DDR800 ram in SD32g2?

chomsky

Limp Gawd
Like many of you guys here on the board, I've fell victim to one of the many great ram deals in the past month and bought some ballistix DDR 800, and was planning on building a SD32g2 or SK22g2. Finally decided for the SD, and as I was buying it I noticed someone claiming that their ddr800 wouldn't work. So I checked the specs and it's true, not supported. I've never thought of worrying about having ram that was too fast for a rig, is this a deal breaker and has anyone gotten ddr800 to work in either of these shuttle where it's technically not supported?

Also, as for the SD, obviously I'm going to OC it, so I'm also concerned that if it works, is this ram mismatch going to affect that in some way?

it is supported, but not by default. you will be 'overclocking' if you want to use ddr2 800

Thanks, that's what I was assuming. I mean, I've run ram at faster than it's rated speeds with more or less no regard for supported chipset specs, this would just be kind of like skipping that step. If anyone has any opinion (even if it's in support of this conclusion) please throw a quick post so I can get some kind of consensus, I'll be ordering it sometime tomorrow.

I had to buy DDR2 667 memory to even get my SD32G2 to boot; it does not run at all with DDR2 800 memory installed; not even with the BIOS fully updated.

I got some Corsair Value RAM last minute at Fry's on sale to get my build finished before coming back to college... pretty unexpected.

It still doesn't run with DDR2 800 installed into the motherboard; doesn't work at all.

Back