DC Vault 2

If anyone is looking for a project to hit, SRBase is our weakest project in the Vault right now. Each position is worth roughly 73 points. Lots of room to move up there. It is math based, so Intel's will most likely outperform most AMD's.

We are also 40 points behind 3rd place. Czech National Team

Happy to give SRBase a go once I manage to free up some cores from CP. Although the outcome is fairly certain it also sounds like another good test for the Ryzen vs Kaby Lake.

p.s. I just checked and it looks like we're already 3rd place in the Vault. Congrats to Gilthanis and RFGuy_KCCO for grabbing those 73 points already!

I have suggested to Rusty to add Amicable Numbers to the DC-Vault. DENIS on the other hand has been down for a few days due to server issues. We may hold off on it for a while until they can prove stability again.

We are currently 4,376.89 points behind Dutch Power Cows for second place. Barring the inclusion of new projects or removal of others we have a lot of ground to make up for.

SRBase is our lowest scoring project right now and has the greatest potential for earning large points. Each position is worth 71.95 points and we are currently 32nd.
TN-Grid is our second lowest scoring project. Each position is worth 85.48 points and we are currently 22nd.

If we could get into the top 10 of both of those, that would gain us ~2,500 points.

Other projects to focus on may be Amicable Numbers and VGTU.

The even better news is that there is only like 300 points between 1st and 2nd places...

Last edited:
I don't understand how the points work on this. Like, I looked through them. GridCoin should be dominating in this since I see they're in there, but they're 19th? How is that possible? GridCoin is number 1 in almost all projects daily.

Every project is worth a total of 10k points. The more teams in the Vault participating, the less of a point difference between each spot. This is why moving up a spot in SETI is worth very little as it is a very popular project. It is also why when we lost 1st and 2nd place at FAH, it didn't make much of a dent in our positioning. However, DC-Vault is not BOINC-Vault. So, there are a few projects outside of BOINC that many teams just don't participate in. GIMPS is an example of one. If a team merely created a team at the project and ran a single work unit or two, it would net them a bunch of points merely by getting on the board. However, Gridcoin is missing out on those points because they do not pay their team members to crunch outside of BOINC.

The scoring calculation to determine the team positions within the vault ranking system works as follows:

Overall score = Sum of all category scores
Category scores = Sum of all projects scores in a category
Project score = 10000 - ((Position - 1) * (10000 / Total number of teams in the project))

The main thing to appreciate is that the less teams signed up to a project, the higher the points for moving up a place in that project. Also, unlike FB, it's the total credits since project inception rather than credits earned year to date.

That and it doesn't discriminate by forcing you to be a BOINC project. It is currently the only "challenge" that we participate in with FAH included.

Edit: and I am currently looking into ODLK which appears to be replacing SAT@home.
Stop@home may have a stress test in the near future.

We lost a spot at Amicable Numbers which was worth 70 points

How are FB projects updated? Who decides on the new or ditched projects and is it quarterly or yearly?

Would be great if Amicable Numbers was in both FB and the Vault so that we could take the one stone two birds approach.

Honestly, I am losing faith in the person(s) who run FB. They seem to be very, very slow and quiet about things they are doing.

They also take FOREVER to update Sprint medals.

FB is a one man show. He is the same admin as WUProp. Good luck getting him to ever reply. FB was supposed to be a consortium of team captains that would make decisions but never happened. He didn't even reply to me for over a year about fixing which team was represented with WCG.

To be fair, DC-Vault is pretty much down to me as an admin and one of the owners being active. Every now and again another owner will pop up or someone else will become an admin an say hello. However, there isn't a lot of individuals who want to be one. I've tried getting several to sign up but no dice. Rusty would like one person from each team. Also, the original site coder (and partial owner) doesn't want anything to do with it these days, so Rusty is left manning the fort with virtually me doing a lot of the leg work.

I was late to the party but managed to crunch Acoustics for a few hours. Seemed to run smooth with no computational errors.

The only slight niggle was that occasionally updates wouldn't grab any work units but this typically only lasted for a few minutes.

Looking at the progress link a couple posts above, a primary focus should be Amicable (GPU) and SRBase for (CPU) as that will benefit the team the most outside of Sprints?

Yes, maybe. I was looking at an overall being DC Vault and then when FB has a sprint to focus there for the three days. So DC Vault we need the high point projects like Amicable and SRBase but for Formula we need to focus on whatever the three day sprint is.

Exactly. Also, TN-Grid would also be a good source of points.

2/11 - 2/18 stress testing DrugDiscovery@home for possible inclusion.

Yeah... that has been an ongoing theme. However, users wanted things to progress and asked for a challenge. So, in my opinion if they fail to provide, then that is the answer. They can be re-visited at a later date. The admins are actually the bigger issue as they are always busy working with something else. These are also the same admins that again IMO acted very immature previously about decisions made by the owners. So, it will either stand or fall on its own merits.

A poll was made in the RakeSearch thread at DC-Vault as well if people want to vote.

Back