• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

DC Input ATX Power Supplies

VRT

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 15, 2016
Messages
460
I am looking for some recommendations from people with actual experience with 12VDC, 24VDC or 48VDC input ATX power supplies. I would prefer either 12VDC or 48VDC the supplier that we have used in the past gave me a lead time of 8 weeks for ten of these, I need something reliable and in the 500-750 watt range.

TIA
 
I think you'd get a whole shitload more views for this thread if you change the title to "Who here has used a PICOPSU.

It's the only 12vDC->ATX PSU most people here have ever bothered with.
 
I don't think I've ever seen a commercial PICO PSU with that kind of rating...500-750W is pretty damn high, and I'd imagine you'd need to be looking at something fairly unique.
 
What's stopping you from using an inverter to power things?

Just buy a quality PSU, and plug each one into an inverter.

Just form randomly browsing the prices on some of these sites with DC-DC PSUs in that range, they're all several hundred dollars for an unknown level of quality.

But if you go AC PSU, your options ago up AND costs come down (inverter plus PSU is under $200).
 
What's stopping you from using an inverter to power things?

Just buy a quality PSU, and plug each one into an inverter.

Just form randomly browsing the prices on some of these sites with DC-DC PSUs in that range, they're all several hundred dollars for an unknown level of quality.

But if you go AC PSU, your options ago up AND costs come down (inverter plus PSU is under $200).

The reason for not using an inverter and standard PSU is efficiency of the power supply and extra equipment in a 48VDC rack already.
 
The reason for not using an inverter and standard PSU is efficiency of the power supply and extra equipment in a 48VDC rack already.

Thought so.

If you're doing this in a DC-only data center, then you're going to have to brave your own path. Those are pretty new, so you'll have to pay the premium for the PSUs, and you're going to have to figure out the best source on your own.

LEt us know what you end-up going with.

I'd try to keep it 48v, if efficiency is your goal. A higher line voltage means lower resistive losses in the power lines.
 
Back
Top