DC Server and snapshot removal, dc issues

Veeam has been leaving a few "temporary snapshots" problem is if one doesn't get removed it seems to have a temporary snapshot on top of one or two other temp snapshots.

I think the best practice is to take a snapshot and then "delete all" snapshots. Is this true?

After doing this I'm running into people who are complaining about DC issues, or their computer account kerberos is no longer communicating with the dc server.

Yep. You got it.

That being said, it's strongly recommended ~not~ to back up DCs. The DBs don't take kindly to restores, so...

Yep. You got it.

That being said, it's strongly recommended ~not~ to back up DCs. The DBs don't take kindly to restores, so...

I disagree. While I would probably never do a full restore of a DC, the granular recovery options with Veeam is a nice feature.

As for the snapshots being left, there is probably another issue you may not be seeing that is causing that problem. I had this issue quite a bit with Veeam 7 when VMs were running on a slow NetApp and 1Gb network. Switching to better/faster storage and networking solved all of the backup issues.

What are you looking to restore off of a DC with granular recovery (honest question)? At least all the ones I've built, that's their sole function - and the backup is another DC elsewhere in the environment. Nothing else on there but the DC itself to restore...?

What are you looking to restore off of a DC with granular recovery (honest question)? At least all the ones I've built, that's their sole function - and the backup is another DC elsewhere in the environment. Nothing else on there but the DC itself to restore...?

You would be surprised what people accidentally delete. Here are some items to restore.

• Instantly recover individual Active Directory objects or entire organizational units (OUs) and their attributes from a single-pass image-level backup
  • Recover lost user and computer accounts along with their passwords to avoid business disruptions
  • Restore Group Policy Objects (GPOs), Active Directory-integrated Microsoft DNS records and Configuration Partition objects
  • Effortlessly perform a 1-click compare between backed up and production Active Directory states at both the object and object attribute level to easily identify differences and revert older changes or accidental deletions back into production directory
  • Easily browse Active Directory databases in VM disks located on storage snapshots for Active Directory objects and attributes, including plain text and advanced LDAP filter-based search capabilities
  • Export Active Directory objects and user attributes from a backup into LDIFDE format or complete an Active Directory object restore directly back into the production Active Directory database (.DIT)

Back