DC Vault 2

Justberry, I am glad that you question these things because the science absolutely should come first. I can assure you that we have been working with Kevin on this, but I do not know what all is allowed to be discussed openly. Therefore, I will recommend that everyone just "hold their horses" on the issue until Kevin gets a chance to respond. As I understand it, he is away at the moment and has limited time to communicate. However, I can assure you that there was no cheating, nor any underhandedness going on. We are still waiting on some of the same answers that DPC is waiting on in regards to what errors Kevin was referring to. He also did not state whether it was our optimized client, his own version of ours as he compiles it for multiple platforms for testing, or perhaps other volunteers clients that are being compiled elsewhere. Most of us as far as I know of are complying with his request and are holding off for further response from him.

Please remind your fellow team mates that quitting because of the promise of better future apps is rediculous because there is always faster hardware/software on the horizon. They should live in the hear and now and do what they can. Those who focus on the points being worth less in the future should never look at stats because they will never do any work. I myself reduced participation mainly to try and support the conclusion of Docking@Home this month. Otherwise, my clients would continue running the stock apps at POGS.

Set my POGS hosts to no new work for now too, to see what comes of the client debate. Unsure whether I'll just reset the clients and go back to the "official" one, or set them to work on another project for the time being.

I would recommend resetting the clients because if he does release an optimized client, then it is the only approved one and it should get updated anytime he makes a change. If you continue using the app_info, I don't believe you get the updated apps without manually modifying things.

Work is scarce at Docking. If your systems have the RAM, NFS would be a good choice. :p

Yeah, I would reset them to be sure if I stayed on POGS anyway, just unsure whether to keep crunching POGS or go on NFS which was my plan before DPC started pushing. I'll have to ease back into NFS though, some of my systems won't have enough RAM and some did have issues last time, so I might have to start them slowly, make sure they don't start crashing out again.

If it is a memory issue, perhaps splitting the contribution with another RAM light project like enigma or Asteroids

I have all of mine running Asteroids, NFS will have to wait until I get some more memory It did not work so well on my 4P's literally brought them to their knees. NFS says 1GB per WU that is not true many of them were using 2.1GB to 2.2GB per WU. I do have some coming pretty soon from Patriot so I should be able to help out there when it gets here.

I have all of mine running Asteroids, NFS will have to wait until I get some more memory It did not work so well on my 4P's literally brought them to their knees. NFS says 1GB per WU that is not true many of them were using 2.1GB to 2.2GB per WU. I do have some coming pretty soon from Patriot so I should be able to help out there when it gets here.

Honestly, with your hardware, you could tear up several positions at eOn. I'm guessing you could probably knock out the next 12 positions within a few weeks as long as they could feed you. :D The work units are usually really small and light and worth 14.8 Vault points per position. However, I haven't really focused much on that project, so couldn't tell you the ins and outs just yet. It is on my "to do" list.

Just keep an eye out for this error...I only did a quick look in their forums to see if there were any known issues. http://eon.ices.utexas.edu/eon2/forum_frames.php

Set my 2600 to work on NFS, thought that system had 8GB but it has 4...oops! 8 threads running with 2.75GB RAM used total, which seems light, but I'm not complaining. I'll throw some more RAM in later though.

Set my 2600 to work on NFS, thought that system had 8GB but it has 4...oops! 8 threads running with 2.75GB RAM used total, which seems light, but I'm not complaining. I'll throw some more RAM in later though.

Be careful if it does you like it did me it will start out giving you a mix of 14, 15 and 16 work then after a day or so just nail the lid in the coffin with nothing but 16 :(

Looks like all 14s so far probably due to the amount of RAM. I'll see how it goes overnight as it's 75-80% through this first batch, will throw in another 4GB tomorrow anyway. My two quads have 4GB each, they should be alright but I can throw in an extra 2-4GB in each if needed. Only problem is my hex, will probably have to mix it up with another project along with NFS as suggested because I don't have enough spare RAM to let it max out 12 threads, plus VMs, plus general usage.

Honestly, with your hardware, you could tear up several positions at eOn. I'm guessing you could probably knock out the next 12 positions within a few weeks as long as they could feed you. :D The work units are usually really small and light and worth 14.8 Vault points per position. However, I haven't really focused much on that project, so couldn't tell you the ins and outs just yet. It is on my "to do" list.

Just keep an eye out for this error...I only did a quick look in their forums to see if there were any known issues. http://eon.ices.utexas.edu/eon2/forum_frames.php

Granpa, looking at other projects as a suggestion, enigma would also be a low memory project that you could tear up multiple spots for us. tjmagneto has already done a big push to the latest position gain.

yeah there are several that I am planning on running I am back on pogs for a little while but I may soon drop it since several are still running the unofficial client and the work may end up being useless, if they are still running it tomorrow I will switch to something else, probably Asteroids and or eon I tested it the other day it ran pretty good, I will probably test enigma as well for future carnage, and a bunch of memory and chips from Patriot will be here on Monday (Thank you Patriot) so I will be doing some upgrading to the stables next week so some of the rigs will be down from time to time. :D

Hey Jathanis, Docking work units are now in high demand and hard to come by. Keep a backup project going and get what you can. I'm also shooting for a high run time for WUProp badge potential on top of the 1 million point goal. If they don't get more work units soon, I don't think my goals will be possible.

Yeah, I've been out of town at training all week, and just came home and noticed my q6600 ran out of WUs at Docking. Tried to do some manual updates, but I think everyone loading up their queues knocked out all of the available work well before the end of the month. So on to POGS for a while, then over to Yoyo for me. At least while I was down I picked up a few hundred hours of GPUGrid CPU apps to give me one more toward a third WUProp star, so not a total waste of time (just points/hour lol)

Meanwhile over at Enigma@Home, Free Tibet was mowed and we moved up one.

Boy, good for you that my mighty Galaxy Tab single core was there to help on that push! :cool: Actually, Murphy's law struck - both my tablet (full time on Enigma) and phone (part time) somehow turned off the Native BOINC client last weekend, and I just noticed... Had you not mentioned, I may have not noticed for days more - thanks!

Granpa, looking at other projects as a suggestion, enigma would also be a low memory project that you could tear up multiple spots for us. tjmagneto has already done a big push to the latest position gain.

What, Grandpa has a few tablets sitting around, too? :D

I'm donating two more Optiplex 360s on Monday that will give minimal borg time. But, every little bit counts.

Last edited:
Last edited:
We should be over taking The Knights Who Say Ni! just in time for DPC to trample over us. So, we wont be losing our over all 9th place or the Vault points we currently enjoy. That would leave us in good position to take one more spot rather quickly at current production. However, once the GPU client gets released, I'm sure the dynamics will change at POGS.

At least that balances out, then we can see how the land lies once the GPU client is released (and perhaps the official optimised client).

We're on course to overtake two more teams in NFS within a week or thereabouts so that should help a little.

I only used about a third of my data this month and have 3 days before the new one begins. I am starting Majestci-12 back up on the laptop. Who knows, I may add it to another system too.

I'm working with Rusty and hopefully some other admins soon on ways to make the DC-Vault forums hop more instead of feeling like a ghost town. Since I have been made an admin, I will have access to discussions behind the curtain and kinda need to know what our team or even possibly others have to say. So, please post here or PM me things that you think will improve your experience with both the Vault in general and possibly their forums. This is your opportunity to be heard and possibly make a difference.

Just to clear up a few items for more free-dc fun:

1. Brilong's links and Grandpa's link are using two different versions of the site - and they do have different links on the left hand menu! Note the difference of Grandpa's "stats6.free-dc.org" and the rest of our "stats.free-dc.org". That 6 changes the colors, a bit of the layout/font, and the menu structure... There's also a "stats4.free-dc.org" that doesn't render correct for me in Firefox - I think it was some default that was never developed...
  2. Both have a link for "Your CPID", which is what Gilthanis was thinking of, that shows only BOINC. Then there is the "Your STATS page" link, which is on both pages, but in different spots - much higher on the stats6. page than on the basic stats. page. And last, the stats. page has an additional link for "Your page" right above "Your STATS page" that is identical to "Your CPID page"...
  3. Next, some projects don't always want to show up on the overall Project list pages. If you can't find something, click on the "Statstool Config" (stats.free-dc-org) or "Statstool configuration" (stats6.free-dc-org) link in the left menu. This will bring you to a page that allows you to control exactly what shows up on your pages. This uses the Project specific ID, and can take some work to figure out on non-BOINC projects. For example, MUON/DPAD uses exactly what you add to the user.txt file (Jathanis[H] in my case), F@H is Jathanis33, etc...
  4. Last, at the very bottom is where you find the BOINC Cross Project ID (for if that gets screwed up), and a choice to change the layout from default to other choices - on my computer, Firefox only shows two numbered themes for stats.free-dc-org, but 20 or so for stats6.free-dc-org. And none of the names themes work for me on either, but as always, YMMV!
So Gilthanis - want me to adapt this into a full blown Guide? :D

I can't see your links, but I think the CPID page just shows the BOINC projects doesn't it?

You can use the user main stats page it will show all of your projects including non boinc projects. As you can see Dime and F@H show up on mine
http://stats6.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=usermain&name=Grandpa_01

brilong click on the link and then over on the left hand side click on (your STATS page) Gimps is showing up for you in the link http://stats6.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=search&proj=&team=&name=brilong&exact=N&cross=N

Jathanis, I'm all about guides. And as always, this is very helpful. Especially at a site that already has an overwhelming amount of information available to you. I frequent BOINCStats more and still have navigation troubles. Thanks for this.

My problem with Free-DC is my username (login name) is not associated with my CPID. I just went to the Statstool config, hit create and got shown a huge list of projects with checkboxes. I filled in my username for the projects, clicked the checkbox and hit update.

This populated "Your page" with the projects but the stats are all zero for now. I also entered my CPID in the Statstool config and clicked "Update by CPID" but I don't see any differences in "Your page". I guess it might take a while to update.

Also, which team do I enter under Statstool config since we're known by [H]ardOCP and HardOCP?

My problem with Free-DC is my username (login name) is not associated with my CPID. I just went to the Statstool config, hit create and got shown a huge list of projects with checkboxes. I filled in my username for the projects, clicked the checkbox and hit update.

This populated "Your page" with the projects but the stats are all zero for now. I also entered my CPID in the Statstool config and clicked "Update by CPID" but I don't see any differences in "Your page". I guess it might take a while to update.

Also, which team do I enter under Statstool config since we're known by [H]ardOCP and HardOCP?

I think you may be leaving your user ID off on the lines that are checked, There has to be a checkmark in the box and a user ID # on the line before you click update the user ID should be a # xxxxx you can find it on the login page (your account page) of the project you are running.

YoYo@home now has an optimized app for Odd Weird Search on Sandy Bridge+ systems.

Hello,

here you can download an optimized version for Intel Sandybridge processors.
We expect a 10% speed increase.

How to install the app:
1) If not yet done attach to yoyo@home
2) Shutdown Boinc
3) Download the app and extract the content into projects/www.rechenkraft.net_yoyo
4) start boinc
5) download a OddWeirdSearch wu.

yoyo

http://www.rechenkraft.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=14419

I think you may be leaving your user ID off on the lines that are checked, There has to be a checkmark in the box and a user ID # on the line before you click update the user ID should be a # xxxxx you can find it on the login page (your account page) of the project you are running.

You are correct. Sure wish that form had some error checking. I had a heck of a time finding my GIMPS ID. Could not find a reference on mersenne.org, but Free-DC had my username tied to a number, so I entered that number and now "Your page" shows all my stats. This is not very intuitive. :mad:

brilong, this is why I only go to Free-DC for the non-BOINC projects. Sometimes I will look at the BOINC projects to see our next over take and such, but just use select functions of the site. It is just a mess most of the time as far as usability goes. That's not to say that BOINCStats doesn't have its problems. Because it does too. I just like its setup better.

I like how this is looking now:
GIMPS HardOCP

Looks like we'll move up 3 positions over the next 15 days or so. Each position is 19.12 points in the Vault. Woohoo!

I've got two GTX 580's and one GTX 560 Ti (448) running 24x7 on GIMPS and they're kicking butt. NickOfTime, what are you running for GIMPS?

brilong or NickOfTime, would you recommend running the mfaktc or the CUDALucas app? I have a crappy nVidia 210 not in use on the machine currently running 2 CPU cores for GIMPS.

Nevermind...according to http://www.mersenneforum.org/showpost.php?p=267351&postcount=4 CUDALucas requires Compute Capability of 1.3 or higher. I think the 210 is only 1.2. So that means mfaktc it is

Last edited:
Have you seen the latest GPU Compute Sheet?
http://www.mersenneforum.org/gccs/GIMPS_GPU_Computing_Cheat_Sheet.pdf

I'm not sure the 210 is worth running, but I guess it won't hurt. :)

I think I did see that sheet.... The only reason I would run it is because that is what is in this system and would be better than nothing at all. ;) However, I've never compiled anything and the directions seem to want me to do that...debating on if it is worth the effort to even bother to begin with. Clients should be simple and ready to go for most users. Especially when a project has been running for several years...

Edit: also, if I had this working, I could probably stick a second 210 in with it. The Optiplex 7010's have dual PCIe slots in them.

Last edited:
For muon dpad, our production is enough to keep ahead of the trailing team. But the next team production is higher now, When I was looking at the stats before they had a lull and now have resumed production. Overclockers UK is pushing at the moment but are behind us quite a bit and their overtake is at 800 days...

Back