DC Vault 2

Also I know this has been posted here before but it looks like Asteroids@home will be added to the Vault: http://www.team-ninja.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52433

Razor and DooKey looks like they have been doing a fine job of getting us a good ranking! Well done! How the scoring on this project guys?

I hate to take any CPUs off Muon but perhaps we should rally the troops for this project and shoot for the Top 10?
http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=team&proj=ast&team=1620#

The scoring on the project is a flat 120 points per wu returned. It seems very stable and the wu don't take too long to complete.

looks like WCG dropped a few more beta units today, i only got 4 though

Yeah..keep your eyes open because there may be a few more drops.I got 2 from today's drop and still have over 30 from last night.

Edit: I don't know what made me think there was an assumed number of drops. Probably over looked another statement somewhere. However, some people received work over night after the big batch went dry. So, keep your buckets handy.

Last edited:
Moved one quad over to Asteroids@home. Looks like the team has almost 100K points today! Nice work guys.

Looks like reverting back to the 12.8 driver fixed all of those desktop artifacts. I've been trying to pull in a little poem work to keep us from losing spots there but the OpenCL work is pretty sporadic. I'll try and keep mixing in a little primegrid as well.

I'm trying to pull projects up to the 1 Million point. So, my GPU resources are slowly moving towards SETI/BETA, Albert, Einstein, Milkyway and then a couple cards still on GPUGrid until I hit 10 million.

Just joined you guys on GPUGrid last week with a GTX480 and broke 1.5 million points.
Will keep going on this indefinitely as long as my GPU lasts!

Go Team [H]ard|OCP DC! :cool:

Welcome to the club, Red Falcon! I've been trying to go add a few million GPUGrid points, but all my video cards are too old right now to use. Of course tkam has a pair of GTX560Ti cards in the FS/FT subforum I might inquire on when I get paid next week... And MrFlibble has a pair of 650Ti cards, too... :D

^ Thanks! Good luck on getting those cards, they'll definitely add some PPD for you. ;)
Sooo many GPUs, but it's never enough!

I still have some old 210's that manage the BETA and short runs. Can't say they put out a lot of points, but that is about as old as you get...lol. The 8400 GS probably would still pull it off too, but I know my 8400GS (notice the space difference in the name) certainly have problems. However, those are moving towards my 1 Million Point goals because they work better on those projects.

Glad to have you Red Falcon.

Thanks for contributing Red Falcon! Glad to have you crunching with us - especially on a great project like GPUGrid!

However, when projects do that, it tends to be years before they are back. And that is a big IF they get back for that matter.

After all WU's completed, I pulled 57 run time days of WCG BETA work. Not bad.

For the badge hunters, Harmonious Trees app at YoYo@Home will supposedly be ending soon. I haven't looked into approximately time frame, but it was brought up in their forums. http://www.rechenkraft.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=12682 Since this is a DC Vault project, it would be good to make a push and get badge upgrades at the same time.

I will be switching over a portion of my resources in hopes of getting the Gold badge.

Last edited:
Sounds like Gilthanis just nominated Yoyo for the March Commando project! Count me in - I could use a small break from WCG... Anyone else game? :D

Sounds like Gilthanis just nominated Yoyo for the March Commando project! Count me in - I could use a small break from WCG... Anyone else game? :D

A few of us are making a big push right now in Asteroids since it is getting ready to get added to the Vault. It might carry over into March.

I will make a return to Asteroids probably later in the year. It is on my list of milestones. It will be attacked after ABC. ABC will be as soon as I hit my Sudoku goal. But am still running a few other projects at the same time like WCG.

A few of us are making a big push right now in Asteroids since it is getting ready to get added to the Vault. It might carry over into March.

Yeah Asteroids@home is going to be added to the Vault so I've moved over one quad a couple days ago (although that quad is feeding my 7870 so . . .) and I moved over a dedicated quad tonight. After a bit of a push in Asteroids, I would be up for some YoYo however.

We just moved into 10th place in Asteroids today and with a few more CPU cores we could be up to 8th in less than a week. If anyone has any spare cores bring them over! :) DooKey, Razor and phoenetics are doing some damn fine work over there!

They have been sporadic. So you gotta gobble them up when they have them. There is a post mentioning it.

http://abcathome.com/forum_thread.php?id=895#12982

Also, the front page on the news listing from September explains why. So, basically when there is work you do like everyone else and load up a huge cache. I've seen the various rainfalls trickling in over the last few months. Quite honestly it wouldn't surprise me if someone suggests it be removed from the vault due to lack of consistent work.

For the WCG'ers, apparently they are going to send out surveys to those who have elected to receive emails regarding improving the WCG exprerience. This would be prime opportunity to address anything that would make your stay more pleasant or to drive things forward. If you need more badges for example, then that is the time to express your feelings. If you want more hardware supported, let your voice be heard. The following link is their announcement and also instructions on how to get setup to receive the survey. http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,34778

If anyone is interested in testing a Linux nVidia GPU app at SAT@Home, here is the link http://sat.isa.ru/pdsat/testing.php to get started. I will wait for a Windows app.

Optima@Home also has work again.

Harmonious Trees at YoYo@Home progress page. http://www.rechenkraft.net/yoyo//y_status_hat.php

Last edited:
As a matter of fact, they have work right now.
Excellent. I hope the project continues. I would like to go crunch some more ABC at some point down the road.

Also QMC@home was removed from the Vault during today's update. Looks like we gained about 100 points on 4th place. Asteroids will get added shortly and that should (at least for now) gain us another couple hundred points on the Knights!
Crunch On Commandos!

I wondered what caused so much jumping around with the rankings today.

On a side note, I'm not sure how I missed it but evidently Quake Catcher Network works on many HP laptops that have the 3D hard drive software. They found a way to use that software to monitor the accelerometer. So, any Commandos that have HP laptops may want to attach since it is a Non-CPU intensive app.

Last edited:
Okay, so I checked my WCG stats, and need 13 days run time for my next badge, so I'll be over on Asteroids Saturday morning... Then I'll go pad my 53K points in Yoyo!

On a related note, I want some opinions from the Commandos on a possible 1U server acquisition. Found out while doing budgets at work this week that we have a few 1U file servers up for replacement, so I have a shot to grab them for under $100 each before they get surplused. The closest I can find on ebay for comparison is this:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-1U-CS2...977977?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item337ff33779

One definitely has a pair of L5420s in it (which is nice, low power draw), and the other may have 5500 series Xeons in it (year newer, IT manager said he'd let me know). So the question is this - if I can score both for under $200, would they be worth it to triple the size of my current Q6600/Q9550 DC farm, or would the money be better spent on a newer system? Seems like three or four of theses babies would add 25-30 or so cores for about the same power draw I'm currently using on my two home rigs, in a nice compact form factor (no "naked folding" required). Thoughts? Opinions?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
For WCG badge hunting, that would be an awesome way to build them quick. WUProp badges could see a large gain from them. However, I've not done any math yet since my internet is flaky today and I can't do research but wouldn't spending the money on say a AMD 7970 or nVidia 580 put out the same or more results for less overhead? I know you mentioned buying two but you also mentioned four of them. The downside to the GPU would be limited to specific projects/subprojects. I guess the real question is this... What is your long term road map for your equipment in the DC world? Are you looking at points? badges? DC Vault? All DC'ing in general?

The advice really depends on your ultimate goal. GPU's are awesome if the project supports them. However, if you hit all of your goals there are you looking to move on or just let them keep on going?

Last edited:
Primary goal would to be doing the most science for the least hit to my power bill. My thought is that a quad Xeon 5420 at 2.5 should do about as much work as my q9550 at 2.83, so dual quads would do more. Added bonus is the 1U case for easy install at home... And there are only 2 available this year - I was just comparing the fact that 3 or 4 of these servers would match the power draw that my 2 current home systems draw, nothing more - my bad for not being clear!

I saw these as a way to throw cheap cores at those BOINC projects I've done in the past that don't support GPU, like ABC, Leiden, Docking, Simap, etc. Plans would include these for cheap CPU BOINC/DCing in general for as long as they keep running, nothing more. I'm already looking to upgrade my ancient GPUs with tax money for projects like you mentioned - These would just complement each other!

Of course, badges are fun, and big farms are fun for bragging rights, but for me, it still comes down to best general science contribution with the small power bill hit!

Totally understand. I use what I can afford too and slowly cycle out what I have with what better falls into my lap. I would love to have server blades, but I don't ever really buy entire systems anymore. So unless they fall in my lap, I doubt I have the luxury. I have considered making a rack of my own using standard desktops and running partially naked, but I have a young one on the way and don't want to risk little fingers getting into it.

Edit: Twice I have had Server rack offered to me and then disappear before I could pick it up. If I had one of those, I would be more inclined to fill it. ;)

Last edited:
Okay, so I checked my WCG stats, and need 13 days run time for my next badge, so I'll be over on Asteroids Saturday morning... Then I'll go pad my 53K points in Yoyo!

On a related note, I want some opinions from the Commandos on a possible 1U server acquisition. Found out while doing budgets at work this week that we have a few 1U file servers up for replacement, so I have a shot to grab them for under $100 each before they get surplused. The closest I can find on ebay for comparison is this:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-1U-CS2...977977?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item337ff33779

One definitely has a pair of L5420s in it (which is nice, low power draw), and the other may have 5500 series Xeons in it (year newer, IT manager said he'd let me know). So the question is this - if I can score both for under $200, would they be worth it to triple the size of my current Q6600/Q9550 DC farm, or would the money be better spent on a newer system? Seems like three or four of theses babies would add 25-30 or so cores for about the same power draw I'm currently using on my two home rigs, in a nice compact form factor (no "naked folding" required). Thoughts? Opinions?

Two 1U dual socket servers for $200 or less? Sounds like a sweet deal to me. Unless you think that it will draw more current than you want to pay for I'd say go for it. 16 cores could crunch a whole lot of work units! :)

I guess the only other thing to consider is the noise. 1U servers are kind of cramped for cooling so when they are at 100% utilization all the time they might get a little loud. But if you have a garage or basement or somewhere to mount them and let them run they would be good bang for the buck.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
To get nativeBOINC to run on Android please follow these instructions:
1. Make sure Unknown sources is enabled in your phone/tablet.
2. Download the latest NativeBOINC apk http://www.nativeboinc.org/site/uncat/downloads
3. Select Sdcard storage option and continue(press next) (I don't install to the Sdcard because it hasn't worked in the past. Just save the download to it.)
4. Let it download some binaries
5. finalise the password and continue
6. You should be running BOINC now. :)
More detailed instructions with pics here: http://www.nativeboinc.org/site/for_users/install

Keep in mind that there are other options like changing the device name during the installation process that should be done during installation or it may show up as a new device under your profiles. Every time you remove the app and re-install, it acts like adding a new device. So if that matters to you, get it right the first time and leave it. LOL

I have also noticed that Berkeley has a developer's version of BOINC for Android. I have heard it is also for ARM but they failed to post that on their page. http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php (at the very bottom) I have not tested this yet but it does require Android 2.3 or higher. nativeBOINC works for sure on 2.1 because I have tested it on that version.

Last edited:
I know it is a little late but anyone got an idea for a March push? (sorry if it was suggested a while ago I didn't read or hear a big confirmation on something)

On a side note, recently I have been diving in more and more into Linux (Mint variety) and all but two machines are running that. My question is how many people out there are actually running Linux (either server or just a regular home use) and would like a guide for headless BOINC, running Prime 95 (mprime really), and various other clients that may be difficult to set up? I would like to start doing this possibly if it would benefit the community and don't know if there are Commandos that are linux experts or if anyone had any suggestions on what they would like to see with this?

I believe the two nominations were Asteroids and YoYo as far as BOINC goes. I'm guessing more interest is in Asteroids so that we can start off with a high position. I will likely pass for now on that one, but maybe 6 months down the line when my other goals should finish. The majority of my CPU power is split 3 ways. WCG, YoYo, and Sudoku..I have a few other projects that get minimal resources mostly from borged systems. (I have a two that still ask for ABC work too but nothing big.) My GPU's are dedicated to: GPUGrid, SETI/BETA, Einstein, Albert, and Milkyway until I get all of them to 1 million points. (GPUGrid is a 10 million point goal) However, some borged machines still help other GPU places due to compatibility.

As far as Linux goes, I only run Ubuntu in a couple VM's and just use the version of BOINC from their repository. So, I wont be much help since I'm not a Linux expert by a long shot.

Hey Jathanis...while you are shopping, you should consider playing with one of these: http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/products/prdt_info.php

I'm not sure what kind of results you would get on one, but more and more projects are starting to support them. The ODROID-U2 only uses about 6.5 watts at full load and has 4 cores at 1.7GHz...lol.

Also, Asteroids should have an Android/ARM app soon. They already support Raspberry Pi. http://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/forum_thread.php?id=62&postid=906

YoYo is also currently testing a possible Raspberry Pi app. Seems like ARM is making a nice push in the BOINC world. Quake Catcher Network and Radioactive both already support it. Since the ODROID-U2 can run Android, it can run the nativeBOINC software and support those projects too.

Last edited:
I know it is a little late but anyone got an idea for a March push? (sorry if it was suggested a while ago I didn't read or hear a big confirmation on something)

On a side note, recently I have been diving in more and more into Linux (Mint variety) and all but two machines are running that. My question is how many people out there are actually running Linux (either server or just a regular home use) and would like a guide for headless BOINC, running Prime 95 (mprime really), and various other clients that may be difficult to set up? I would like to start doing this possibly if it would benefit the community and don't know if there are Commandos that are linux experts or if anyone had any suggestions on what they would like to see with this?

Yeah I think that Asteroids@home has somewhat become the unofficial project of the month. A few more cores and we might be able to give 6th place a run for its money! Perhaps some Yoyo later on was mentioned. If no one objects maybe I'll start a voting thread mid-way through March to vote for a April project.

As far as Linux goes, I was running a couple Mint VMs back when we were crunching Eon2 a while back because the Linux client score MUCH better than the Windows version (at least at the time). I wouldn't call myself a Linux Pro but I've been thinking of installing Mint on a spare machine and doing a little more testing. Some guides could a be a good thing to setup.

I just scrounged up the last parts needed to replace my dad's single core 2.8GHz computer with a Dell OptiPlex 330 with Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2GHz processor. Once it is done updating, I am stress testing it for a week. I will also have an NVidia 210 card in it that will also help crunch some projects. So that basically will add 1 more core and 1 more GPU to my borged list. His old system may get repurposed somewhere else, but I gotta make sure there is no hardware issues first.

Back