DC Vault 2

Great work on eon everyone! phoenicis you were right. Seems that even with 20 threads (all windows) on eon I cant even seem to break the 10K PPD mark. Which makes the daily totals that you and KMac are putting up even more impressive!

Team [H]ard|OCP is #1 in eon2 today!

I guess I missed this but Enigma@home was removed a few days back from the DC Vault. The project hasn't had any work in quite some time and it sounds like they are having stability issues with their server so it might be a while before any new work would be available.

Looks like we are now only about 430points out of 4th place in the Vault. :)

Just a bit of eon2 info for anyone who might be using a Windows OS. I have an 2.4GHz i3 laptop and I had a bit of time this weekend so I decided to do some testing. This particular i3 laptop was taking about 12-13 minutes to complete most of the eon2 WUs.

Since phoenicis had mentioned that these WUs are much faster in Linux I built a Linux VM and installed BOINC and connected to eon2. Much to my surprise the WUs on the same hardware in the Linux VM (running on a Windows host OS) complete in around 4:30. A 2.5x performance increase just for setting up a simple VM. So I might make a couple more VMs for a couple other machines that I have running and see if I can sqeeze some more PPD out of the hardware. :)

Looks like the push is going well. At this rate well hit 10th place in about 2 weeks. Crunch [H]ard!

If only I had known this Saturday when I would have had time...
Haha. I hear you there. There's always next Saturday. :)

On a side note - I havent run any VMWare in a while - Man VMWare doesnt just let you download even there free versions anymore huh? I had to sign up for an account, fill out all sorts of contact info, and then it seems like they are going to review my account before they "approve" me for a download (which is estimated to take 3 days)? Damn. I wouldnt have wasted my time if I had know how that was going to work out. Luckily I could find the download elsewhere on the interweb. :(

metallicafan - I wasnt following your convo much, but is there a reason Vbox wont work?

metallicafan - I wasnt following your convo much, but is there a reason Vbox wont work?

It probably would, I've just never used it. I have VMWare Fusion for my macbook so I just figured I'd keep all my VMs interchangeable but maybe I'll give it a try. I still haven't received an email from VMWare approving my download request from Sat? :confused: Maybe I did something wrong.

In other news we passed the knights and Ars today. Nice going everyone! Passing the DPC tomorrow. 80K points today KMac - Impressive!

Haha. I hear you there. There's always next Saturday. :)

Yes there is, though I don't know about running GPU BOINC on the host OS and CPU BOINC in a virtual machine. :D

If I do give it a try, I'll report back if running the Linux VM in Hyper-V makes any difference.

OK, maybe calling Windows dog slow was a little OTT:D

No. No its not. Another weekend, another box running a Linux VM. This time its my 2500K @ 4.2GHz and just like the machine i posted about last week, Im seeing about a 66% decrease in completion times just by running BOINC in a Linux VM. About 2min - 2min10sec per WU. :) Im not putting up phoenicis numbers but I should get a nice boost out of the effort.

Looks like another 3 teams are on our overtake list in the next 2 days. Keep it up!

Last edited:
Two more spots to hit our July goal in Eon.

Unfortunately it looks like The Knights found some points somewhere because even after our great gains in Eon they are still about 500 points up on us for 4th.

Keep crunching! :)

I think that I might stay on Eon for a little while longer. See if I can help us keep our positions there and maybe even slowly gain in positions 5-10. Once cooler weather gets here I can fire back up my GPU. Maybe Sept. :) Did you have any good projects in mind for August?

Does anybody else have any AMD/ATI cards to put to use on POEM for August?
A single 7970 nets nearly 500,000 PPD.

This may be out of line / the wrong place to ask, as many have come here after issues with PG, but it is in the Vault so here goes...

[H] is back in the hunt for first place in F@H and is currently expected to pass evga in mid-September. The closer we get, the harder they will push back and more of their Crunchers will temporarily return to Folding to help hold their position.

Would a DC-Vault push in F@H be an acceptable suggestion for September?

KMac, Nvidia cards can do POEM now and they seem to get pretty good PPD from what I've been reading. I have a 6950 on POEM right now and can throw my GTX 465 over to it if we do a push with vid cards in POEM.

I think that I might stay on Eon for a little while longer. See if I can help us keep our positions there and maybe even slowly gain in positions 5-10. Once cooler weather gets here I can fire back up my GPU. Maybe Sept. :) Did you have any good projects in mind for August?

I'm thinking we make a push in SZTAKI. I moved over there and we can make up a lot of positions if we make a push next month.

Does anybody else have any AMD/ATI cards to put to use on POEM for August?
A single 7970 nets nearly 500,000 PPD.

This may be out of line / the wrong place to ask, as many have come here after issues with PG, but it is in the Vault so here goes...

[H] is back in the hunt for first place in F@H and is currently expected to pass evga in mid-September. The closer we get, the harder they will push back and more of their Crunchers will temporarily return to Folding to help hold their position.

Never hurts to ask KMac. There are fewer and fewer of us around (at least active on the boards) but I'll leave it up to the group. I for one would maybe consider moving my Nvidia GPU over for September if its not too hot out. I would have a somewhat difficult time moving my CPU's because we need those CPUs more than anything to keep gaining in the Vault.

Maybe I'll give my Nvidia card a run at a few POEM WUs this weekend. Primegrid just ran a little too hot for my liking when its this hot out.

I'm thinking we make a push in SZTAKI. I moved over there and we can make up a lot of positions if we make a push next month.

Yeah I've long thought that this project would be a good one to make up some quick ground. See if there is any interest from the group. We have moved up so much in eon I might keep at least my 2500K onit to try and hold our ground. Well be in 8th place in eon in just 5 days or so at current output!

Great work on Eon chaps!!! That was one hell of a push and thanks go to metallicafan for organising and updating along the way :cool:

My own preference for next month would be for SIMAP and Lattice with the latter appearing to deliver work in a steady stream for a change. I'm going to focus on these for a few days but will switch resources to whatever we decide. I'd be fine with Sztaki too.

Tried to move an Nvidia GPU to POEM but then lost the rig's HDD upon reboot. That's the second one I've lost in the last 3 months :(

I'd be more than happy to help out with the 4P at least. Single processor PCs won't make as much of an impression with folding as with BOINC.

I just switched my GTX 465 to POEM and it rocks. At an OC of 785 I'm doing about 420K ppd in POEM. My app_info runs 3 instances with 1 cpu thread each on my 970 rig (oc'd to 4.1ghz). I wonder how a 580 and a 680 would do?

Jump in NV guys the water is warm!!

I just switched my GTX 465 to POEM and it rocks. At an OC of 785 I'm doing about 420K ppd in POEM. My app_info runs 3 instances with 1 cpu thread each on my 970 rig (oc'd to 4.1ghz). I wonder how a 580 and a 680 would do?

Jump in NV guys the water is warm!!

I have been running my 550ti on POEM part time for the past few days. It did 180K the first full day that I ran it. I read somewhere that the latest 301 drivers give a nice boost in performance. I just installed them so I cant verify yet.

Can you explain this app_info file to me? An xml file that BOINC uses in someway sure but it lets you run more than one OpenCL WU at a time? thanks.

Edit: Installing the 301.42 Nvidia drivers (from the 28x.xx drivers) made my WUs on POEM go from 23 min to 19 per WU (at least based on the first WU). Update your drivers if you are like me and you are a little behind. :D

Last edited:
Yeah, I can PM my app_info.xml file to you and it will enable you to run 3 wu per gpu. It really increases your POEM output.

For those who like badges, numberfields@home now has them.

Thanks for the help in SZTAKI guys! We're really starting to pick up the pace and should be able to pick up LOTS of spots this month. Also, great work in POEM. We should be able to hold our position now and maybe pick one or two up.

I moved my i7 over to POEM for a while for both CPU and GPU and still have eon running as well.

Is it looking like POEM is a push for August?

I moved my i7 over to POEM for a while for both CPU and GPU and still have eon running as well.

Is it looking like POEM is a push for August?

I think we're doing SZTAKI as a cpu push and POEM as a GPU push. At least that's what I'm doing.

I've been having some pretty good luck with my Nvidia card on POEM thanks to DooKey's app_info.xml file. I'll run it as much as I can this month. I'm going to keep my CPUs on eon to try and hold our spot while you guys make a run at Sztaki (despite probably not being able to hold off the DPC, Knights, or Ars). I'll do what I can. :)

This is just a heads up. RSA Lattice Siever is merging with NFS@home soon and Superlink@Technion has work units again.

For those using nativeBOINC, PrimeGrid now has an ARM app for The Riesel Problem (Sieve).

So why aren't [H] members more active in the NCI projects?

NCI stands for non-CPU intensive. They typically can be ran beside CPU intensive projects. FreeHAL, WUProp, Surveil (which may or may not return), Quake Catcher Network, and Radioactive are all NCI. Quake Catcher Network and Radioactive require special equipment to work. However, FreeHAL can run a work unit per thread and if you choose to run the NCI version (under the website options) you can also run that many CPU intensive wu's from other projects as well. On a quad core I can run 4 WCG + 4 FreeHAL + 1 WUProp + GPU wu's. I just noticed that most of our team don't have anything at WUProp and are not real active on FreeHAL.

As a side note, Quake Catcher Network uses an accelerometer built into laptops, but they only can get Macs and some IBM thinkpads. Otherwise, you would need to purchase a USB accelerometer. Radioactive requires you to buy one of their devices.

Quite honestly, those who run exclusively FAH could also run these with minimal CPU cycles being used. However, I'm sure some would argue every cycle possible should go towards XYZ research as if it really made that much of a difference.

Last edited:
I will be shutting down my rig soon. I am moving back to the east coast. (Currently in SJ). Sadly when I return I will not have the income I have now and need to cut back. I will still be on the forums though.

I will be shutting down my rig soon. I am moving back to the east coast. (Currently in SJ). Sadly when I return I will not have the income I have now and need to cut back. I will still be on the forums though.

Keep in touch on the forums and best of luck to you.

Has anyone tried running SZTAKI on Ubuntu? (specifically 10.10) I can't seem to get the work units to complete without getting a computational error. Anyone else have this problem?

It looks like this week is going to be cooler on the weather front so I am going to start ramping up some production again and hopefully join you guys on SZTAKI on my Windows machine barring any problems otherwise I will keep on pounding ABC.

Back