• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Dd i just kill my procesor? No paste

bluesmap

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 13, 2006
Messages
147
I ordered everything except the thermal paste. Installed everything and powered up then few minutes later powered down. There is no paste on the cpu.

Is this a major screw up? I dont plan on turning it back on for fear of damaging my cpu.
Its a 2500k, stock settings, stock cooler fan
 
OEM Intel cooler has thermal interface material on it. Verify the cooler is installed properly and all corners are secure. The push-pins can be finicky sometimes. If you remove it to inspect it, you will need to clean off and replace the TIM. Power it up, go into BIOS and monitor temperature there for a few min.
 
It's entirely possible. It's also entirely possible that it's fine.

I would just make sure the correct amount of TIM is applied and try and boot it up. Chances are it's fine.
 
Na, it will be fine. I have tried to kill the new CPUs from Intel and it is damn near impossible until you start pouring mass voltage to those. I run these K series CPUs all the time without even having paste or the heatsink attached if I have to do something on the desktop that is only going to last a few minutes.

And I KNOW all about killing CPUs.
 
thanks kyle and others for the info!
my man cave entertainment center is carved up in the attic and its pretty darn cold up there, but thought i'd ask without givin that info out.

i have ordered the arctic silver paste though, just to be sure i dont cause a nuclear or mushroom cloud
 
well technically you could use penut butter or any paste with water in it, infact there was a thermal past review not too long ago which used unconventional pasts such as Vegemite. (Which is a paste made from alge to be used on bread, i think, honestly can you eat this stuff)

http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm

Of the thermal pastes Vegemite actually beats them all, that is in the short term. Thermal paste should cure and dry out and retain its properties.
 
everything is running fine at the moment. cpu temps are 42c / 43c right now.
i want to order either xigmatek loki or the hyper 212 plus by tonite or tomorrow morning, along with paste.

actually, i have an entire new system and i didnt have to format my drive. the motherboard accepted my old drive, i couldnt be happier...but that's another story
 
thermal paste isn't a necessity.

This is bad advice. No thermal material whatsoever (paste, pad etc) is a terrible risk on your CPU if you plan on going more than a day or 2 without it.

VERY basic/minimal tasks maybe, but any extended gaming or multitasking with no thermal paste is really dumb.
 
Last edited:
yeah i bet the push pin crappy intel heatsink was not fully seated. i hate those damn things, i did the same thing a few weeks ago when i was installing my old Q8200 into my brothers PC and had to use a stock intel cooler because i didnt have anything better around. first boot up it posted started to go through the pases and shut down shortly after post. i was like WTF. try again shut down even faster. i'm like hmmm let it sit for a bit longer before next try because i suspected overheating. tried again went straight into bios to check temps and it was at 100C easy and then it shut down. checked the heatsinks stupid push pins pressed even harder this time and now its golden workin like a champ :)
 
Remember the old days when people would use a refrigerated bottle of vodka as a short term benching heat sink? I don't remember paste on those.

Then again... for prolonged use, something to assist in thermal transfer to the heat sink would be very useful.
 
This is bad advice. No thermal material whatsoever (paste, pad etc) is a terrible risk on your CPU if you plan on going more than a day or 2 without it.

VERY basic/minimal tasks maybe, but any extended gaming or multitasking with no thermal paste is really dumb.

What kind of risk would that be? Causing it to thermal trip which'll make it run so slow that you'll toss it off the nearest balcony?
 
well technically you could use penut butter or any paste with water in it, infact there was a thermal past review not too long ago which used unconventional pasts such as Vegemite. (Which is a paste made from alge to be used on bread, i think, honestly can you eat this stuff)

http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm

Of the thermal pastes Vegemite actually beats them all, that is in the short term. Thermal paste should cure and dry out and retain its properties.


vegemite is made from yeast. its not made from algae at all, and its f**king delicious
As a kiwi I was born and raised with vegemite and marmite.
 
This is bad advice. No thermal material whatsoever (paste, pad etc) is a terrible risk on your CPU if you plan on going more than a day or 2 without it.

VERY basic/minimal tasks maybe, but any extended gaming or multitasking with no thermal paste is really dumb.

I don't think he was serious. But honestly, you won't kill an Intel chip by not using paste as it'll just clock down when temperatures get high. The computer might freeze but the cpu will survive. Older AMD chips on the other hand, won't clock down and will begin sending smoke signals :D

Who remembers that old Tom's Hardware video where they pulled off the cpu cooler while running a Quake benchmark on each chip to see what would happen?
 
Lmao @ smoke signals.
Would be a shame to lose a 2500k after i went through hell to get it. Out of stock and all.

The good thing is im looking forward to winter.
Ambient temps in the "man cave" get close to freezing with heater off LOL but then i cant type!!!
 
What kind of risk would that be? Causing it to thermal trip which'll make it run so slow that you'll toss it off the nearest balcony?

The CPU still has to reach a very uneasy temperature before doing so . Stressing the CPU to the point of the cut off isn't my idea of a good time and can degrade the hell out of it. As I (even kyle) have said, light/brief use is one thing, but prolonged use without thermal material is not a good idea,

Why anyone argue against having a TIM is beyond me. One $10 tube of goo will last you multiple builds.
 
Last edited:
The CPU still has to reach a very uneasy temperature before doing so . Stressing the CPU to the point of the cut off isn't my idea of a good time and can degrade the hell out of it. As I (even kyle) have said, light/brief use is one thing, but prolonged use without thermal material is not a good idea,

Why anyone argue against having a TIM is beyond me. One $10 tube of goo will last you multiple builds.

I'm not arguing against using TIM. Just that forgetting to put some on isn't that big of a deal anymore. Pumping a shit ton of voltage through them is far worse than overheating them, and far more people do that than those that take a pass on the paste.
 
I killed a core2Duo 6600 because of one of those damned Intel stock heatsinks....

Was changing CPUs on a board, forgot to return the BIOS to default, the sink was loose, turned the comp on and due to poor heat transfer and the increased VCore of the overclock I forgot to disable......I heard a loud "clunk" and the CPU was DOA.

Only time that's ever happened.

OP.......I recommend Noctura NT-H1 paste (no curing needed) or ArcticCooling MX-4.

Both perform a scootch better than AS and are non-conductive.:D
But then again.....there's always cheese.:eek:
 
I highly doubt that would kill the processor. The thermal paste helps fill in the gaps between heatsink and cpu, but I have seen intel processors throttle down so much that they were able to stay running in windows when the heatsink came completely off (in a test)

when temps reach a certain level it should shut down, but i dont think it would be damaged.
 
like alot of people said, its pretty darn hard to kill a cpu these days. your cpu is fine.
 
Lmao @ smoke signals.
Would be a shame to lose a 2500k after i went through hell to get it. Out of stock and all.

The good thing is im looking forward to winter.
Ambient temps in the "man cave" get close to freezing with heater off LOL but then i cant type!!!

You must be mistaking 2500k for Bulldozer....;)

Intel CPU's have had superior CPU thermal protection for years now... You'd sooner kill it with over-volting than overheating... Paste helps, but is NOT a requirement...
 
You want to try RMAing a CPU with Intel and tell them you weren't using any sort of TIM?

If it's a "retail box" CPU and you use the included heat-sink with Intel pre-applied paste, or pad, I don't see where you'd have a problem....:rolleyes:

PS
This is the heat-sink Intel is using for SB CPU's (and earlier) and a you can see, there is thermal compound on it already... If that's what the OP used, he's good to go...

4.jpg
 
Last edited:
You cant hurt CPUs from heat anymore.

They throttle when they get too hot. And if they get any hotter they simply shut off to protect themselves. The only way to fry a CPU is to put too much voltage through it.

They can realistically run at 100c before taking any damage but they shutdown short of that temp anyways.
 
If it's a "retail box" CPU and you use the included heat-sink with Intel pre-applied paste, or pad, I don't see where you'd have a problem....:rolleyes:

Yes, but that's not what you said. :D
 
Yes, but that's not what you said. :D

Details....;) Anyways, I've ran Intel CPUs with no TIM using aftermarket heatsinks, and never had any issues... Do I use retail coolers? No... But if I did, I'd use what's supplied, and if no TIM is supplied (pre-applied) than I trust the company that designed the CPU, knows what's it's capable of and give you what's needed. But if you wanna go above and beyond, like most here, you go all out and get a $50 heatsink and $10 paste, and have s ball....just don't do this:

img059915gu.jpg
:eek:
 
I never unboxed my i7's stock cooler, which I still have...but I remember stock coolers used to have a ton of tim glopped on already in a square....waaay more than the amount recommended by aftermarket brands...why is that?
 
I never unboxed my i7's stock cooler, which I still have...but I remember stock coolers used to have a ton of tim glopped on already in a square....waaay more than the amount recommended by aftermarket brands...why is that?

When did the Manufacturer's ever get it right, I think, would be a far more poignant question. :p
 
My i7 is fine after weeks of nonstop F@H at 100*C, I have hit THERMTRIP multiple times already, it's still rocking. Too much voltage is the only way to kill these intel chips
 
ok, forget about mwave. i went with newegg.
i guess was off topic LOL

im getting paste and third party cooler, so everyone's happy, im happy, drinks on me!
 
Details....;) Anyways, I've ran Intel CPUs with no TIM using aftermarket heatsinks, and never had any issues... Do I use retail coolers? No... But if I did, I'd use what's supplied, and if no TIM is supplied (pre-applied) than I trust the company that designed the CPU, knows what's it's capable of and give you what's needed. But if you wanna go above and beyond, like most here, you go all out and get a $50 heatsink and $10 paste, and have s ball....just don't do this:

img059915gu.jpg
:eek:

You have got to be shitting me! :eek:

I've worked on systems where people have used so much TIM you couldn't pull the damn heat sink off. But I have never seen someone so stupid as to put it on the pins.
 
You cant hurt CPUs from heat anymore.

They throttle when they get too hot. And if they get any hotter they simply shut off to protect themselves. The only way to fry a CPU is to put too much voltage through it.

They can realistically run at 100c before taking any damage but they shutdown short of that temp anyways.
The no. 1 reason why computer components(of any kind) become malfunctioned after few years is heat. The overheating where computer shuts down or freezing appear is already very critical. So when your CPU is not that hot that it wont force shut down, it's still not a reason to give up on cooling and not applying thermal paste on CPU before mounting heatsink on it.
 
The no. 1 reason why computer components(of any kind) become malfunctioned after few years is heat. The overheating where computer shuts down or freezing appear is already very critical. So when your CPU is not that hot that it wont force shut down, it's still not a reason to give up on cooling and not applying thermal paste on CPU before mounting heatsink on it.

I was really just quoting Intel themselves:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gamers/unlocked-advantage-video.html

2:25 into the video.
 
Back
Top