DDR333 PC2700 w/ 266 FSB CPU?

Vegeta

Gawd
I am going to be receiving a XP 2000+ on a Gigabyte board soon in the mail from someone as an upgrade to my aging computer, and I will be needing get some new ram for this system.. right now a 512MB stick of Crucial PC2100 (DDR266) on NewEgg is 85$... while a stick of Crucial PC2700 (DDR333) on NewEgg is 86$...

In the FAQ it says with AMD cpu's running the FSB and memory at different speeds even if the RAM speed is more than the FSB will degrade performance... I was wondering by how much will it degrade and if I would notice? Reason being I plan to upgrade to possibly a barton or something else later and don't want to buy new memory then, as it is only a buck more to get it now... so would I be OK running the DDR333 with the 2000+'s 266FSB? And if not, is there an easy way to underclock the ram's bus speed to 266 safely and easily? I am not really sure what kind of motherboard I am getting, as the parts were free from a friend and so I do not know what kind of BIOS settings it has. Plus I have never messed with anything to do with RAM in the BIOS. Also my friend says that he thinks the board may be unstable, but doesn't really know, he was just goingt o throw it all out anyways until I said I could use it... I was hoping to use it anyways if it was workable but would something like this make it worse?

Thanks

Should have read the rest of the FAQ.

You can run DDR333 or even DDR400 at lower DDR266 speeds, easily. Look in your bios, for a DRAM Ratio or Frequency option. And set it to 1:1 or 100%. This is in relation to your FSB. Setting it to 1:1/100% will force the memory to run at the same as frequency as your FSB, which is how it should be at all times.

Back