DDR4 ECC Registered Memory

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
I have a boatload of memory sticks from a vBlock upgrade. They are Samsung branded DDR4 ECC Registered memory, and I'm having a difficult time finding any board or computer that would take them, without costing an absolutely fortune. Any ideas? Seems like the registered part is the sticking point.

I assume it will likely be a Xeon setup, but I'm open to AMD is that's an option.

Memory.jpg

I've been told X99 boards with Xeons would be able to handle this memory, but I'd like to find some kind of definitive answer, or a list of boards and specific Xeons that would.

Thats pretty much xeon server ram and should work in any v3/v4 board. I have some of those sticks that are Crucial branded in my supermicro X10SRH-CLN4F. Thats a huge list you’re asking for compatibility of, and only the cisco ones will be garunteed.

Check out Ebay for some supermicro xeon v3/v4 boards, lots of boards that can use this are past their 4 year refresh cycles and are up for salvage.

X99/C612 and later xeon platforms, but those are overpriced right now IMO. With TR and now even AM4 being what it is the 2011v3 socket used market should start tanking IMO.

Actually forget what I said, wanna buy a 22 core E5v4? ;)

The Precision 5810 does use registered memory. The factory memory should be registered. Note that you can't mix registered and unbuffered. I have purchased several sets of the 8GB DIMM version of the linked crucial ram for the 5810s we have here at work.

I would be using all identical 16 GB chips, so, hopefully, they will all work. Thanks, I think I'm going to order one.

Take any Asrock x99, or any C612 board whatsoever, and read the memory QVL. Search for modules that have the same configuration (e.g. 2Rx4). If they match, then teh board will support your modules, no matter the brand. To be even more safe, choose modules with the same density. The same stands for epyc boards.

Note: I got 4 modules identical to yours in an Asrock X99 taichi.

Last edited:
It's only an option with Epyc CPUs. No other AMD processors will use DDR4 REG ECC.
Yes right, but Epyc CPU are cheaper and better than Xeon. However motherboard is expensive and huge. The low cost ones are sold between 500 and 1000 euros in Europe and the smaller are EATX. They usually have 16 memory slots. The cost of the CPU is a little more than the same Ryzen CPU but at lower speed, and reaches 2 to 3 times the price of the equivalent Threadripper but at lower speed with lower TDP. At the same level of performance it's always around 2 times cheaper. So if you can provide all the 16 slots with a huge amount of memory at no expense, it's obviously a great solution if you make use of it (workstation for heavy works).

Mind that you can't mix registered, fully buffred and unbuffered even if all are ECC. Not sure if you can't mix after all registered and fully buffered but I doubt it. Also registered rAM can comme up to 128GB per RDIMM, maybe more when it's rare to find unbuffered 32GB even non ECC.

Fingers crossed on fast DDR5 ECC in 2020!

I question what CPUs will use that. Probably ARM first although it is unclear if AMD will switch sockets at the next generation (Zen3 ) or not.

Wait to see if Threadripper 3 stuff, I mean TRX40 motherboards support registered DIMM. If not, the best deal are the C422 boards on 2066 socket (which cost the double of same socket X299 boards without ECC) supporting brand new Xeon on par with 9980 and 10980 line. They are announced at $1300 for 18 cores. You can put 8 DIMM in one C422 motherboard.
Mind that ECC UDIMM has become much less expensive and you can find 8x Kingston server 16GB 2400 ECC UDIMM for around $600.
So all things considered your 16GB only and at 2133 RDIMM even for no money will be compensated by the better performance of 2400 and less expensive price of AMD supporting ECC on UDIMM (X399 or AM4).
Would have been great to have 32 or 64 (or even 128) GB RDIMM with better speed.

Reactions: P1x3L
like this
I question what CPUs will use that. Probably ARM first although it is unclear if AMD will switch sockets at the next generation (Zen3 ) or not.
Intel Xeon may use it but as we do not know anything about Intel strategy which they are clearly hiding it could be at the beginning of 2020. It has been leaked they will use DDR5 and PCIe 4.0 with 10nm in 2020 and just after that 5.0 (in 2021 with 7nm EUV).

Back