DC Vault 2

Interesting post about Formula BOINC 2012. Another competition to keep track of in addition to the regular DC Vault. Thanks, Gilthanis.

Points apparently are based on team rank at each project. So, newer and less popular projects would probably be the easiest to get points from. Only the top 10 teams in each project get points.

Points apparently are based on team rank at each project. So, newer and less popular projects would probably be the easiest to get points from. Only the top 10 teams in each project get points.

Looks like an interesting way to keep competition fresh (since the results reset at the end of every year) but do the WCG stats seem wrong? Am I reading it correctly that in WCG we are in 2529th place with 375 credits this year? I mean I have more credits than that along in the past 2 months. Maybe its one of the lesser used Hard OCP teams?

I think the problem is that we have 2 different team names across BOINC as a whole. At WCG it is simply HardOCP and not [H]ared|OCP like at other BOINC projects.I don't know if we can contact the webmaster/host or what to get this fixed. It does seem like a hassle.

Anyone know if a Nvidia GT 620 will work with WCG HCC or other projects? It's not on the WCG excluded GPU list but both the 610 and 630 are excluded so it would seem strange that the 620 wouldnt be.
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/help/viewTopic.do?shortName=GPU

I need a half height card for my work machine and thought that a 620 with 96 CUDA cores might be a good one to doing a little crunching with. :)

Anyone know if a Nvidia GT 620 will work with WCG HCC or other projects? It's not on the WCG excluded GPU list but both the 610 and 630 are excluded so it would seem strange that the 620 wouldnt be.
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/help/viewTopic.do?shortName=GPU

I need a half height card for my work machine and thought that a 620 with 96 CUDA cores might be a good one to doing a little crunching with. :)

Since they are pretty much just a re-badged 430 (http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/301560,nvidia-gt-630-620--610---a-tale-of-rebranding.aspx), I don't see why it wouldn't. My 430's run just fine there and pretty much all other nVidia supported projects. I even run them at GPUGrid ok. If you have the version that is a rebadged 520 however, that may not work since the 520 definitely fails. I had one of those during BETA testing that is now in a borged system.

I sent sabastien a message over at Formula Boinc to see if they can fix the problem with the name conflict. Hopefully they can fix it to improve our rankings.

Since they are pretty much just a re-badged 430 (http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/301560,nvidia-gt-630-620--610---a-tale-of-rebranding.aspx), I don't see why it wouldn't. My 430's run just fine there and pretty much all other nVidia supported projects. I even run them at GPUGrid ok. If you have the version that is a rebadged 520 however, that may not work since the 520 definitely fails. I had one of those during BETA testing that is now in a borged system.

Anyway to tell which 620's might be based on the 430/520 GPUs? All of the 620's I see on newegg have 96 CUDA cores so that would lead me to believe that they are based on the 430 and would therefore work on WCG right?

I'm thinking so metallicafan. The 520's all had 48 CUDA core from what I have seen. I still haven't received a reply from Formula BOINC either. It appears that there isn't much response in their forums.

Kenlo just broke 200M BOINC points!! Awesome milestone dude. Crunch on!!!!

Last edited:
Well let my just get out of the way of you guys, jesh..
phoenicis just took 4th place in the team overall.
Great job phoenicis!

You guys make me feel like I'm standing still, but old man winter is here and it's about time to warm up some heaters.:D

Well let my just get out of the way of you guys, jesh..
phoenicis just took 4th place in the team overall.
Great job phoenicis!

You guys make me feel like I'm standing still, but old man winter is here and it's about time to warm up some heaters.:D

Cheers Razor. The UK weather gives me an unfair advantage:D

Unfortunately I'm going to have to take a couple of rigs offline whilst we take our annual excursion to your side of the pond to see the Mouse.

+ Congrats to Kenlo on the amazing milestone!

You guys and your terrible weather pulling better performance...... Wish I got some cool weatheron fFlorida more often

On a side note, phoenicis, if you are coming to Disney World in Floridaashoot me a PM and I can give you some suggestions on what to do (I work there)

Congrats to Kenlo and Phoenicis on the milestones! Good work fellas!

Best news I've heard all day! :D I just added a Nvidia GT 620 last night to one of my test rigs. I'm hoping that if it works well I can put it in my office machine and let it crunch away in the evenings. So far so good. Its no speed demon but its reliably crunching some HCC work and running pretty cool while doing it. Thanks for the help in selecting it Gil.

Congrats to Kenlo and Phoenicis on the milestones! Good work fellas!

Best news I've heard all day! :D I just added a Nvidia GT 620 last night to one of my test rigs. I'm hoping that if it works well I can put it in my office machine and let it crunch away in the evenings. So far so good. Its no speed demon but its reliably crunching some HCC work and running pretty cool while doing it. Thanks for the help in selecting it Gil.

No problem. Glad I could help. I think as far as cheap video card replacements go, these are probably the best bang for the buck. After MIR's, they can be found for as low as $25 with free shipping and can run work from all nVidia capable projects. Obviously the high end cards bring more points, but those aren't going to be the typical system upgrade for average systems.

I am running BOINC on an LG Ally until around X-Mas. My wife wanted one for some reason. For anyone interested on how a 600MHz ARM processor runs on BOINC projects, here is the current links for that phone.

http://oproject.goldbach.pl/show_host_detail.php?hostid=4265
http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/show_host_detail.php?hostid=477949
http://volunteer.cs.und.edu/subset_sum/show_host_detail.php?hostid=3028
http://www.primegrid.com/show_host_detail.php?hostid=300885
http://www.enigmaathome.net/show_host_detail.php?hostid=88678
http://wuprop.boinc-af.org/show_host_detail.php?hostid=42998

Once she gets this phone, I will most likely get her Vortex. They are pretty similar phones only one has a keyboard. As people replace their old phones, I may create what I call a PHARM. (a farm of phones crunching)

Last edited:
I only have about 3 1/2 years run time left in Active projects at WCG, <1 year for my 5 year goal in DDDT2, and less the 4 years left for my BETA goal. So, once I hit my active projects goal I will move most (but not all) of my resources to other badge projects. Currently GPUGrid, YoYo, PrimeGrid, number fields, and OProject have badges. Enigma seemed to have pulled theirs. I was wondering other then GPUGrid, which of these projects [H] would like the most support for now? I will always contribute to each project a little bit, but I find my satisfaction with progress to stay focus more if it were mostly on a single target. What do you guys think?

I'm thinking GPUGrid would be great for your GPU, and YoYo wouldn't be a bad pick since we just lost a little ground there.

Yeah GPUGrid gets my 3 GT 430's as well as PrimeGrid to finish the GFN badge. Once I have the GFN badge, GPUGrid will probably get them full time. I'm currently at ~3 million points for GFN. If I get any new capable cards, they will be added there too. I'm more looking towards where to put the CPU's. I know YoYo helps with the DC Vault, but they also have some of the hardest badges to complete.

It appears enigma has work again. Both of my Droid devices are crunching them with ARM processors.

I'm switching over to Einstein for a bit to hit some personal goals there. Just moving my main machine.

Also, just hit 300M BOINC points!!

I'm switching over to Einstein for a bit to hit some personal goals there. Just moving my main machine.

Also, just hit 300M BOINC points!!
Congrats on the 300M points sir!

Looks like Enigma brought their badges back.
Its good to see Enigma active again. I know they had some issues with server hardware and such so its good to see them back at it!

Im going to try to get our WCG team signed up for the Christmas Challenge tonight and get a post up about the challenge tonight or tomorrow night. Any Commandos that want to help out in with the Challenge in December would be a big help to the effort! Specially with the GPU app out in HCC now! More details to come!

Im going to try to get our WCG team signed up for the Christmas Challenge tonight and get a post up about the challenge tonight or tomorrow night. Any Commandos that want to help out in with the Challenge in December would be a big help to the effort! Specially with the GPU app out in HCC now! More details to come!

Thanks metallicafan. Make sure to post instructions for configuring the HCC GPU client. We should have a better showing this year with all of the high power GPUs on the team. Unfortunately I'm not setup for HCC GPU crunching. I'm looking forward to getting my last Emerald badge with the final batch of Dengue work.

Also, if they want to maximize points....it would be helpful for someone to post app_info.xml files and instructions on how to set it up. For high end cards, you can run several work units at once and get some serious production out of them. ATI/AMD video cards outperform nVidia since it is OpenCL if that matters to others setting it up. I don't use the app_info since I run various CPU work at WCG and don't want to mess with all the hassle. I also don't have high end GPU's at home.

I am less then 1 year of run time away from my 5 year goal for DDDT2. So my fingers are crossed.

Back