ddl's popularity

no2censorship

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 20, 2008
Messages
393
Why is super lossy 16/48 ddl preferrable to 24/96 (or just 16/44.1) WMA Lossless 2 channel?

The compression ratio isn't a huge difference.
 
I'm guessing it is because people like 5.1 over 2.0? By DDL you mean Dolby Digital right?
 
Yes, but why sacrifice clarity and dynamic range for more speakers?

If you're going to get 5 channels of 128 kbps lossily compressed sound fx ~5.5:1 (with 16/44.1 quality) then what good are the positional audio fx? They're low quality. BGM doesn't benefit from more channels, and that's 1/2 the audio.

Is more channels a nearly unanimous preference among gamers?

I know that lossless doesn't always make a huge difference, as some sounds lossily compress very well to the point where one can't tell in a double blind test (but certainly not all sounds/music/voice), but I still prefer lossless 2 channel over ddl.
 
for music i prefer 2 channel by far if its a good sound system,and not crap.for games,and dvd viewing where its actually coded for multichannel.it can sound alot better,but stil yet depends on the quality of the sound system in question.
 
Back
Top