DDR3 Question.

Skyne

n00b
Joined
Jul 8, 2009
Messages
8
To start off, I've "recently" built a system during the early x48 and 9800s era.
Due to the high prices at the time and with the total cost of 2 grand excluding the $300 22 inch monitor (sigh), I was only
able to buy 2x1 Gig 1333 Ram. It was only a matter of time that I've realized that
2gig was just not enough for my extensive multitasking activities.

Well, my problem is that DDR3 Rams are now more affordable than ever but with much more variety now that x58 motherboards are out. I was wondering if the x58 DDR3 Ram will work with my x48 motherboard which also requires DDR3. And if so, if I buy a pair of 2x2Gig, will both sets be able to run in dual channel totaling at 8 Gig?

My current hardware are as follows:
XFX 790i Ultra Motherboard
Q6600
2x 9800 GTX on SLI (One is +)

Will the new DDR3 have any conflicts with those?
And sorry about my rant in the beginning. With 2 grands, I've couldve
built a "decent" i7 system if I had waited. Sigh.
 
Be careful. The biggest thing here is, x58 kits come in 3's where as dual kits come in 2's. Also RAM for i7's are running at different (lower) specs as far as voltage and all that. You would have lefter over ram modules.


I'd say just go with a DDR3 dual channel kit.
 
Ah I see.
This may have saved me quite a few hardware issues in the future.
Thanks for the input mate.
 
There is nothing forcing you to leave your 3rd DIMM out of the system.

Most northbridges will use dual-channel for what is available, and just run single-ch. on what is left.

I am using 3x2GB on my X38 board, and still running dual-chan.
 
Huh?:confused: How are you doing that? If you put two sticks in the black slots lets say, and only one in a blue slot, it forces the board into single channel. Have you run CPU-z?
 
Last edited:
Huh?:confused: How are you doing that? If you put two sticks in the black slots lets say, and only one in a blue slot, it forces the board into single channel. Have you run CPU-z?
75cpuz-dualchanel.jpg


Maybe nVidia's weak-sauce* chipsets are unable to do this? My 975 board can do this as well.

* Just a joke, y'all. ;)
 
Back
Top