DC Vault 2

Yeah I think that Asteroids@home has somewhat become the unofficial project of the month. A few more cores and we might be able to give 6th place a run for its money! Perhaps some Yoyo later on was mentioned. If no one objects maybe I'll start a voting thread mid-way through March to vote for a April project.

As far as Linux goes, I was running a couple Mint VMs back when we were crunching Eon2 a while back because the Linux client score MUCH better than the Windows version (at least at the time). I wouldn't call myself a Linux Pro but I've been thinking of installing Mint on a spare machine and doing a little more testing. Some guides could a be a good thing to setup.

I agree. If someone could do a Linux guide for BOINC and the various projects it would be a great thing.

I finely got my RaspberryPi running Boinc. It's not going to break any crunching records but it might help me with Wuprop badges.

Well....welcome anyways. You will find us quite friendly. :)

Hey Jathanis...while you are shopping, you should consider playing with one of these: http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/products/prdt_info.php

I'm not sure what kind of results you would get on one, but more and more projects are starting to support them. The ODROID-U2 only uses about 6.5 watts at full load and has 4 cores at 1.7GHz...lol.

Damn you! I love just playing with stuff for the sake of it, and that looks like fun to play with... :D

Well, it looks like I'm going to have to take my ATI 4850 off-line for a while. I've been running hacked drivers to allow it to run OpenCL and DRM both on Win 7/8, but it's been causing my machine to freeze up more and more often. If I pause BOINC GPU to play a game, I can tell when the hour it pauses is up, because it will freeze instantly! Youtube videos will kill it, too, so I ended up less than 5,000 points from 2 million in Moo! Wrapper... So I've dredged up an old classic 9600GSO to tide me over until tax money comes in toward (maybe) a pair of 660TIs I know of lurking about... Thinking I'll try adding the ATI to my other system running XP still, but then I have to deal with an Nvidia and an ATI in the same machine... :rolleyes: Hmmm...

Damn you! I love just playing with stuff for the sake of it, and that looks like fun to play with... :D

Well, it looks like I'm going to have to take my ATI 4850 off-line for a while. I've been running hacked drivers to allow it to run OpenCL and DRM both on Win 7/8, but it's been causing my machine to freeze up more and more often. If I pause BOINC GPU to play a game, I can tell when the hour it pauses is up, because it will freeze instantly! Youtube videos will kill it, too, so I ended up less than 5,000 points from 2 million in Moo! Wrapper... So I've dredged up an old classic 9600GSO to tide me over until tax money comes in toward (maybe) a pair of 660TIs I know of lurking about... Thinking I'll try adding the ATI to my other system running XP still, but then I have to deal with an Nvidia and an ATI in the same machine... :rolleyes: Hmmm...

Well..I highly recommend not crunching on both cards in the same machine. Too much overhead unless you dedicate one to FAH and one to BOINC. Otherwise, you may have to run two BOINC clients. I can't remember if newer BOINC builds addressed running multiple card brands or not. Remember, you can exclude cards in BOINC and also tell it which card to use in the cc_config.xml file. I have two brand new 5450's just sitting on the shelf that I might put in my next PC. I'm planning on selling my i7 to my cousin and just building myself an 8 core AMD and then buying a high end AMD card. I'm looking to have 3-4 PCIe slots in whatever I build and will just let it sit and crunch. I'm not an AMD fan, but it seems more and more projects going to OpenCL and NVidia is dragging their feet in that arena still.

I can crunch with a 4350, so I can certainly crunch with 5450's. (Keep in mind the 4350 has very limited project selection.) As long as I can afford the electric bills, then yes it is worthwhile. They will replace probably a couple nVidia 8400GS cards. So, either way it will be more points for less electric. Going from ~40 watts per card to ~19 watts.

For those who don't want to do the legwork, the 5450's pretty much were the equivalent of rebadging the 4350 only with a better process and official OpenCL support. So, it is better and more efficient. Kinda like how the 210 replaced the 8400 series or possibly even the 9400GT. As a matter of fact, some seem to think these cards are on par with the 210's, but I think they will probably bring more points since most projects are going to OpenCL. Either way, I will continue to cycle the old tech with the new as they come my way. I got these cards for $10 after MIR anyways, so the energy savings will easily pay for the slight upgrade.

Last edited:
Well..I highly recommend not crunching on both cards in the same machine. Too much overhead unless you dedicate one to FAH and one to BOINC. Otherwise, you may have to run two BOINC clients. I can't remember if newer BOINC builds addressed running multiple card brands or not. Remember, you can exclude cards in BOINC and also tell it which card to use in the cc_config.xml file.<snip>.

I hear ya, but can't stand the thought of a perfectly good 4850 good for 40-50K points per day on Moo! Wrapper sitting on a shelf if I can get it to work... :D The machine I had it in was the family computer, so any time it was logged into my wife or daughter's account, the GPU sat idle. As a result, it usually averaged less than 10 hours run time a day, and still averaged almost 20K. Last time we went on vacation for a week, my Moo! Wrapper ppd more than doubled! So I'll give it a go, and report back how it works on the newer clients. I'm hoping that if I keep the CPU, ATI GPU, and Nvidia GPU projects all separate, it may play nice - otherwise, my second plan was to use the VM BOINC I was playing with for beta unit purposes to run one GPU and the regular XP to run the other, excluding GPUs in each via cc_config.xml...

And FWIW, Asteroids is up and running, got enough pending in WCG for the silver to gold badge I was working on... :D It can have 5 cores for the month of March

Well, I'm happy to report that I now have an ATI 4850 and an Nvidia 9800GTX+ happily BOINCing along in the same box! Took less than 45 minutes to get it all worked out. Keys here were:

1. Win XP SP3 to avoid issues with extending desktop onto a GPU not physically hooked to a second monitor.
  2. ATI card MUST be in the primary slot or ATI CCC won't recognize the card.
  3. ATI drivers must be 12.1 or older to support the correct OpenCL functions of a card this old. The 13.1 failed [H]ard...
Once I pulled and swapped the cards, uninstalled 13.1, cleaned out the drivers, and installed the 11.12 ATI drivers, BOINC found both instantly and downloaded Moo! Wrapper units right away. Watched for 3-4 minutes, saw no glitches, temps looking okay (definitely need more airflow in the old Antec case, two 80mm DON'T cut it!)!

So now I have one CPU core on WCG (CEP2), three on asteroids, plus FreeHAL and WUprop, one ATI GPU on Moo! and one Nvidia GPU on Primegrid, all in the same box. And this from a box that used to put up F@H pernts for Sunin up to 4 years ago before I bought it from him... :D

And when (IF) Tobias ever changes FreeHAL back to allowing one NCI WU per core/thread again, you could have up to 4 of those instead of 1. Since he no longer has a forum and does a lousy job keeping people updated, I have no idea why he isn't honoring the settings on our preferences. I have emailed him, but have had no response. He was rash and over reactive the past when there was a forum.

It appears that OProject has stopped distribution of the NCI ALX app. http://oproject.info/forum_thread.php?id=137 The reason given was that it was not actually doing anything, which is nothing unknown already. So, lets hope in the future he gets a working app that does do something. I personally think there should be more NCI apps.

It appears that OProject has stopped distribution of the NCI ALX app. http://oproject.info/forum_thread.php?id=137 The reason given was that it was not actually doing anything, which is nothing unknown already. So, lets hope in the future he gets a working app that does do something. I personally think there should be more NCI apps.

Well there goes any hope of crunching big #'s with my RaspberryPi.

Off the top of my head I know that these support Raspberry Pi:
Quake Catcher Network (needs additional hardware)
YoYo
Radiation (needs additional hardware)
Asteroids
enigma
WUProp
Albert

Not positive but believe there is support:
SubsetSum
Correlizer

In the future this project plans it:
Physics

Last edited:
I'm currently running Raspbian &#8220;wheezy&#8221; crunching Wuprop and Enigma. I have mine OC'd @800mhz and it takes me 11hr per wu with Enigma and gets me 30 points. OProject ALX would add another 8 points every 10 mins. Big point lose.

That's only if you made adjustments to the cc_config.xml. Otherwise you would go long periods in between requesting the ALX app. But yeah, we are all noticing a big point drop at OProject because of it. There goes the badge progression too. Hopefully he wont take too long to develop a working app. Possibly one that truly worked as an NCI should have.

I'm not sure of the older RPi's, but the newer ones can run Android and nativeBOINC. nativeBOINC is supported by:
PrimeGrid
WUProp
enigma
YoYo
SubsetSum
TheSkynetPOGS
Milkyway
OProject

So, you could keep two separate OS's depending on which project you wanted to crunch.

Last edited:
I would love to see Eon on the PI. With it's short wu's and fast linux apps it might put up some good #'s.

I've got an i3 laptop on my home workbench right now that needs the hard drive replaced. Until the customers hard drive comes in, I'm running a Ubuntu Live CD and running all 4 threads at WCG. They are discussing whether to let the software be installed on Windows full time.

Also, in the news about nVidia Titan... Sekerob @ WCG mentioned this tidbit: Thought it rather quizzical to see this thread being launched by zarck asking what projects are optimized for this card [hardly off the conveyor belt], and this not being the only place he did that, for... per the dev mail list, BOINC does not presently identify the hardware correctly and under-reports the amount of GDDR5, not 6 but 4GB. You need a BOINC later than whatever version this will be fixed with [and that's not by priority me thinketh].
----------------------------------------
-- Rob
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,34802

It looks like Harmonious Trees at YoYo@Home has run out of work. At least for now. I will probably fall short of my goal. But, I still have work units to finish and wait for the validation. We shall see. Then it will be back to focusing on Sudoku until I hit 1Mil.

Great job on Asteroids everyone! We jumped Norway (for now :D) into 8th place. At the current pace we should hit 7th by the end of the month. If anyone wants to come join us we might be able to get to 6th place by the end of the month with a little more CPU muscle. :) Hopefully it gets added to the Vault soon!

PS: DooKey - How are the Titan cards doing? Doing any crunching with them yet? Just curious of the performance.

I just lost a borged AMD A8-3800 APU system that ran 24/7. That was a good producer. Oh well. Hopefully soon I will be adding another 8 core and top of the line video card. So, that should replace my point loss.

Great job on Asteroids everyone! We jumped Norway (for now :D) into 8th place. At the current pace we should hit 7th by the end of the month. If anyone wants to come join us we might be able to get to 6th place by the end of the month with a little more CPU muscle. :) Hopefully it gets added to the Vault soon!

PS: DooKey - How are the Titan cards doing? Doing any crunching with them yet? Just curious of the performance.

I'm using them for Primegrid because POEM and GPUgrid crashes with them. The performance in PG is a little bit better than a GTX 680. I suspect it's because the app isn't tuned for the number of shaders available with the Titan.

Looks like I made it to my goal over at YoYo. :) So, as soon as my work validates I will have the gold badge (500,000 points) for Harmonious Trees. So, diverting back to my previous goals.

Enigma@home is back in the DC Vault. The Knights have about 150 more points in this project than us so the roller-coaster gaining/losing points on #4 continues. :)
Keep on crunching!

I hit my GPUGrid goal today of 10 million points. So, on to other GPU project goals.

That means I'm focused on GPU @: Albert, Einstein, Milkyway, SETI, SETI Beta, and WCG (which doesn't have a set goal but rather and equal share).

Last edited:
Since we had discussions on setting up a monthly project in the vault to shoot for, I figured it would be nice to have a process established. Here are a few things I suggest:

1. The project needs to be in the vault already. It is nice to have high rankings already when they add new projects, but they aren't guaranteed.

2. If the project of choice is CPU only or GPU only, then a second project should be selected to cover the other preference. Ex. If we chose GPUGrid, it would only make since to have a different project chosen for CPU. If we chose WCG, then both categories are currently covered. If a project only supports one brand of GPU such as GPUGrid, then a second GPU project supporting AMD/ATI (and in the future Intel) should also be chosen.

3. Project needs to have continuous work. ABC is in the vault right now, but they don't always have work available. Quite honestly, this used to be a requirement for the Vault but I think they are getting lax on the rules.

Hello :)

Long time folder, got into BOINC a little about a year/18 months ago, too. Had to stop due to moving out into my own place, but I'm getting back into it slowly. Due to budget restrictions and not having a decent system right now, I'm just running some NCI stuff (FreeHAL and WUProp) on my rig and the gf's laptop, and Enigma on my Android for giggles. Nothing is running 24/7 right now. I have an SR-2 system which is awaiting parts to complete it, should be operational by May/June, at which point I'll wade in a little more!
I've folded/crunched for a few teams but headed on over here because I've always found helpful advice and information on the [H] so I wanted to give something back.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi, perhaps not the right thread for it but I fully intend to crunch a variety of projects when I'm up and running and thus join the Commandos if I'm worthy!

Of course you are worthy. We are glad to have you. I'm also glad to see another user here running on Android. Are you using nativeBOINC or are you using Berkeley's latest attempt?

On the laptop, are you by chance running tthrottle? I would highly recommend it. It works wonders for when the computers internal cooling starts to wear out.

Also, if you are joining our team at all projects, pay very close attention to team name. You will find there are two different ones depending on what project you go to. Yes it is a pain sometimes, but just ask and we will direct you accordingly.

I'm using Nativeboinc, saw it recommended on a few forums and downloaded it just last night. It seems to be working pretty well, apart from if I turn off the screen/put the phone to sleep using the button, BOINC pauses work and won't resume till I turn the screen back on. Not sure if that's meant to happen, but it'd sure be easier if it didn't do that heh.

I'm not running tthrottle purely because the projects running on the laptop are both NCI, also it's a 6730b with a decent cooling system that I blow the dust out of every few weeks, plus I replaced the thermal paste on it when I bought it for her. It doesn't get hot at all compared to a lot of newer laptops which is good :)

The projects I've joined so far have only had one team listed which is [H]ard|OCP - I searched for [H] and that's all I saw, each had active users on it so I figured it was the right one. If I see anything where there's more than one [H] team listed, I'll be sure to ask, thanks for the heads up.

Some projects like SETI and WCG is HardOCP, so we do have a few. Some projects have both [H]ard|OCP and HardOCP, so make sure you choose correctly. I go by the handle Coleslaw at all of the projects, so if you see me listed then you are good.

As far as nativeBOINC goes, my Vortex has that issue with the display and going to sleep. My Bionic does not. There are settings within nativeBOINC for this but I don't know if every device honors it. You may have to play with those settings. I know I haven't spent much time tweaking the Vortex since it is pretty much used as an alarm now. :)

Edit: It may be easier to just cross reference with my list here: http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=search&proj=&team=&name=Coleslaw&exact=N&cross=N and I don't run FAH, so not sure who those users are. ;)

Last edited:
Back