement policy for end user customers adopted and customarily honored by you in the ordinary course of business, you may replace the motherboard and return the computer to the end user with the original Certificate of Authenticity (COA) label and Microsoft OEM operating system software originally installed on the computer provided that:

The computer was returned to you by the end user customer within 120 days of the date of your distribution of that computer to the end user customer; and
The computer was returned to you by the end user customer along with the COA and all recovery media.

2. I offer a warranty that is longer than 120 days. If one of my computers is returned for replacement of a failed motherboard after 120 days, may I still return the computer to the end user with the same COA and installed software?
No, new operating system software must be installed and distributed with a new COA when you return the computer if it was returned to you more than 120 days after the date of your distribution of the returned computer to the end user customer.

To the extent you provide warranty coverage in excess of 120 days, you are of course free to do so but it is up to you to absorb that cost of business or pass it along to your end user customer. You have the privilege and responsibility of running your business as you see fit. This includes offering any warranties and extended warranties associated with the personal computers you build and distribute. In that context, we view this issue as an issue between you and your end user customer. "

Microsoft has tons of backward policies. Its funny because with the company I work for we build systems and have our own recovery CD for the systems we sell that is also bios locked just like dells and others, but with respect to the above questions and answers, we have a rider on our agreement that allows us to "refurbish" our recovery disk systems. This little add-on is the key to avoiding the problems above, Since we offer a 3yr warranty if a system comes back and we have to replace the mobo and such we then return the original and resell it back to the customer as refurbed and VIOLA..

BUT if a customer returns a system we built for them with the regular OEM software after 120 days. Then we have to abide by the OEM agreement up top.. needless to say we dont sell many copies of non-recovery o/s's..

I stand corrected good sir:p (at least partially)

This does not apply to all situations however. We are also a warranty provider for several large OEMs. We have had to replace motherboards before, and in such cases, no new operating systems are required for the PCs. Granted we are required by each of them to reinstall the windows back to original spec (if the customers requests it).

Good thing I don't sell motherboards with 120 day warranties. I had no idea...hmm...well we give out loaners while customers wait for the RMA process to take its course so I guess we haven't really had an issue with this yet, but you gotta love the BS that MS comes up with.

I stand corrected good sir:p (at least partially)

This does not apply to all situations however. We are also a warranty provider for several large OEMs.

:p The larger the OEM, the more bargaining power one can throw around ;)

Originally posted by NitroZip
I agree, unless it's a copy you bought afterwards and put on the Dell, it won't work on anything else.

That's not true. You *can* install Dell's included (XP) OS on other computers. I've done this so I can attest to it.

As for activation, you also *can* install any flavor of XP onto no more than 2 computers at once and not get any activation probs. I can also attest to this, using 2 XP's, on 4 completely different computers.

Originally posted by versello
That's not true. You *can* install Dell's included (XP) OS on other computers. I've done this so I can attest to it.

As for activation, you also *can* install any flavor of XP onto no more than 2 computers at once and not get any activation probs. I can also attest to this, using 2 XP's, on 4 completely different computers.

Please don't spoil an otherwise perfectly good discussion by posting anything else that otherwise constitutes software piracy.

No one is stating that you can't physically do it, we were discussing the merits of EULAs, software licensing, etc.

This thread has been a great discussion so far. Let's not delve into muddy waters. I think bringing to light a lot of misconceptions of how OEM actually works is great for everyone in general. I'm learning new stuff all the time from you guys.

did some searching and this thread was a great help!

I bought X64 pro system builders from newegg for my system. I hate it! If I buy xp pro and remove x64, can I legally sell it on ebay? From what I gather here, the os is married to the machine, but does that refer to homebuilts? I still have teh case and all that newegg sent me

I was trying to find info on deactivating x64. Can I call MS and talk to them about it or am I stuck with a $140 OS that's practically useless to me?

Back