DD-WRT or Tomato

A ton.

Go read the feature list between them. dd-wrt has more features. Tomato less, but some say more stable (not in my experience though).

Look at the features list of both. DD has several versions, from light to full. Tomato is purely a light minimal one. More features than stock firmware. I'd wager that 99% of most people never use 99% of the additional features DD brings with it anyways.

I'ved used both on many...many different routers over many years, I prefer Tomato. It's snappier, and doesn't have to be rebooted now and then like DD sometimes does.

Look at the features list of both. DD has several versions, from light to full. Tomato is purely a light minimal one. More features than stock firmware. I'd wager that 99% of most people never use 99% of the additional features DD brings with it anyways.

I'ved used both on many...many different routers over many years, I prefer Tomato. It's snappier, and doesn't have to be rebooted now and then like DD sometimes does.

X2. I run Tomato on my Buffalo router. I don't care for DD-WRT at all.

Tomato unless you're a crazy tweaker who needs absolute control. It's still head and shoulders above the stock firmware.

Haven't used Tomato so I can't speak to its features/stability but I've had great success with DDWRT across many different router models over the years. Stable, powerful, and more features than one can handle.

so both tomato and dd-wrt can replace the stock linksys firmware for routing/nat

i.e. they both do pretty much the same thing just with different features

so both tomato and dd-wrt can replace the stock linksys firmware for routing/nat

i.e. they both do pretty much the same thing just with different features

Vastly different features. DDWRT literally has pretty much any feature you can think of. The big difference imo is DDWRT can be run any a number of routers where Tomtato is fairly limited.

how does dd-wrt compare to pfsense?

It has many of the same routing capabilities and the same wireless abilities more or less. However pfSense has many many more useful features then DD-WRT. For instance pfSense has the ability to install transparent proxy, gateway AV, multiple different VPN technologies, IDS, and mroe.

It is like comparing a feature phone to a smartphone. Sure both can text, talk, and email, and both have a facebook app, but the featurephone can't really do anything else where as the smartphone can do everything.

I used to have a WRT54GS with Tomato plugged into a small UPS. At one point I checked and was surprised to see that it had over 1 year of uptime. Hard to beat that kind of stability for a home use device. Never should have sold it.

If Tomato does everything you need, I'd recommend that. DD-WRT seems more like a hacker's toy, whereas Tomato feels more like a finished product, IMHO. I'm currently using multiple instances of each, but Tomato just seems simpler when I don't need the extra features of DD-WRT. If you actually need something that isn't in Tomato though (multiple SSIDs is probably the biggest one for me), that sort of narrows down the choice for you.

I never have to reboot my dd-wrt firewalls, and some of the features are indeed useful. My Dad has one setup so I can PPTP into his house for support. 'Not a state of the art VPN, but it works.

Steve balmer ranting: TOMATO... TOMATO... TOMATO.....

MORE TOMATO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TOMATO FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! x googleplex = ?

I'm using Tomato USB for one of my AP's right now. It was a little clunky getting set up because some settings are available to edit even if they don't do anything due to the AP's mode.

Back