DDR4

Sparky

2[H]4U
Remember the days when you could purchase quality RAM by the stick? Nowadays they all come in kits. I didn't think it would be this hard finding memory for my new build but its the last item which I haven't ordered because in order to get what I want I need to buy twice as much. To get what I really want I need to buy 4x. I could go in halves with someone else in the same boat.
I only need 2 sticks for Pete's sake. Corsair has just 1 offering for 16gb. None for 32gb. What happens when if a stick goes bad and you need to replace just 1?
What I want is 2x16gb 2800 MHz Dominator Platinum for my AsRock X99E-ITX/ac. I do not want to buy 8 sticks to only use 2 unless I find 3 others that will commit.
Do they sell single sticks?

This is because the current DDR4 platform on X99 has a quad channel memory interface. You really do want four sticks in there, as opposed to dual channel memory interfaces that are standard on the non -E lines of processors like Haswell.

As soon as Skylake drops in August, I guarantee you'll see TONS of 2x8GB and 2x16GB DDR4 kits from all the usual suspects.

EDIT: I just re-read and saw that you have that one miniITX X99 board with two DIMMs.. heh. Well in that case you're pretty much going to be either getting single sticks (there are lots of single DDR4 sticks out there) or waiting for a dual stick kit in August/Sept.

I dont mind getting single sticks if I could find them and not settle for something I do not want.

That board is just.. I don't get it, but don't mind me.

To answer your question - I see quite a few individually sold 8GB DDR4 dimms on newegg and amazon, but the 16GB desktop dimms seem unavailable.
Despite their website, I see a few from Corsair:
CMK8GX4M1A2400C14R [2400LPX]
CMV8GX4M1A2133C15 [value select]
CMK8GX4M1A2400C14 [2400LPX - older rev I believe]

is there a difference between 2 or 4 sticks in skylake also? or is that just for x99

or is that just for x99

Currently x99 is the only platform that uses DDR4 however whenever skylake comes out I would expect some more dual channel kits.

is there a difference between 2 or 4 sticks in skylake also? or is that just for x99

The Z170 platform for Skylake will be dual-channel, just like Haswell, Ivy, Sandy. Your best performance will come from matched pairs (2 stick sets) of RAM sticks.

X99 is the only platform currently using a quad-channel memory bus/controller. Best performance comes from matched 4 stick sets.

Back