DD-WRT on Wireless N

capnstabn

Gawd
I currently use a wireless bridge with 2 WRT54GL routers. I do lots of file transfers between the two networks so the extra speed would make a huge difference. I am currently looking to purchase 2 Wireless N routers with gigabyte switches. There is a compatibility list on DD-WRT....but I was curious if anyone is actually running this kind of setup and how do they like it?

Runnin DD on a wrt150n, works well. Much better range than the couple of different version wrt54gl's I ran.

Nice! Those 150s look like a good deal but I need to have gig switch =(. May just pull the trigger on the 320N models.

I've messed around with DD-WRT on my 610N, but it's not really finished baking yet... too many issues with the dual radios. I'd probably get a 320N if I were to do it all again.

Just to follow up...I went out and purchased 2xWRT320Ns. Put the latest copy of DD-WRT on them and I can stream 1080p bluray rips from the media server to the ps3 like butter. This was way impossible on the WRT54GL wireless client bridge.

Does anyone know how these aforementioned DD-WRT compatible N routers compare to something like a D-Link DIR-655 in terms of reliability and performance? I'm quite curious.

Does anyone know how these aforementioned DD-WRT compatible N routers compare to something like a D-Link DIR-655 in terms of reliability and performance? I'm quite curious.

Haven't seen comparison charts on new hardware...as the big factor is "what hardware is it installed on".
To compete against the rather powerful DIR--655...you'd have to install DD-WRT on rather equally powerful hardware...something like the Linksys/Cisco WRT350n or WRT650n.

I have seen comparison charts using it on the old wrt54gl series..comparing stock firmware, against DD-WRT, and against Tomato.
The differences in performance were very minimal.
What wasn't rated was stability, hard to duplicate in a lab environment.

See article here:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30437/55/

Myself, I haven't seen performance increase much at all, you can squeeze out a little more range, and stability is increased...esp Tomato.

I will say stability on my WRT54GLs running DD-WRT v24sp1 standard firmware was awesome. Never had to reboot the devices. Only had the 320Ns for a day and still tweaking.

Back