ddr3 price crash

War Zone

Limp Gawd
buy some now if you need any .

iv seen 2 gigs go for like $20 us .

shop around cus this deal is just like the last one when ddr2 prices crashed meaning prices will probably 3x when the music stops.

thanks Mr Weatherman, i was far too lazy to look out the window.

DDR2 did not crash and then climb 3x. DDR2 prices are still what they were 4 years ago. its old tech and manufacturers are not moving large volumes anymore and are not sinking R&D money into reducing costs for a technology that will soon be dead; which is the reason the price of DDR2 has been flat for years, even when DDR3 prices have been falling.

DDR3 is cheap now because of the current volume of sales, and improved manufacturing techniques creating better margins for the producers. unless everyone stops using DDR3 tomorrow, prices arent going up. DDR3 manufacturing is in full swing and will be for at least another 18-24 months before DDR4 starts gaining mainstream acceptance.

Last time I bought ddr2 modules they were $17 shipped....that was a while ago though. They finally have been pretty close to this just recently.

I was actually going to post and see what everyone's opinion was on DDR3 prices. I won't be doing my upgrade for probably 3 or 4 months, but I was thinking about picking up 8Gb of DDR3 today before the newegg 15% off deal is over. I don't need it right now, but I'm afraid of missing the boat on the current prices, or prices actually going lower for that matter.

I can get this set of GSkill for $89.99 AC, which seems like a pretty good deal:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

I'm pretty sure I know what ghost thinks, but I'd like to hear some other opinions as well.

DDR2 prices did crash, at one point you could get 2x2gb commonly for under $20. I don't see how you are finding this price new today? For instance the lowest 2x2gb on Newegg is $60. I don't mean a very rare sale price either, literally every 2x2gb "performance" (rated at higher then normal speeds) ram kit from brands like Corsair and etc. were under $20.

DDR2 price was actually in such excess supply, they were being sold at a loss by the manufacturers, this actually eventually caused some memory makers to go bankrupt or to survive on government subsidies.

I'm not sure if you will see such extreme drops for DDR3 due to the different circumstances however. I feel though prices still have room to trend down one year from now, more so for kits rated at higher speeds.

Hmm will ddr3 prices remain at where they are now in the coming months or rise? Cause I am waiting for april so that I can build my pc and wondering if i should wait then to buy ram or get it now?

I'd say just go for it now. If you keep waiting for prices to drop, you'll end up never buying anything. It's not like you are waiting for a car to depreciate in value so you save 10-20grand. It's just ram. I bought some 2x4GB 1600 G.Skill Ripjaws before Black Friday for $150. Now they are $100s. It's just $50. That's like a few hours of work.

yeah, Just like JL6speed said go for it...

8GB is pretty much good enough for everyday use, gaming, and even video and photo editing...

Went ahead and bit. I figure it probably won't go down much more than that for 8Gb, and if it does it hopefully won't be by much.

yeah, Just like JL6speed said go for it...

8GB is pretty much good enough for everyday use, gaming, and even video and photo editing...
Even 4GB is good for everyday use and gaming, with photo-editing. But with 8GB you can always run a lot of virtual machines at once.

DDR2 did not crash and then climb 3x. DDR2 prices are still what they were 4 years ago. its old tech and manufacturers are not moving large volumes anymore and are not sinking R&D money into reducing costs for a technology that will soon be dead; which is the reason the price of DDR2 has been flat for years, even when DDR3 prices have been falling.
Really? Are you sure about that?

newegg.png

neweggt.png

newegg.png

neweggc.png

Interesting graphs and thanks showing me something new (Camelegg)

They also track...

* camelcamelcamel - Amazon.com
* camelbuy - BestBuy.com
* camelcamper - Backcountry.com
* camelegg - Newegg.com
* camelsounds - zZounds.com
* camelstock - Overstock.com

Back