dd-wrt on wrt54g v4, bridge mode

so i flashed a wrt54g with dd-wrt today and connected it to my wireless network and created a bridge.
dhcp does not work through this bridge however. I had to set a manual ip for my computer that's connected to it.
any idea where i may have messed up, or does it just not work for some weird reason.

more info.
main router is an ISP provided cable modem - wireless linksys router WCG200 v.2
64bit wep key on channel 10
linksys wrt54g v4 with i flashed it with this file:
Mini-Build required for inital flashing via WEB dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin 2008-07-27 2,77 MB
main router is 10.10.10.1
dd-wrt router is 10.10.10.2

set the same wep info on the dd-wrt, and named it the same as the other one.
went to status -> wireless -> site survey -> found my AP and clicked join.
it connected and i could get to my other computers, but not the internet. so i tried 10.10.10.1 for DNS and still couldn't. So then I put in my ISP dns info and was fine.
I restarted the dd-wrt router and then my computer wouldn't renew the ip, so i set it manually.

and that's where i am at. it works fine. but i would like dhcp to work through it if possible.

Thanks

are you trying to use the dd-wrt router to expand your wireless network?. if so, why use bridge. use the repeater option. it'll expand your wireless range and give you dhcp capability. Universal Wireless Repeater

I had the same issue with my WRT54GL bridge, I flashed a friends with a micro build(WRT54G, same hardware revision as GL)and it worked. Who knows? my GL runs tomato now in client mode for my console(this treats the wireless connection to your main router as the WAN, the bridge router then DHCP's its own IP addresses to all of the connected clients)

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3810281

Last edited:
What mode do you have it in? Bridge Client or Bridge Repeater?

I have never had an issue with using mine in bridge repeater mode. DHCP should just come right through with no issue as it is just extending your network through the wireless and ports on the router.

Under one of the first tabs there's an option to setup the DHCP. IF your ISP provided router is doing DHCP, configure your router as a DHCP forwarder and specify the IP settings. I don't have a DD-WRT devices around otherwise I could explain it better.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish if the ISP router has wifi and does DHCP? Do you have access to any of the configuration options?

Under one of the first tabs there's an option to setup the DHCP. IF your ISP provided router is doing DHCP, configure your router as a DHCP forwarder and specify the IP settings. I don't have a DD-WRT devices around otherwise I could explain it better.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish if the ISP router has wifi and does DHCP? Do you have access to any of the configuration options?

Its worth a try, but you shouldn't have to do that. I have never done that and it always works fine because the Bridge just works as a extension of your network and forwards everything through, including DHCP requests.

Its worth a try, but you shouldn't have to do that. I have never done that and it always works fine because the Bridge just works as a extension of your network and forwards everything through, including DHCP requests.

I've never played with them in bridge mode, usually use them as access points and set them up to forward DHCP. You can speciuify the DHCP, gateway, and I think DNS.

I have used them as APs, Bridges, Clients, and never had to mess with the DHCP forwarding.

I think you are only supposed to need it if they are on different subnets.

Back