DC Vault 2

Thanks for he heads up about RNAWorld Razor.

I guess it is August - time gets away from me. Eric it looks like you have already started on Muon. I'll come join you. Should we make a new thread for August?

Select the "Advanced" menu item and select "Event Log..." - I hope that is what your looking for.
I been using 6.12.33 for a while and seems stable.

That was it. I suppose the Notices tab might be useful for something eventually, but right now it's blank and therefore seems like a waste of space. At least the old tab showed what BOINC was doing behind the scenes.

I've started my desktop SR-2 on RNA World, along with the two dedicated boxen running W@H and PRP. I'll probably leave everything else off through August as I'm still fighting the heat (and more importantly the electric bill).

I mentioned a while ago that I had one box running the RC of Home Server 2011. Well, it expired and started rebooting. Since that was the box running W@H, I installed Win7 on it, and it's back up and running now.

RNA World is now in the DC-Vault which gave us (
up.gif
8,826.815642)

That puts close to striking distance for the DC-Vault's 8th position.
We are currently in 44th position in RNA World and climbing.

It looks like RNA World is short on WUs now.

Some of these XXL units are going to take me 1-2 days, wow.

Great work on RNA guys. It would be sweet to get a couple hundred more points in that project. Im going to stay on Muon1 for the rest of August. It will be a long battle but hopefully we can keep chipping away at the next two teams.

Looks like temps will be in the lower 80's and upper 70's this week so the farm is all on and running RNA World.

Have any of you guys noticed this yet? LHC@Home! I'm interested in this project, not sure if it'd ever get added to the Vault or anything, but i wouldn't mind taking a whack :)

News post, @dailytech:
http://www.dailytech.com/CERN+Invites+Citizens+to+Help+the+LHC+Find+the+Higgs+Boson/article22388.htm

Main website:
http://lhcathome.web.cern.ch/LHCathome/Physics/

*Edit: They dont seem to be having great luck at overclock.net with their setups
http://www.overclock.net/overclock-net-boinc-team/1081027-new-project-lhc-home-2-0-a.html

Last edited:
Have any of you guys noticed this yet? LHC@Home! I'm interested in this project, not sure if it'd ever get added to the Vault or anything, but i wouldn't mind taking a whack :)
Here is our team page in LHC 2.0 Test4Theory. I tried to put some points in it last week but work units were very very long running and couldn't get any of them to finish correctly (ran on my best Boinc computer) or receive any credit.
If you get it to work let me know as I would like to put a few points into it eventually.

I may give it a shot at home at some point but I highly doubt i'll be able to run it at work where my real horsepower is. I'd rather not install virtualization on the work computers. =/

I'll be sure to let you know if I try, Razor!

I tried running Test4Theory and and the task immediately finished with an error. Hopefully they'll get the bugs worked out.

Lost 90 hours on a RNA Intron unit because of a kernel panic. I suspect the malaria control (which i was mixing) units are more stressful and my overclock may not be stable enough for them.

I've been having forum withdrawals due to 40 hr weeks and trying to move at the same time. It's sad to see such low production out of me but, since I am paying for power now DC has been put to the back. Good job on RNA! I wish I could be there to help out :(

A belated well done to the team on 9th place from your Johnny-come-lately member. It looks like 8th place could be just round the corner.

Lost 90 hours on a RNA Intron unit because of a kernel panic. I suspect the malaria control (which i was mixing) units are more stressful and my overclock may not be stable enough for them.

Ouch.

I've just had a unit complete after 5.5 days. I know they're working on introducing checkpointing but it can't happen soon enough.

I've been having forum withdrawals due to 40 hr weeks and trying to move at the same time. It's sad to see such low production out of me but, since I am paying for power now DC has been put to the back. Good job on RNA! I wish I could be there to help out :(

I can empathise after a recent 20% hike in electricity prices where I am. The one saving grace of a lousy Cheshire Summer is minimal A/C costs.

Thanks for the useful guide on joining difficult projects. It got me thinking about straying from BOINC and I've now moved a Windows rig over to try and help out on Muon1.

Welcome back to OGR-27, TheMTZ. Also good job on RNA World, phoenicis. Looks like you might catch me soon.

I might start some more machines back up, but I want to see what my next electric bill looks like. The last two months have been painful.

Good to have you aboard in Muon, phoenicis! The [H]ard|OCP team just hit 250M. Only 75M more to go to the next team! :D

Welcome back to OGR-27, TheMTZ. Also good job on RNA World, phoenicis. Looks like you might catch me soon.

I might start some more machines back up, but I want to see what my next electric bill looks like. The last two months have been painful.

The team is doing stompingly well with the co-ordinated attack on RNA World, so it's going to be a somewhat embarrassed wave if I pass you Sazan. Looking forward to you firing up the dormant machines when the weather/leccy bill permits.

It looks like the points system will keep our momentum going long after we've stopped the RNA push - I seem to have built up over 100K in pending credits.

Good to have you aboard in Muon, phoenicis! The [H]ard|OCP team just hit 250M. Only 75M more to go to the next team! :D

Yep, a bit of a slog but I just couldn't resist joining your pursuit of the 417 Vault points sitting with the group of 3 above us. Only 74M now, the longer the anticipation ….. :D

My power was out for several hours this morning - just my neighborhood so it must have been a blown transformer. I'm powering everything back up now. Power outages always expose UPS issues, so I might do some shuffling later this week.

I've been being lazy on muon and not setting up the other workstation over the weekend... you guys and your 200k are making me nervous.

got a question about some of these rna world xxl wu, i've got a couple over 100hrs and they say 100% but are still running. Is this normal or a bad WU, i hate to waste over a hundred hours of cycle time

It sounds like a bad WU to me, but I personally haven't seen any. All of my WUs seem to finish as expected. It could be a sign of an unstable overclock.

Big time kudos to the whole team!
It still just amazes me how far we have come in such a very short time.

got a question about some of these rna world xxl wu, i've got a couple over 100hrs and they say 100% but are still running. Is this normal or a bad WU, i hate to waste over a hundred hours of cycle time

I dont have any experience withe these WUs but there is a thread on their forum tha has users reporting tasks taking hundreds of hours, but no mention of sitting at 100% for extended periods of time. You could always make a post on their forum if you wanted. How far out is the deadline?

http://www.rechenkraft.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=10717&start=228

You can unchecked the XXL work units option in your RNA World's account preferences so you only receive the small work units.

Some of the longer XXL units are estimated badly so they will run at 100% for awhile. The intron ones might take up a whole month; the e-coli ones take several days.

dmaine - Welcome to Muon. Looking good! That bring us 5 crunchers to Muon. Starting to move along pretty good! :)

RNA World was getting crowded and got its points, decided to try muon. looks like we need a lot of crunchers to move up though.

Welcome to Muon dmaine!

We're in a bit of a dead zone between some groups of teams which is unfortunate. However once we get to the next group we should be able to over take 3 teams pretty quickly! (in 80-90 days ><).

We'll get there though :D

I'll start Muon again when it gets colder. It's still hitting 90 degrees here, although the electric bill was a bit lower this month.

Noticed something interesting today, since i have been doing Muon1, my GPU grid stats dropped considerably. I checked gpu usage and was down to 35% GPU usage while running Muon1, when i stopped Muon1, GPU usuage went back to around 98%. Never had a issue with GPU usage and any other cpu crucnhing. I switched to Primegrid gpu only and Muon1 and my gpu usage is back up to 98%. any one seen anything like this, it seems to be only Gpugrid and Muon1 together don't like each other.

Congrats on the #1 spot TheMTZ! Good work!

Props to the whole team on RNAWorld! You guys just cracked the Top 20. :) A special shout out to phoenicis - I saw a couple days of 100K points in RNA World. That's [H]ard if I've ever seen it. Cheers!

dmaine - I've been running Primegrid for a while now and like you said havent been having any issues. Maybe I'll grab a GPUGrid WU or two and see if I get the same result as you. I assume that you are running the large GPUGrid WUs?

Noticed something interesting today, since i have been doing Muon1, my GPU grid stats dropped considerably. I checked gpu usage and was down to 35% GPU usage while running Muon1, when i stopped Muon1, GPU usuage went back to around 98%. Never had a issue with GPU usage and any other cpu crucnhing. I switched to Primegrid gpu only and Muon1 and my gpu usage is back up to 98%. any one seen anything like this, it seems to be only Gpugrid and Muon1 together don't like each other.
Try this -
If you have your Muon1 config file's cores to use set to Auto then try setting it to the number of cores your CPU has (like 4 for a Quad Core) or if you have it set to the number of cores your CPU has then try changing it to Auto.
I found that they differ about 4% total CPU usage and that may be enough CPU time to keep your GPU fed with GPUGrid work.

Hey all! Sorry I've been out of it for a month or so, but my main quad box for BOINC + 2xGPU for F@H died last month, and money's too short to spring for a new CPU... I put up about 100K in Cosmology, then my BOINC client on my family room box became corrupted while I was out of town...

So I'm back in with one old q9550 on OGR for now, and if I can ever afford a new PSU, I'll add my q6600 back in sometime!

Jeez, dmaine, way to mow over me in a matter of weeks in dpad. On another note great job everyone on RNA World. My queue in RNA World is filled with nothing but the XXL units. I guess everyone must be turning them back. One XXL unit I have is 208 hours in and it is still churning.

Back