DDR4 max speed with Threadripper / Ryzen

Zinn

2[H]4U
Apologies if this is the wrong forum - I recently switched from an Intel X299 motherboard to X399 / Threadripper, and kept the same memory (4 x 8gb Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3466)

On the Intel system, the memory ran perfectly at 3466 (the primary XMP profile). The AMD system randomly reboots unless I dial back to the secondary XMP (DDR4-3333 1T). On both motherboards I have to manually enter the rated 1.35 voltage, since the detected 1.2v is too low.

I don't really care that much about ~133mhz, but I'm just wondering if Ryzen is generally less able to handle faster memory, or is there perhaps some room to tweak it further?

if Ryzen is generally less able to handle faster memory

Correct. Ryzen does not currently work as well with memory overclocking.

Also make sure you have updated your BIOS.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum - I recently switched from an Intel X299 motherboard to X399 / Threadripper, and kept the same memory (4 x 8gb Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3466)

On the Intel system, the memory ran perfectly at 3466 (the primary XMP profile). The AMD system randomly reboots unless I dial back to the secondary XMP (DDR4-3333 1T). On both motherboards I have to manually enter the rated 1.35 voltage, since the detected 1.2v is too low.

I don't really care that much about ~133mhz, but I'm just wondering if Ryzen is generally less able to handle faster memory, or is there perhaps some room to tweak it further?

You can tweak a little higher, try bumping the vsoc and ram voltage up .1v. Prior to most recent bios, I had to run the ram voltage at 1.4v to get it to run at rated (2933) speed, but no longer need to.

You can tweak a little higher, try bumping the vsoc and ram voltage up .1v. Prior to most recent bios, I had to run the ram voltage at 1.4v to get it to run at rated (2933) speed, but no longer need to.

Isn't the official speed 2667 for Threadripper? Do you actually see much improvement with that small bump? (I'm gathering info for my next build.. I haven't upgraded my mobo/cpu in 6 years. I'm wondering if the jump in RAM speed potential is worth it as I'll have to make the switch to DDR4.)

I have a G-Skill 3866 quad-channel 32GB DDR4 kit. I'm currently using it in an Intel box that I'm thinking about swapping out for Threadripper.

I know the AMD can't push the memory this hard, so I can't set on XMP and forget.. but I should be able to manually tune the RAM, no? I haven't used a Ryzen or TR system yet, so just checking in on this. Thanks.

It's sorta luck of the draw with CPU, mobo, amd RAM. On day 1 I could run my ram at 3200 CL14 on a 1700 and gigabyte k7 with no issues, while others couldn't for months.

I have a G-Skill 3866 quad-channel 32GB DDR4 kit. I'm currently using it in an Intel box that I'm thinking about swapping out for Threadripper.

I know the AMD can't push the memory this hard, so I can't set on XMP and forget.. but I should be able to manually tune the RAM, no? I haven't used a Ryzen or TR system yet, so just checking in on this. Thanks.

I'm sure one of the others will also answer this, but I've been doing a lot of reading on the issue. My understanding is that officially the support is 2667 (why AMD calls it 2667 instead of 2666 like everyone else is anyone's guess). From there, it is still technically over clocking using xmp profiles (which almost all the x399 mobos support). You'd have to manually adjust it, but it shouldn't be an issue. It may be worth checking the VQL list for your specific mobo though, just to make sure your RAM is listed. Other manufacturers may work, but you'll definitely know it's compatible if your RAM is listed.

Isn't the official speed 2667 for Threadripper? Do you actually see much improvement with that small bump? (I'm gathering info for my next build.. I haven't upgraded my mobo/cpu in 6 years. I'm wondering if the jump in RAM speed potential is worth it as I'll have to make the switch to DDR4.)

That was the rated speed of my ram, point is you can still tweak things to get more speed. Mine required a small voltage bump, but subsequent bios revisions no longer require that for it to run at 2933. The difference isn't really noticeable that I can tell by itself, but everything adds up and since my ram is rated for that speed I see no reason not to run it.

It's somewhat of a silicon lottery situation with your CPU, RAM and motherboard. That said, with current AGESA code and BIOS revisions I can hit 3200MHz on almost anything with an overclock that's close to the edge, if not at the edge of what a given CPU can do. I can definitely go higher with stock or near stock CPU clock speeds in some cases.

I recently put together a Threadripper system and must have won the silicon lottery. My 1950x runs at 3.95 Ghz on stock voltage. It crashes after several hours of stress testing at 4.0 w/stock voltage. I have the RAM at 3600 Mhz (quad channel) with G.Skill TridentZ 3733 sticks. This is on the ASRock Taichi board with the latest bios.

My Ryzen 7 will do 3200 Mhz RAM no problem but occasionally gets a little unstable at 3466 when running a stress test, even with the same TridentZ 3733 RAM.

I recently put together a Threadripper system and must have won the silicon lottery. My 1950x runs at 3.95 Ghz on stock voltage. It crashes after several hours of stress testing at 4.0 w/stock voltage. I have the RAM at 3600 Mhz (quad channel) with G.Skill TridentZ 3733 sticks. This is on the ASRock Taichi board with the latest bios.

My Ryzen 7 will do 3200 Mhz RAM no problem but occasionally gets a little unstable at 3466 when running a stress test, even with the same TridentZ 3733 RAM.

Speeds are getting better with newer AGESA code releases. TR was never as bad as AM4 was either. Hitting 3200MHz was always much easier on TR than AM4. I have hit 3600MHz on mine but I haven't been able to do that on every board.

Back