DC Vault 2

I'm clearly going to have to be more careful discussing intentions on the forum:D I strayed over to the DPC forum only to find I was watching them watching us (last 2 pages of the DC Vault thread). This DC crunching really is good fun :cool:

Even through the translation, they do explain the lull in points much better than I did in my haste last night :eek:

A heart felt well done to all the DC Commandos on 6th place :)

Edit: Our Dutch friends take their stats quite seriously! Credit to DigiK-oz for these. I do tend get quite excited about such things - sorry if you've seen all this before.

Last edited:
Whoops... busted :D

Always helps to know what the competition is doing, didn't know google translate was that good.
And yeah, we're a bunch of stats-addicts..

Kudos for the quick rise in the vault
rc5.gif
[DPC]Qazwaplol

Last edited:
Welcome Qazwaplol :) Until today I didn't realise that google translate was that good either.

It's good to know that the 3rd place team is so concerned about little old us. Only 11K Vault points and you're ours :p

Finally made it to 6th place! Nice crunching everyone! And only about another 1K to 5th. I imagine the points will start to get a little harder to come by however. I'll be moving my i7 to various BOINC projects for a little work and then to WCG in Dec but Im going to leave my other machines on Muon1 and just keep chipping away/maintaining out spot.

There are a lot of great crunching going on around but props to DooKey for some great work in yoyo!

Heh that translated DPC thread was amusing. Looks like I'm finally starting to see some points in PSP again.

I've been studying for the MCITP exam all week so I scaled back some crunching to keep the fans quieter in my office while I cram. I need to reintegrate a SmartUPS back into my setup when I have some free time.

Judging from their output on GIMPS, they dont want to be caught there. C'mon just roll over.

Razor (or anyone else who might have info) - Any idea if adding DistrRTgen has ever been discussed on the DCVault forums? I looked back in recent New project posts and even in the archive but saw nothing. Near as I can tell it would meet the requirements. I've been running it for a few days now and have had steady work. The admins seem active as they have a few news posts on the front page about server upgrades/downtime. The stats update regularly on FreeDC.

Our team is doing pretty well here and might get us a boost in the Vault. Anyone have any thoughts?

Razor (or anyone else who might have info) - Any idea if adding DistrRTgen has ever been discussed on the DCVault forums? I looked back in recent New project posts and even in the archive but saw nothing. Near as I can tell it would meet the requirements. I've been running it for a few days now and have had steady work. The admins seem active as they have a few news posts on the front page about server upgrades/downtime. The stats update regularly on FreeDC.

Our team is doing pretty well here and might get us a boost in the Vault. Anyone have any thoughts?
I don't remember it being brought up and I looked through the archives and didn't find anything.
Now that they have there I/O upgrades done and looks like they can keep up with the added pressure of being added to the DC-Vault I think they would make a good candidate.
If you want to bring it up in the DC-Vault I'll be there to help or I can bring it to there attention if you like.
I have a couple of Cuda's I can (need) to put on and get some of those very generous points.

p.s. - Speaking of Cuda cards, I'm still waiting for my EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Classified 1536MB that I pre-ordered and built another computer to put it in just to have it run Gimps all winter.

Hmmm.. I still get Validate errors on DistrRTgen running 3.45
Maybe there not ready for the big time yet.

Oh really? I've been running it for 3-4 days now with no problems. I even completed some CPU work (mostly cuda work though). Which Nvidia card/drivers are you running? I have a 550Ti with the 280.26 drivers in Windows 7 x64.

Sweet card there. Do i see 3 power connectors on that card? :eek: I bet that thing can do some crunching. I've liked my 550ti so well ive been thinking of grabbing either a second one or a 560ti for some more crunching power.

EDIT: More info on the invalid results. Seems they had a bug a few days ago. Maybe they are still working out a bug or two?
http://boinc.freerainbowtables.com/distrrtgen/forum_thread.php?id=55
Most of the cuda units im getting are the ntlm_mixalpha WUs but I do have a few of the hybrid2 WUs in my queue so I'll see if those fail overnight.

EDIT2: Scratch that. I just looked at my account page on DistrRTgen and I've had 9 invalid tasks but they were all back on the 16th and 17th. I'll let you know if I get any more.

Last edited:
So i got another dual Xeon E5620 (2.4 GHz) slacking around here. Any suggestion what project i should run ? :) - (has to be Linux x64)

More crunching power is a great thing! Looking at Sazan's list of the best "bang for your buck" projects Seventeen or Bust might be a good option or yoyo@home. They both have Linux x64 applications. I'll let someone else chime in if PRP has a Linux client. But really anything that looks good to you will be helpful!

PRP has a Linux client but phoenicis and I both had problems getting it to work properly. I eventually got it to work temporarily and I am not sure about phoenicis.

Climate Prediction maybe a good one as well, but like metallicafan said look at Sazan's list.

GIMPS has a Linux x64 client but it looks like GPU is the way to go now. OGR-27 (distributed.net) has a variety of Linux clients. SoB and Yoyo are also good choices. I know Muon1 and Wieferich are Windows-only.

I've been having trouble getting Docking work - BOINC seems to only be requesting GPU work. Any suggestions? I'm glad I'm running both Climate Prediction and Docking because it seems one or the other is usually having trouble. :(

Oh really? I've been running it for 3-4 days now with no problems. I even completed some CPU work (mostly cuda work though). Which Nvidia card/drivers are you running? I have a 550Ti with the 280.26 drivers in Windows 7 x64.
GTS250's running 280.26 on Win7 x64.
Is there a minimum video card requirement for DistrRTgen?

From what I can tell as long as the card supports CUDA and has at least 128MB of RAM it should be good. Were your cards completing any works or did all the WUs error out?

I see the Commandos grabbed another 3 spots in GIMPS for another 70+ points! Nice work! :)

From what I can tell as long as the card supports CUDA and has at least 128MB of RAM it should be good. Were your cards completing any works or did all the WUs error out?

I see the Commandos grabbed another 3 spots in GIMPS for another 70+ points! Nice work! :)
They completed the work units normally without errors. Thrse GTS250s are good crunchers with proven OC.
When the GTX580 Classified gets here I'll try some on it.
The Classified has 3 power connectors on it and can draw as much as 1000 watts!

If any Commandos would like to run Majestic-12 project but doesn't due to lack of bandwidth, now you can Rent MJ-12 Nodes.
Refic, the MJ-12 moderator and one of the top contributing members in Majestic is offering optimized nodes on servers with average 10Mbit crawling rate for only $20/month payable via PayPal.
No configuration except filling in your desired user name, password, email and country in the provided Web GUI that lets you monitor the node and restart if necessary.
For every 10Mbit you can expect about 5 million URLs crawled per day.
Once user account is created by filling out user info and restarting node then join team [H]ard|OCP in MJ-12 stats.

I personally vouch for Refic and renting these nodes.
This is a great option at a competitive price.

Judging from their output on GIMPS, they dont want to be caught there. C'mon just roll over.

I wasn't about to, i sure love a nice battle for points you [H] do still have the upper hand :(
and in the long run we will lose our place but we, as youk will have gained quite some points at GIMPS.

Greetings from a Cow

Looks like Compute for Clean Water WUs have "dried up".

So I downloaded a batch of RNA World units, and am greeted with a nominal 11 day unit (who knows how long it will take in actuality). Here we go... :rolleyes:

edit: bah, lost the unit already (ran too many rna units and ran out of memory). I think I'll just stick to Malaria Control.

Last edited:
Well, im back doing OGR-27 because i really like the client. Team HardOCP bumped +2 spots up to rank 59 total now and rank 9 in yesterday's stats. Flushed over 500k GNodes and expecting another at least 500k for today :)

Looks like Compute for Clean Water WUs have "dried up".

So I downloaded a batch of RNA World units, and am greeted with a nominal 11 day unit (who knows how long it will take in actuality). Here we go... :rolleyes:

Nice. Just be sure that if the unit approaches the deadline you go to RNA's website and request an extension. Not to scare you or anything but I had some XXL units run for a month or so.

Well, im back doing OGR-27 because i really like the client. Team HardOCP bumped +2 spots up to rank 59 total now and rank 9 in yesterday's stats. Flushed over 500k GNodes and expecting another at least 500k for today :)

Nice work there, TheMTZ.

If anyone feels like giving me a hand with yoyo@home we could gain ground there much faster.

If any Commandos would like to run Majestic-12 project but doesn't due to lack of bandwidth, now you can Rent MJ-12 Nodes.
Refic, the MJ-12 moderator and one of the top contributing members in Majestic is offering optimized nodes on servers with average 10Mbit crawling rate for only $20/month payable via PayPal.
No configuration except filling in your desired user name, password, email and country in the provided Web GUI that lets you monitor the node and restart if necessary.
For every 10Mbit you can expect about 5 million URLs crawled per day.
Once user account is created by filling out user info and restarting node then join team [H]ard|OCP in MJ-12 stats.

I personally vouch for Refic and renting these nodes.
This is a great option at a competitive price.

Razor thanks for sharing this. This is a neat approach to participating in the project!

I wasn't about to, i sure love a nice battle for points you [H] do still have the upper hand :(
and in the long run we will lose our place but we, as youk will have gained quite some points at GIMPS.

Greetings from a Cow

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi sir. :)

The DPCs are really pouring the coal onto PSP and GIMPS. They’re building to a major PSP push during November and one of our visitors is submitting manual assignments off the radar. It’s taking me slightly longer to translate now that they’re combining words in an attempt to evade our snooping.

I gave Majestic-12 a try but I’m afraid my domestic router and broadband connection just wasn’t up to the task. Serious kudos to Razor and McCoy for the truly amazing output they’re achieving there.

If anyone feels like giving me a hand with yoyo@home we could gain ground there much faster.

Great work on yoyo DooKey, will move over some support. I'm suffering from BOINC withdrawal after a couple of months on DPAD/PSP. Many thanks to you for putting me forward for DCer OTM and to those that voted for me. The nod was much appreciated and it was an honour just to be nominated.

I switched over to yoyo@home on my work computer.

On a more positive note I recently bought a 2600k system, currently have it OC'd to 4.8, was going to try to poke around and get 4.9 out of it this weekend, we'll see how temps play, though. It's currently crunching on F@H for the giveaway, but after this month i'll be bringing it over to the commando side of things! Should be a lot better than my old Q6600 was!

News Flash:
Razor_FX_II says in DC-Vault:
Code:
Laughing Out Loud - "Beyond (Ars) folds like a cheap suit !"
Can't answer any questions just stands on an unsupported accusation !
Request for change?

Very interesting Razor. I was following that last week but I didn't see the conclusion of it until now.

I see the Cows started ramping up further on PSP that they are no longer in our crosshairs. These races make add a lot of fun and excitement to the races. With Sandy Bridge E coming out very very soon I bet we are going to see a lot more ramp ups from teams. (hopefully including our own.)

Nice progress in yoyo@home. We'll move up fast with the extra cores rocking now.

Overall for the commandos we are doing great. We'll take 5th before you know it.

Which platform should I stick with for BOINC/Commando projects? An [email protected] (crosshairs V MB or an old MB) or i7 920 @ 3.4 C0 stepping. It's going to be my used for my HTPC.

I got both currently and looking to consolidate to one.

News Flash:
Razor_FX_II says in DC-Vault:
Code:
Laughing Out Loud - "Beyond (Ars) folds like a cheap suit !"
Can't answer any questions just stands on an unsupported accusation !
Request for change?
Razor - thanks for posting this link. its been quite an interesting discussion.

I canceled my pre-ordered EVGA GTX580 Classified because it could still be a month or two before I get it and instead ordered the ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68 & Intel Core i7-2700K Sandy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core
I'll run that in SoB all winter and get some work done.
That is going to be quite a crunching platform! :) I might be getting a 2500K myself. I was also leaning toward a new GPU to do some crunching but my other old MB is dying so I guess a 2500K in a Home Server might do the trick instead!

Which platform should I stick with for BOINC/Commando projects? An [email protected] (crosshairs V MB or an old MB) or i7 920 @ 3.4 C0 stepping. It's going to be my used for my HTPC.

I got both currently and looking to consolidate to one.
Keep both! :p Seriously if you are only keeping one and its going to be a HTPC I'd keep the rig that is more power efficient. Are the machines similar in performance?

Not a good day. Power went down throughout our village earlier on today. I've managed to remotely bring everything back up except for the quad opteron rig which is not powering up and will have to wait until I get home at the weekend. Pending a resolution, my output will be taking a significant hit :(

On the bright side it's good to see fresh hardware rolling in. Nice going guys.

SazanEyes,

Could you please post a new "priority list" for projects? We've moved up in quite a few different projects recently and I think at least Muon1 will have dropped down quite a bit.

I'm currently running on Yoyo@home at work and at home as I saw a few people starting to put some weight into that project. I'll stick to that unless we can think of something else!

Another great DC Vault update of +102 points. Who is rocking the Climate Prediction? Sazan? Nice work!

And add another spot for Razor and Co. in MJ12! Moving up!

I'll work on a new priority list. I think GIMPS has dropped further, thanks to all the GPU crunching. Anything below 9K in the Vault will still be in the top 10 probably.

I'm running Climate Prediction and Yoyo on my SR-2. There are a couple others helping out in Climate Prediction. I just hated having our team ranked in the 500s. There are a decent number of idle teams above us, so we're moving up, but the WUs take a long time to run and lately they've been having server problems, so the project can be frustrating.

Good news everybody! (Dr. Farnsworth voice)

I shall be returning this Christmas with some crunching power! I will be moving to San Jose for 8 months to do a Coop at Cisco! :D

The apartment will not be cheap but, since it will have power included in the price, I will be able to bring some of my beasts back online!

I've missed you guys and how much you have grown in my absence!

(p.s. Its not July anymore :p)

Good news everybody! (Dr. Farnsworth voice)

I shall be returning this Christmas with some crunching power! I will be moving to San Jose for 8 months to do a Coop at Cisco! :D

The apartment will not be cheap but, since it will have power included in the price, I will be able to bring some of my beasts back online!

I've missed you guys and how much you have grown in my absence!

(p.s. Its not July anymore :p)

Glad to have you back. I am very jealous of your free power. I hope your apartment does not get tagged as a grow house;)

Wait it isn't July anymore?

Back