DDR2-667 in an i915PM Mobo

Merithiel

n00b
I decided to upgrade RAM on a 2 year old notebook of mine.

It orignially has some Corsair ValueSelect 512MB of DDR-400 in there with the code being: VS512SDS400.

Technically, the motherboard, an Intel Alviso i915PM, claims to accept up to two 1GB 200-pin DDR2-533 modules, but the one that is in there right now is a regular DDR-400. I've never seen a DDR2 notebook module yet but I think they have that gap in the pins in a different place.

Additionally, I recently ordered 2 1GB Patriot DDR2-667 200-pin modules. First of all, will they fit properly? Second of all, will the mortherboard underclock them to 533 for sure? Finally, will I be able to run them Dual Channel (they are part of a kit)?

If anything, I've other notebooks that I can stuff them into where they'll work for sure...

Also, how large a boost in performance should I expect? I generally have hardly any free RAM at any time with MemTurbo on.

are you sure you currently have ddr1 and not 2? I'm not sure if alviso supports ddr1.

I have an alviso as well and have a 1gb stick of geil 667 on the way. Hoping to get another stick of something and run 2gb maybe. Whatever, single vs dual channel isn't that much of a difference in this situation. I'll get to that in a bit.

I'm not entirely sure what ram dividers the system has, but assuming 133strap, it'll have at least 1:2 and 2:3, for 266 (533) and 200 (400).

Now, if it were to support 333 (667), it'd need a divider of 2:5 and I don't know if that exists.

Chances are though it'll just run at 533 with better timings.

And onto the point of dual channel, if you've got two sticks, it can do dual channel, although the difference isn't much at all. You have to consider the fact that you're already running such a large upscalar of 1:2 that any inefficiencies that would have been alleviated by dual channel wouldn't be a big deal at all just because of how much faster the ram is than the bus. I'm probably talking out of my ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ about this, but at least from what I've seen of dual channel on my alviso, it really made an incredibly negligible difference.

edit: ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
edit: what the hell?!

Ahh. Thanks.

I'm quite sure the DDR(2?)-400 stick I have right now can run at both 400 and 333.

I've no idea what a RAM divider is...need to find out...

Thanks again.

Update.

I got the RAM today and upon comparing it to the stick that was inside the intended notebook, they were different. The gap was around 1 mm away from where it is on the DDR2 modules that I received.

Trying to stick it in my Dell 1405 now...

Edit: The memory in the ECS piece of crap notebook was definitely DDR1. The modules fit perfectly into the dell. It's certainly REALLY strange that the i915PM only takes DDR1...very strange.

Just wondering, but would it be possible to file into the module a bit to extend that gap so that it fits? I'm not planning to waste $35 to try it...

Other way around. File the SO-DIMM...

It still wouldn't run correctly, though, right?

doesn't matter which you file... you'll still blow everything up

Back