DC Vault 2

I hit 1 Million points at WUProp today. Not an easy task to accomplish. http://wuprop.boinc-af.org/show_user.php?userid=1169
Congrats on the milestone Gil!

Im not sure if anyone noticed but on this mornings DC Vault update we (and by "we" I mean Phoenicis :D) moved into 8th place in Muon1 and gained over 100 point in the Vault. Well done phoenicis!

Most importantly it marks our last project that we didn't have at least 9K Vault points. Congrats to all of the DC team on this one. Its been a long time coming and another great 2012 milestone!

Just a heads up, for those running SimOne@ Home...if you are running another project that uses GPU's, the SimOne multi-thread work units may pause the GPU tasks and take over the core. Some GPU projects (HCC at WCG for example) will start over from the beginning when the core is freed up. Just an FYI.

Well, old XP upgraded to 8, new PSU & Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus installed, and am now able to run Moo! wrapper & Collatz on my 4850 with no errors, and can easily run BOINC full out at under 50*C. Now if only I could figure out what setting in my BIOS I screwed up for voltages, I'd get this reOCed to 3.4 and get more Xmas WCG points out of it!
Tomorrow night it's fixing the corrupt OS on the q6600, and it can add 4 more cores for the final stretch of the WCG Xmas run, then off to other various fun projects... It'll be nice to have both quads up and crunching 24/7 again, with #3 coming hopefully in March, and possible #4 by next fall.
Now I'm torn between updating the 4850 in here to a 7 series (as the 4XXX and below ATI don't have current drivers for Win8), or going with a 660ti (which will likely get sucked in to F@H with those current huge quick bonuses)

AMD runs better on OpenCL projects. After the last Catalyst package update, AMD is claiming up to a 30% increase in performance and some users are claiming higher yields. However, going AMD route limits the choices since there are more projects that support nVidia. Also, hold off til the beginning of the year because the 8xxx series is coming out. Obviously, meaning that 7xxx cards will drop in price.

I had a coworker recently give me a HP quad-core machine with a crashed hard drive. It's running perfectly after reinstalling Windows 7 on a spare drive. Another few cores for the WCG Christmas Race!

I noticed it has a 250W OEM power supply. Seems inadequate for a quad-core running 24/7. May swap it with a Antec VP-450 power supply I have in a Dell dual-core box.

<snip>Also, hold off til the beginning of the year because the 8xxx series is coming out. Obviously, meaning that 7xxx cards will drop in price.
Thanks for the heads up - since we're apparently taking our 9 year old daughter to Disneyland for Christmas in a few weeks (as dear wife just informed me today), February/March will be the next chunk of spare money for major upgrades...

Thanks for the heads up - since we're apparently taking our 9 year old daughter to Disneyland for Christmas in a few weeks (as dear wife just informed me today), February/March will be the next chunk of spare money for major upgrades...

That is timing for X-mas 2.0....AKA tax return time...:D

I was just given a 4870 by my boss. He said the fan was too loud and would periodically over heat. I noticed it was dirty, so I will begin testing it soon. Too bad this series is on the will not work list at WCG. I will have to put it to work elsewhere.

Last edited:
Too bad this series is on the will not work list at WCG. I will have to put it to work elsewhere.
Yeah, that's what I found with my 4850 - HCC just told me I can't download work units and Primegrid would download but error out on me, but both Moo! wrapper and Collatz have ran successfully on it at about 50K ppd stock. Unfortunately, the hacked 12.10 drivers from Guru3D I'm using for Win8 to allow both OpenGL for my daughter's Minecraft and video DRM for Netflix for my wife mean no easy overclocking route... That why I'm back to my q6600 & 9800GTX machine for me to crunch 24/7 with no worries about other users on the machine! :D

Well..PrimeGrid should work. However, it is tricky. My 4350 works there depending on the install. Sometimes the install works and sometimes it doesn't there. It is really weird because same device and same install package but two seperate results. AMD/ATI are still terrible at writing software I guess. Funny thing is, the 4350 was doing Donate@Home OpenCL work until the sytem reinstall...Now it says not OpenCL capable. The card had BETA OpenCL support since day one but most sites never got them to work. I'm not sure why but it was working for a while and now it doesn't. Oh well.. it will keep running Collatz and Moo! I guess.

Sudoku@vtaiwan is past the 85% complete mark. Nothing has been stated about officially adding anything new. So, if anyone here has goals that need met, you better jump now.

If you like projects relating to outer space then asteroids@home is a good BOINC project. I've been crunching on this for the last few days and it is very stable.

Thanks for the heads up about the Asteroids project, Razor/DooKey.

Likewise to AgrFan for C4CW. I still need a little for my Sapphire badge so I'd better get crunching!

Anyone have any ideas/goals for the Commandos in 2013? I'm starting grad school so I'll be a little quieter than normal but I'll still be crunching with a couple machines.

I'm focused on Suduku right now because they are down to about 15% work left and haven't announced whether they will move on to bigger or not. I was hoping to hit 1million before it is done and am only currently at 100k. However, if DDDT2 gets work before that I will switch over in attempt to hit my 5 year goal at that WCG project. After Suduku, I plan on hitting ABC for my 1million point goal and also continue finishing my WCG SN2S five year run time goal but then pretty much just down the line Alphabetically for 1million point marks. I will continue to run GPU work based on card capabilities/compatabilities. Fermi cards at GPUGrid. nonFermi spread out everywhere else. I only have one AMD card at home and it is a 4350, so only a couple projects that it can run on. Borged machines depends on if those users notice any irritations/issues.

Welcome superhumanben, nightbender, and Xanthras to the HardOCP WCG team! If you guys are on the boards stop by and say hi! Thanks for crunching with us!

Well, unless there's a call for a push on a specific problem, I'm going to keep my current push going for all the gold badges I can still get in WCG (3 down, 6 or 7 to go), and pushing to 10M in Primegrid with the nVidia card and Moo! with the ATI... Sounds like good long term goals for a while...

Should hit about 500K in WCG (BOINC points, not WCG 7x score) about the same time as I get all the Golds, so then I'll see what the newest cool projects are - probably around April or so! Still tempted to look at a small FX-83XX processor HTPC setup for 8 core badge chasing later this year - I know it's not the most ppd, but could almost double my badge progress!

I'm still seeing a low participation in the NCI projects. Remember, these can run alongside other projects. Anyone running BOINC that has the RAM to spare should have a few of these attached.

As of 1/11/13
OProject (they have the NCI ALX app) 5 total members but only 4 Active
FreeHAL (You need to choose in the project settings whether to run NCI or CI and how many) 15 total members but only 5 Active
Quake Catcher Network (Needs a USB accelerometer, a Macintosh laptop, or some older IBM laptops) has 4 total members but 1 Active
Radioactive (You need one of their detectors) has 2 total members but 0 Active
WUProp has 4 total members but 3 Active

Last edited:
Looks like I'm the only BOINC representative for the Hard DC'er of the Year award. It would be awesome to have a dedicated BOINC cruncher win this year.

If you'd like to vote for me, here's the thread (shameful plug) --> http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1739470

Thanks Gil!

Last edited:
No problem AgrFan. BOINC needs more representation amongst the [H]. Glad my vote could help.

Got my vote as well! Completely agree with Gilthanis above - the Commandos definitely need more recognition... Would be a great recrutment opportunity.

I'm still seeing a low participation in the NCI projects.

I'm suitably embarrassed that I haven't found the time to check this out. I will try to do so.

Anyone have any ideas/goals for the Commandos in 2013?

I’ve been pondering this over the past few days. We’re a fairly quiet group but there seems to be a lot less talk of the DC Vault than there used to be …. are we still focused on this rather than purely BOINC based projects? If we’re not then I’m crunching the wrong stuff! I’m currently working on Seventeen or Bust together with some defensive action on GIMPS and Muon1.

The push on SoB is to build on the work previously completed by the team (mostly Razor and mmmmmdonuts). If the Vault’s still a priority, any help from anyone there would speed us on the way to the 150ish points sitting just above us. It’s quite simple to set up and runs pretty fast on the more recent Intel processors that can handle AVX extensions (eg Sandy Bridge). A cautionary note though, it’s based around Prime95 so any overclock will be tested to its limit.

Any other thoughts on our plans going forward? For instance, should we be conducting a poll each month to establish the target(s) for the month?

p.s. I don’t know what Razor’s throwing at DIMES but that’s some serious output he’s achieving there!

I'm suitably embarrassed that I haven't found the time to check this out. I will try to do so.

I’ve been pondering this over the past few days. We’re a fairly quiet group but there seems to be a lot less talk of the DC Vault than there used to be …. are we still focused on this rather than purely BOINC based projects? If we’re not then I’m crunching the wrong stuff! I’m currently working on Seventeen or Bust together with some defensive action on GIMPS and Muon1.

The push on SoB is to build on the work previously completed by the team (mostly Razor and mmmmmdonuts). If the Vault’s still a priority, any help from anyone there would speed us on the way to the 150ish points sitting just above us. It’s quite simple to set up and runs pretty fast on the more recent Intel processors that can handle AVX extensions (eg Sandy Bridge). A cautionary note though, it’s based around Prime95 so any overclock will be tested to its limit.

Any other thoughts on our plans going forward? For instance, should we be conducting a poll each month to establish the target(s) for the month?

p.s. I don’t know what Razor’s throwing at DIMES but that’s some serious output he’s achieving there!

Point me to the SoB app and I'll run it on my server. Since I upgraded from WHS 2011 to Server 2012 Essentials I can't run BOINC projects. Maybe I can run SoB?

Also, I like the idea of a poll/vote or maybe we should form a 3 man committee that sets targets for the Commandos. Let me know as I'm willing to donate time.

DooKey...why can't you run BOINC projects on your server?

Edit: If it is an installation issue, make sure you are using one of the newer clients. 7.0.31 and after were designed with Windows 8 in mind. Just don't install using a Microsoft account. Do it as a local account. (I think Server 2012 works the same since it is built on Win 8.)

Last edited:

I'm still focused on the DCVault (as opposed to only BOINC). Im not throwing in the towel on the Vault after how far we have come. :) It seems to me like we have quite a few crunchers but just "quiet crunchers" (which is fine). Another trend I've noticed is that our team doesn't seem to crunch with a lot of GPUs (except a couple obvious exceptions!), so that might make GPU projects a challenge.

I think that our "monthly efforts" have been a great success and a good way to gain some quick Vault points. I like the idea of a monthly poll post to discuss potential projects and then vote on an effort. I would just want to make sure that everyone feels like they are free to crunch what projects they want (participation in the monthly project is in no way required).

Personally I have kind of gotten wrapped up in WCG and chasing badges before/during/after the Christmas Race, but I just finished my Sapphire badge in C4CW so I think it might be time to change things up. I'll fire up some Muon1 and come join you phoenicis.

If anyone else has thoughts post them here. We dont have any current threats in the Vault but EVGA keep creeping up. They are doing some pretty good crunching over there.

My thoughts is that if FAH is leaning more towards GPU's in the near future, maybe some of the other members will open up a few cores/threads to some BOINC projects while they cook their cards. ;)

I am pretty focused on Sukduku until I hit 1mil points, but will be hitting ABC hard after that. I still have part time crunching at WCG and have a few random borged systems and virtual machines doing work at the occasional project too. A few projects are still mainly Linux and so I try to keep a VM or two on those when I can.

I still encourage all BOINC Commandos to add the NCI projects alongside whatever other projects they choose. They are almost like free points. ALX @ Oproject is still not 100% NCI but works pretty well and doesn't run very long. The issues with it usually aren't that big of a deal. Razor_FX_II is tearing it up right now.

DooKey...why can't you run BOINC projects on your server?

Edit: If it is an installation issue, make sure you are using one of the newer clients. 7.0.31 and after were designed with Windows 8 in mind. Just don't install using a Microsoft account. Do it as a local account. (I think Server 2012 works the same since it is built on Win 8.)

I'm using the latest beta version and I've also tried the release version and it tells me it Failed to add user to the 'boinc_admins' group. It installed fine on WHS 2011.

Are you using a Domain Controller? If so, that is the problem. There used to be a work around using a 6.10.x version of BOINC, but I don't know if that would work on 2012. The link below suggests version 5

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Release_Notes#BOINC_7_incompatible_with_Domain_Controllers

BOINC 7 incompatible with Domain Controllers

The present range of BOINC 7 is incompatible with Domain Controllers, meaning that you cannot install it on your system if it is a DC. This is because the developers used the Local Account API's instead of the Global Account API's.

Install BOINC 5.10.45 instead, even though this doesn't support GPUs or multi-threading applications.

BOINC 5.10.45 32bit version
BOINC 5.10.45 64bit version

Point me to the SoB app and I'll run it on my server. Since I upgraded from WHS 2011 to Server 2012 Essentials I can't run BOINC projects. Maybe I can run SoB?
I'm sure SoB will run fine - but know that SoB will push your CPU just like Prime searching - extreme heat and will point out any OC issues.
SoB Team [H]ard|OCP
FreeDC SoB Team Stats

1. Create account here
2. Login with new account here
3. Select team and preferences here
3. Download your username customized SoB prime.txt file here (will be already customized if logged in)
4. Download newest software:
Prime95 v2.79 Windows 64bit software - Service version
Prime95 v2.79 Windows 32bit software - Service version
5. Extract files where you want and copy your prime.txt into this folder
6. Start Prime95

Back