DDR being reported as SDR?

Obmas

Limp Gawd
I have an a8n-sli board and 2 sticks of corsair xms 3200 1gb. When I boot my system it says "single channel memory" but shouldn't it say dual? I read my manual, looked through my bios, searched the intarwebben, and sifted through countless forum threads. I'm just at a loss at this point on how to resolve this issue and would like to use the full potential of my pc. Here is a pic of my specs, memeory in slot 1 and 3 are the same:

myspecs.gif

Try the newest CPU-Z. Version 1.29

Also run some Everest or Sandra memory benchmarks.

Umm, my problem still exists. Help please anyone? You can just point me in the right direction.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but DDR and SDR have nothing to do with dual or single channel...

Other than that, I am not entirely sure why your board won't recognize the dual channel setup.

Some boards have thier DualChannel side by side, some of the earlier s939's did, I think. Double check your config with that thought in mind. Also, your memory is showing up correctly, as far as the name is concerned. The real name for DDR is acually DDR SDRAM, and I see that's what your board shows, so I think you are OK in that sense.

Thank you, you have cleared up what was keeping me from solving this problem.

Your MOBO should be able to run in two DDR DIMMs in dual-channel mode. To enable dual-channel, you must install a pair of DIMMs in the correct slots. It's either 1-2 or 1-3 depends on the MOBO - the color code is different between manufacturers - read the manual. Only the correct configuration will enable the dual-channel mode.

Good gawd the ill information here kills me.

"DDR" and "SDR" denote the type of RAM chips that are on the stick. Has nothing what so ever to do with single or dual channel. That has to do usually with the memory bus. Most if not all PC memory buses are simplex and cannot transmit on recieve. So a 128bit memory bus can only send or receive 128 bits at any one time. To alleviate that as a bottleneck manufactures have hacked that bus in half and given you two 64bit channels so that you can send and recieve at the same time but in half that data sizes. It manages to work marginally better.

As noted by AMD[H]unter you have to verify that you're RAM is properly configured as it sits in the slots. If it doesn't work the first time get back in there and move it around. You don't need the OS to tell you what the RAM is doing. As I understand it most BIOSes will tell you if it's dual channel when it's done counting the RAM.

As for Registered and ECC RAM you don't want any of that shit unless you're building a high end server and need data integrity along with large amounts of RAM. Both will slow down your access time to your RAM but will guarantee that the data sitting in RAM is good and where it's supposed to be when it's called upon.

End of lesson. :rolleyes:

Back