DD-WRT client bridge issue

kent

2[H]4U
I've got a ASUS AC66 router plugged into my Comcast cable modem (regular dumb modem), it's running the Merlin (OEM-modified) firmware

I've got a Netgear 3400 router flashed with DD-WRT (latest build), it's a replacement for another N router that died on me.

Anyways, I went to set client bridge like always. Main router is 192.168.1.1 so I set DD-WRT router as 192.168.1.2, set the wireless modes to client bridge with matching SSIDs for my 2.4/5GHz radios, input the correct security keys on the security page (AES), then I put the router in router mode (from gateway)

Basically, I followed the instructions on DD-WRT's website just like anyone would, which worked perfectly until the other router died.

This time around as soon as the DD-WRT router reboots with its bridge information saved it immediately causes some sort of conflict on my network and kills the internet and all network connections. All devices lose their IP address. It's like the DD-WRT router is somehow shutting down the network and my default router.

TL;DR:

Main router: 192.168.1.1
DD-WRT router: Client bridged to 192.168.1.2, SSID and security is correct, SPI firewall off, router in router mode.

What the hell am I doing wrong? Thanks!

if you connect to the ddwrt router (if able). what ip/netmask/gateway do you end up with?

i haven't done this in a while but i don't think 'router' mode is needed since your ddwrt will just bridge your current network and not be routing a new net

your ddwrt is not running dhcpd correct?

As soon as I boot up the DD-WRT router the entire network goes haywire and I have to 30/30/30 the DD-WRT router and start over.

Correct, in CB mode dhpcd does not run. Tomorrow I'll try as just "Gateway" instead of "Router" on "Operation Mode"

Thanks!

Back