DC Vault 2

updated BOINC to the latest version, updated the graphics drivers to the latest available
AMD ATI Radeon HD 5700 series (Juniper) (1024MB) driver: 1.4.1720
still 0 tasks sent.
resumed Collatz, will check tomorrow.

I've had that happenn sometimes and I just leave it alone and it gets wu within an hour or so.

Code:
16/05/2012 17:24:23 | Poem@Home | Sending scheduler request: To fetch work.
16/05/2012 17:24:23 | Poem@Home | Requesting new tasks for ATI
16/05/2012 17:24:25 | Poem@Home | Scheduler request completed: got 0 new tasks
16/05/2012 17:24:25 | Poem@Home | No tasks sent
latest BOINC, latest ATi drivers, win 2008 R2
set Collatz:pOEM to 1:10 for work, increased buffers and lowered DCF in the client_state for POEM.
still no work for POEM.

guess STD/LTD will have to kick in in a day or two, will check again then.

[EDIT]
just remembered, never introduced myself.
long time BOINC'er for another team, recently switched to F@H for team 33.
figured I would move my ati 5770 to the [H] as well

user_1035.gif

Last edited:
Welcome Mr Pernod! Good to have you aboard! I noticed your production a couple weeks ago in Collatz. Impressive work!

It looks as if eon2 will be added to the DC Vault shortly.
http://eon.ices.utexas.edu/eon2/

There is a poll and discussion here: http://www.team-ninja.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47883

It looks like we are currently 68th in this project so if anyone wants to do some crunching here we could move up very quickly.

I also posted a message in the DC Vault boards about Enigma@home not having any work for quite some time.

I threw my 2500K on eon2. I may throw my 2600K at it as well at the end of the month and keep crunching Cosmology on the 3930K for a while.

I threw my 2500K on eon2. I may throw my 2600K at it as well at the end of the month and keep crunching Cosmology on the 3930K for a while.

And it looks liek you have a little company. :)

Great job on WCG everyone! Im going to keep crunching C4SW until I get my emerald badge (another week or so) and then I'll switch it up. Maybe to Eon2 or maybe back to Muon1 or Cosmology for a while.

I havent heard from phoenicis in a while. Anyone know how his team is doing in the CC?

We got completely stuffed and now possess the dreaded Monkey Paw :( Still great fun and bloody good for the science :)

Does anyone know whats up with this Dimes project, it made a major dent in our standings. I cant see a way to create a userid for it but it looks like there are 2 HardOcp teams out there. It also wont install on my win7 64bit, says something about java , which i know is installed.

Sorry for the incredibly late response but just in case it's still useful; for some reason Dimes needs 32 bit java even on 64 bit systems. Once up and running, the user ID can be entered into the Agent > Properties > General screen.

I'll be jumping on eon2 when I get out of work today. How is the time frames and memory usage?

The eOn2 units are taking around 10 minutes per unit on my C2D and use about 6MB of RAM. Great for us non-24/7 crunchers with crap computers. :D

They're also pretty stingy with how much work you can download at once so if they ever run out of work units your boxen could be sitting idle all day without you noticing if you're working exclusively on eon. Right now I have 4 eon units total, and that's the most I've seen yet.

The eOn2 units are taking around 10 minutes per unit on my C2D and use about 6MB of RAM. Great for us non-24/7 crunchers with crap computers. :D

They're also pretty stingy with how much work you can download at once so if they ever run out of work units your boxen could be sitting idle all day without you noticing if you're working exclusively on eon. Right now I have 4 eon units total, and that's the most I've seen yet.

Wow only 10 min Wus and they only give you an average of 2 per core at once. :( Those of us who only check in on our machines once a day or once every couple days might get burned.

A shout out to DooKey and kmac! Both doing over 1 million BOINC points today! Damn nice work fellas!

Edit: now that I look closers they have been at 1M+ for three days in a row now. :)

All the credit goes to DooKey who shared his app_info which quadrupled my output.
Thanks again DooKey!

Not a problem, KMac! Thanks for the shout out, metallicafan.

I'm going to try to keep this up until the heat is unbearable in my office.

Yes they are. I don't know how long my boxen were sitting here idle today because there wasn't any work from eon or correlizer available. :(

Well we have been a quiet group as of late, but I still see a lot of hard crunching being done.

Anyone want to get together a team effort for July? I know another run at Docking or Cosmology has been discussed in the past. I always meant to get back to Muon1 and try and catch the next team min front of us. Anyone have any thoughts? Is there any interest?

Team effort for July sounds good to me. I'm down with Docking/Cosmo/Muon1. Just pick one and we'll do it.

I'm down if it's something BOINC based, cant say if I'll have the energy to switch clients. :)

One note on Correlizer though, the work can sometimes be sporadic, so if you're going all in on that you could end up idle at times.

I would prefer a BOINC based push as well. If it scales well it would be even better.

Excellent! So sounds like a BOINC project is preferred. And KMAC i assume by scales well you mean doesn't use a boat load of ram per thread?

We only need a few points to overtake 9th place in the Physical Science section. We could take another run at Cosmology but that project uses a fair amount of RAM. For instance my i7 with only 4 GB of RAM runs out of memory before I can fill all 8 threads. :(

Perhaps we should give QMC some crunching love? 1.5M points would net us 7 spots. Ive been running a few units on my 2500K (4.2GHz) and the units take anywhere from about 3-9 hours and the memory footprint is very low (30MB might be the highest I've seen per thread).

I know some of you are working on Eon2. We could also work on that as I know we can make some big gains.

Haha, yeah I suppose you are right. Its an i7 860 so its a little older chip - back when 4GB sticks weren't as common or cheap. :) I suppose I should go back and slap in some more!

KMAC i assume by scales well you mean doesn't use a boat load of ram per thread?

Probably. I tried running Cosmology (IIRC) on a 24 thread Linux box with 12 GB memory and had many failures. Since it was a dedicated F@H Linux box that ran without issue, I never investigated it further and just switched back to F@H on that box rather than adding to the push.

Each wu only takes about 7 to 8 minutes or so on my SB-E box. I burn thru lots of them in a day per thread.

Last edited:
Well since some people are already on Eon, and it seems to scale well for multiple cores why dont we go for Eon2 in July! I think our goal should be to get to 10th overall in the project!

Anyone who wants to participate is welcome! Crunch [H]ard!

Edit: I just signed up and got my first WUs. Looks like about 6 min per WU on my 2500K @ 4.2GHz.

Last edited:
OK, maybe calling Windows dog slow was a little OTT:D Linux seems to be significantly faster though .....3 mins 50 secs on a Westmere at 3.46GHz.

Will start to shift over some more cores to Eon2.

Eon2 it is! We should be able to make some good progress in the coming month.

As a gpu partner project Primegrid would be great if you have a spare Nvidia card to use. We could pick up 4 or 5 spots if you guys can shift a gpu or two over.

Well I would call 33%+ faster on a slower clocked CPU a pretty significant bit faster! Thats impressive. I wonder if one could get faster results in a Linux VM hosted in Windows?

I've got two Quads on it now. Seems to be going well, although each result is returning about 2.5 points. :D

I see we already have about 8 people returning WUs today so that's great!

DooKey - I dont have much in the way of GPUs but I do have an 550Ti. Maybe I'll fire it up today and see if I can keep it cool enough to run. Its so damn hot here that even in the basement I might not be able to keep it from breaking 80C.

Edit: These eon2 units seem to run great on slower/older cores. My i7 @ 3.0GHz (Lynnfield) with HT is doing units in 12 minutes. So the i7 completes 8 units every 12 minutes (same as an 2500K @ 4.2GHz). So if you have older or slower clocked cores it seems that (in windows anyway) these WU will still perform well. :)

Last edited:
Well, the E6400 that was doing eon is down for the time being, but I added a 8600GT on PrimeGrid.

Random thought, but has there ever been an explanation as to why DistrRTgen has never been in the vault?

This morning (since when I woke up eon2 was down) I set my resource share for malariacontrol to 0 because I wanted to set the project as a backup project if eon2 was down all day. I saw the first few tasks download and start crunching and then I left for work.

This evening when I got home this computer had downloaded 680+ malariacontrol tasks that are in my queue and its all due by July 8th!

Anyone ever had this happen? Im not even sure what to do? I guess I just abort a ton of tasks so they just don't expire in my queue?

Random thought, but has there ever been an explanation as to why DistrRTgen has never been in the vault?

About 6 - 8 months ago or so I started crunching some DistrRTgen and found it to be a pretty good project. I asked this same question and it seemed that it had just never been brought up for consideration on the Team Ninja forums. About the time when I was going to suggest that it be added to the Vault over there they had had some pretty big server problems. They had system crashes and very little work while they changed hardware and hosting companies several times, etc. Then they had problems with credit cards processors (for donations) and they were getting scraped pretty thin the way it sounded.

Anyway they finally got the sever issues and donation processing issues resolved and the project has been nice and stable for the past few months. I've been keeping my eye on it and I think it might be a good candidate for the Vault in the coming months.

About 6 - 8 months ago or so I started crunching some DistrRTgen and found it to be a pretty good project. I asked this same question and it seemed that it had just never been brought up for consideration on the Team Ninja forums. About the time when I was going to suggest that it be added to the Vault over there they had had some pretty big server problems. They had system crashes and very little work while they changed hardware and hosting companies several times, etc. Then they had problems with credit cards processors (for donations) and they were getting scraped pretty thin the way it sounded.

Anyway they finally got the sever issues and donation processing issues resolved and the project has been nice and stable for the past few months. I've been keeping my eye on it and I think it might be a good candidate for the Vault in the coming months.

I've been doing it off and on for years and I never saw any issue, guess I missed their one oops. That's still a better record of regular work than SIMAP. :D

I work in networking and security, so it's a project that really interests me. I'd be all in if it gets added.

Anyone ever had this happen? Im not even sure what to do? I guess I just abort a ton of tasks so they just don't expire in my queue?

I fat-fingered the settings on Poem and ended up with almost 1000 jobs in queue before i noticed. :eek:
I read somewhere (but have no idea where) that aborting unwanted jobs in a case like this is actually encouraged. Aborting the job notifies the server and the job is reassigned right away rather than have to wait for the deadline to pass before being reassigned.

Back