DDR 4 specs

Building new PC with an ASUS B550M motherboard and AMD 5700G APU, no graphics card. I know these things like fast memory so I will likely use DDR4 3200 memory. At one time I knew what those timing numbers meant, but those brain cells have left the building. I know smaller is better.

I am NOT looking for a tutorial, just which of the four numbers is most important.

If you want to brag on your favorite brand, go ahead. Any benefit going to 3600 or higher on that mobo/CPU combo ?

That’s very basic info that you’ll probably find more beneficial to quickly look up. If you have specific questions I’m sure we can help.

If you want to use the APU for gaming then memory bandwidth is very important and I would go for DDR4 4000 minimum.

Also try to get two dual rank sticks or 4x8GB single rank.
Timings matter to CPU performance more than the APU but it all adds up.

For high RAM speeds I would be looking at a ITX MB or a full ATX MB as unfortunately as far as I know there is no mATX MB with a 6 layer PCB they all have just 4 layers which limits RAM frequency a bit.
Some of the cheapest MB I know of with 6 PCB layers.
ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus
MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro V2

But if gaming performance is not so important and you just want to save some cash then what you have should be fine.

So if you want to spend extra to get the most out of the IGP a good option would be

F4-4000C16D-32GVKA 16-16-16 $264​

Any 16GB sticks with timings over #-19-19 at 4000 has a high probability of being single rank.

Last edited:
Back