DDWRT = Packet Loss?

blacksunseven

Weaksauce
So I recently received my WRT54G v6 from eBay and immediately flashed it with DDWRT v24-sp1 micro. There were a few hiccups along the way but everything's been "running" for about a week now. My Internet (Comcast, ugh) is miserably bad though. While speedtest.net may give me hopeful numbers it definitely does not translate into real world performance and I'm finding this connection hugely lacking in reliability and enjoyability.

I've been trying to figure out whether or not my router, modem, or connection is the culprit though or if its some combination of any of those. So, obviously, first step I ran modem straight to my computer and ran a couple of ping tests to Google, Yahoo, etc... and found 0% packet loss with an average ping around 23ms. Next, I hooked up my router and computers through that and ran a couple of pings and found approximately the same results. Today, I come home and ping test again and get between 5% and 25% packet loss with an average latency of 224ms. What gives?

I didn't have time to fool with it and I just checked it again about two minutes ago to find 24ms latency, 0% packet loss. It seems to range up and down as I've seen this happen other days as well. I would love to attribute it to a shitty connection but that does mean a lot more work on my end dealing with Comcast... but I wouldn't have to replace any hardware.

I guess, other tips and answers aside from [H], has anyone experienced poor performance with DDWRT or the v6 WRT54G router in general? My modem, btw, is the Linksys BEF10CMU (solid, I believe).

when you're seeing packet loss like that to a website, do a constant ping to the router.

this should help eliminate where the issue is.

if you're seeing packet loss to (eg) yahoo.com, but not to your router, your internet connection is the most likely culprit.

if you're seeing packet loss to the router, then I would start disconnecting other computers first, to see if a particular computer is hogging the bandwidth.

if after disconnecting all but the 1 computer and you're still getting packet loss, start testing with the other computers, and only leave the 1 computer connected that you're testing.

the "testing" you've done has done nothing to determine where the issue is. Because you have not completely eliminated any other computer from being the culprit, or even the router. Since you stated that everything was working, you hooked up the router and everything was still working.

Also make sure your wireless is either disabled or secured.

on another note... the computer you're using to test with the router in place... wired or wireless connection?

Linksys router always sucked for me. When I bought a dlink gamer router. So much of a improvement.

my DDWRT54G has been running flawlessly for years.
it only got better when I put HyperWRT/DDWRT on it.

I have the same config as you OP, including firmware. I have periods where my bandwidth tanks, but that is the limitation of my ISP, not on my side.

I did have the exact issue you did, which is why I decided to try DD-WRT before tossing the router out. It helped the issue drastically where the packet loss does not occur anymore. Maybe the config is corrupt?

The first time I tried to flash to dd-wrt, all my tabs came up in jibberish. After an update, worked fine.

when you're seeing packet loss like that to a website, do a constant ping to the router.

this should help eliminate where the issue is.

if you're seeing packet loss to (eg) yahoo.com, but not to your router, your internet connection is the most likely culprit.

if you're seeing packet loss to the router, then I would start disconnecting other computers first, to see if a particular computer is hogging the bandwidth.

if after disconnecting all but the 1 computer and you're still getting packet loss, start testing with the other computers, and only leave the 1 computer connected that you're testing.

the "testing" you've done has done nothing to determine where the issue is. Because you have not completely eliminated any other computer from being the culprit, or even the router. Since you stated that everything was working, you hooked up the router and everything was still working.

Also make sure your wireless is either disabled or secured.

on another note... the computer you're using to test with the router in place... wired or wireless connection?

Pinging the router 168 times resulted in a packet loss of 0% and average = 0ms. This would be more promising if, when I got home today, I didn't have to restart my router... All the test results I've posted have been on a wired connection but my wireless connection usually had similar results (I'd try the wired then the wireless). My wireless is certainly secured.

Pretty sure the config. isn't corrupt but if I don't see maintained improvement over the next day or so I'll prob. try the beta version of ddwrt and then flash it back to vxworks and just sell the POS.

Back