DDR3 RAM for Z77

Hey guys, I'm trying to choose the right RAM for a new Z77 build (most probably an Asus).

1. Are there any disadvantages to populating all four slots of a board? I hear there might be stability issues when using four DIMMs (as opposed to only two DIMMs), is there any truth?

2. Is it better to get slightly better timings/frequencies/voltages (e.g. 1866 MHz) to make sure the DIMMs would operate reliably within the specced parameters (e.g. 1600 MHz), especially with four DIMMS? I've read about people not being able to run the RAM at the advertised timings unless overvolting, etc.

3. Some brands, like G.Skill, sell chips tested for 2400 MHz or even higher frequencies. Are they simply factory over-clocked, possibly higher binned?

4. Is there any brand that "guarantees" you'd get quality chips under the heatsinks? Like it was with Crucial a while ago, you were pretty sure to get Micron chips.

Thanks.

Hey guys, I'm trying to choose the right RAM for a new Z77 build (most probably an Asus).

1. Are there any disadvantages to populating all four slots of a board? I hear there might be stability issues when using four DIMMs (as opposed to only two DIMMs), is there any truth?

2. Is it better to get slightly better timings/frequencies/voltages (e.g. 1866 MHz) to make sure the DIMMs would operate reliably within the specced parameters (e.g. 1600 MHz), especially with four DIMMS? I've read about people not being able to run the RAM at the advertised timings unless overvolting, etc.

3. Some brands, like G.Skill, sell chips tested for 2400 MHz or even higher frequencies. Are they simply factory over-clocked, possibly higher binned?

4. Is there any brand that "guarantees" you'd get quality chips under the heatsinks? Like it was with Crucial a while ago, you were pretty sure to get Micron chips.

Thanks.

1. older chipsets certainly had some issues. the most recent generations, not really.
2. most memory manufacturers (corsair, crucial, g.skil, samsung et. al) RAM will perform at the timings/freq/voltage stated on the packaging. they (mem makers) also state the chipsets they're apparently validated for. you can pretty much ignore the list that the RAM 'works best with'. all DDR3 will work in any DDR3 MB regardless of whether the mem makers says its for 'AMD' or 'Intel'. with intel it's recommended to uses modules rated at 1.5v or lower however.
3.yeah don't know about this tho i guess that's right.
4.no clue.

my bother needed a new desktop recently so i picked up a 'ASUS Maximus V' Z77 MB & 16GB of g.skill DDR3 1600 (4x4) RAM. no issues during installation or during stability testing. RAM went straight in, MB picked up the SPD timings (9,9,9,28 - 1600 @ 1.5v), no dramas.
it probably doesn't hurt to 'MemTest86+' your modules individually then with all DIMMs populated as soon as the system is up. better off ID'ing bad modules sooner than later.

Last edited:
I know the smart choice would probably be DIMMs without a heatsink but I'm thinking to go a little nuts with a 1866 MHz kit. :)

The choice would be among these 3 brands, in order of preference. What do you guys think?
- Crucial Ballistix Elite
- Corsair Dominator Platinum
- G.Skill RipJawsX

Crucial was really famous, last time I built a DDR2 system, for having Micron chips. Not sure if that's still the case...

I'm a little worried that except for G.Skill, I couldn't find the height of the other DIMMs, I hope everything will fit alright. :|

Crucial was really famous, last time I built a DDR2 system, for having Micron chips. Not sure if that's still the case...

Crucial is owned by micron, so I hope they are using their own chips.

Some brands, like G.Skill, sell chips tested for 2400 MHz or even higher frequencies. Are they simply factory over-clocked, possibly higher binned?

These are overclocked chips that you have to overclock your ram controller to use at the overclocked speed meaning you may or may not be able to use them at the speed that they are sold at.

Populating all four slots can mean lower max CPU overclocks or higher CPU voltage to maintain an overclock versus just using two slots. Difference is usually miniscule though.

Get the Samsung 30nm RAM. Overclocks like crazy while using low voltage.

And keep this in mind: because of the insanely efficient IMC of SB and IB, memory speed and latency mean nothing to maybe very little anymore.

The only difference you'll be able to tell between 1333 and all the way up to 1866+ memory speed is in synthetic benchmarks geared towards testing the memory. In the real world, you will not be able to tell what's under the hood by doing normal tasks: surfing the web, opening programs, and playing games.

My advice has and always will be: if you are building an intel LGA1155 system, don't waste the extra money on faster speed/lower latency memory. Just get the cheapest priced 1333 or 1600 kit from a reputable brand in the capacity you want.

And keep this in mind: because of the insanely efficient IMC of SB and IB, memory speed and latency mean nothing to maybe very little anymore.

The only difference you'll be able to tell between 1333 and all the way up to 1866+ memory speed is in synthetic benchmarks geared towards testing the memory. In the real world, you will not be able to tell what's under the hood by doing normal tasks: surfing the web, opening programs, and playing games.

My advice has and always will be: if you are building an intel LGA1155 system, don't waste the extra money on faster speed/lower latency memory. Just get the cheapest priced 1333 or 1600 kit from a reputable brand in the capacity you want.

really? like honestly?

is there no noticable difference between a 1333 bus 8gb kit and a 2100 bus kit?

why is that? i mean that should be a huge increase in speed.....?

why is that? i mean that should be a huge increase in speed.....?

There is a difference in memory performance however in most applications memory does not bottleneck the CPU (Intel has a very effective fast cache) so faster ram translates to very little real world performance gain. With that said there are some applications that show a large increase in performance by using faster ram.

There is a difference in memory performance however in most applications memory does not bottleneck the CPU (Intel has a very effective fast cache) so faster ram translates to very little real world performance gain. With that said there are some applications that show a large increase in performance by using faster ram.

Yes, but unless the computer is being built with a specific program in mind that does take advantage of the faster memory (I'm not convinced that significant gains is the right term), the faster speed/lower latency is just not worth the added cost for 99% of us.

Yes, but unless the computer is being built with a specific program in mind that does take advantage of the faster memory (I'm not convinced that significant gains is the right term), the faster speed/lower latency is just not worth the added cost for 99% of us.

Fully agreed.

RAM is RAM is RAM.

Buy a 1333 or 1600 kit with the cheapest price and a lifetime warranty. Take the extra money you would have spent on useless "heatsinks" and meaningless timings and put it toward something that actually matters in real world scenarios such as a faster GPU or an SSD.

One of my systems is an Asus Sabertooth Z77 with 16 gig Patriot Viper 2133 mhz and
I7 2600K oc'd to 4.8 ghz.....no issues...oh that's in my sig....nevermind

Back