DC Commando Give Away!

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
I am giving away a Diamond 6950 1 GB video card. All you have to do is run BOINC under the [H]ard|OCP banner from 15 Nov 2011 to 15 December 2011 and contribute 100k points to the project yoyo@home. Post your BOINC name in the contest thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1037974873#post1037974873
Points must be contribute between 15 Nov and 15 Dec. Points prior to that are not acceptable.

There is no entry deadline. You do not have to be active the entire time as long as you meet the requirement of 100K points between 15 Nov and 15 Dec.

There will be a drawing of one name after the contest concludes and that person wins the video card if they meet the requirements stated above.

I will take a screenshot of all team members on 14 Nov with their points.

Post questions in this thread.

Will ship for free to entries from lower 48 states. All others must pay shipping.

Last edited:
This project does a few things and you can pick which you want to run. Mainly, we are trying to break into the TOP 5 of all team in DC-Vault of which this project is one of many.

Harmonious Trees
Graham and Sloane proposed in 1980 a conjecture stating that every tree has a harmonious labelling, a graph labelling closely related to additive base. We do a computational approach to this conjecture by checking trees with limited size.

ECM is a program for Elliptic Curve Factorization which is used by a couple of projects to find factors for different kind of numbers.

Muon simulates and designs parts of a particle accelerator. You are simulating the part of the process where the proton beam hits the target rod and causes pions to be emitted, which decay into muons.

evolution@home represents the first and so far only distributed computing project addressing evolutionary research. It simulates different types of populations and focuses on the analysis of human mitochondrial DNA. Read the original Evolution@home website for more information.

the distributed.net client and runs OGR work units. This project searches for the shortest Optimal Golumb Ruler of the length 27.

I really like this idea. I just want to clarify something though. Do you need 100k points in that span alone (aka someone start now or already has points) or just 100k points total by December 15?

You have to have 100K points generated between 15 Nov and 15 Dec,. Prior points do not count.

I really like this idea. I just want to clarify something though. Do you need 100k points in that span alone (aka someone start now or already has points) or just 100k points total by December 15?
I've read it as 100K points between Nov. 15 and Dec. 15th.

I might try to do this but several video games coming out around that time... :eek:

I've read it as 100K points between Nov. 15 and Dec. 15th.

I might try to do this but several video games coming out around that time... :eek:

100K points would be easy with an i7 9xx class proc even playing games during that time. I wanted to make this easy, but help DC commando team.

100K points would be easy with an i7 9xx class proc even playing games during that time. I wanted to make this easy, but help DC commando team.
You are right, why did I think yoyo was GPU based.. I know better. *facepalm*

I have a few systems running WCG that I could switch over for this, but they are only getting around 1k ppd according to hardfolding. I know that the scores for WCG are kind of messed up, being roughly 1/7th of the points from WCG's website. If I switch this over to yoyo, do you think I could make 100k in a month? Basically, would that translate to 7k in another BOINC project? Thanks

Thats great DooKey! Love that idea!
I unfortunately will be stuck on SoB for the remainder of the year but good luck to all that participate.

My i7-2600k at 4.7GHz running 6/8 threads is getting about 8kppd while im using it to play and host a minecraft server. I have a 100% dedicated Q6600 at 2.8Ghz hasnt turned in any units yet, but i'd guess upwards of 3k ppd.

Shouldnt be terribly hard to manage 100k in 30 days.

I am completely unfamiliar with this project and the point structure. Is there an easy breakdown to bring a F@H junkie up to speed? Does this run on CPU's and GPU's? Is there a quick return bonus for high end hardware? Etc, etc.

the distributed.net client and runs OGR work units. This project searches for the shortest Optimal Golumb Ruler of the length 27.

Does running the native client also count ? I got about 350 installations of that running already ;)

I am completely unfamiliar with this project and the point structure. Is there an easy breakdown to bring a F@H junkie up to speed? Does this run on CPU's and GPU's? Is there a quick return bonus for high end hardware? Etc, etc.

The way most BOINC (including yoyo)projects run is each WU is given a single thread of the processor. From there it depends on the project if there are Bonus's for the speed of the completed WU. I am not sure how yoyo does in this regard.

The effect this has is the scaling is much more linear than F@H with some of the BigAdv/SMP projects. This project has no GPU support but other projects do. (Milkyway@Home, Collatz, etc.) The interesting thing about GPU projects are some actually are much faster with AMD cards like the two I listed; and then other likes GPUGrid are much better with nVidia.

The interesting thing about yoyo is it is actually many small projects in one. Some projects have a very short run time of a few hours and others are longer at a few days, and you can select which projects you want to run.

What is really nice about the BOINC manager is that you can actually run multiple projects with relative ease. So say I wanted 2 threads to WCG and 6 to yoyo. Very easy to do and works just as well in Windows/Linux. What most of the Commandos do is just switch projects around constantly because it is so easy to do.

I have a few systems running WCG that I could switch over for this, but they are only getting around 1k ppd according to hardfolding. I know that the scores for WCG are kind of messed up, being roughly 1/7th of the points from WCG's website. If I switch this over to yoyo, do you think I could make 100k in a month? Basically, would that translate to 7k in another BOINC project? Thanks

I'm doing about 1M a month in yoyo with 3 2600Ks and 1 i7 laptop. A person with a moderately OC'd i7 should be able to do well over 100K in a month.

The way most BOINC (including yoyo)projects run is each WU is given a single thread of the processor. From there it depends on the project if there are Bonus's for the speed of the completed WU. I am not sure how yoyo does in this regard.

The effect this has is the scaling is much more linear than F@H with some of the BigAdv/SMP projects. This project has no GPU support but other projects do. (Milkyway@Home, Collatz, etc.) The interesting thing about GPU projects are some actually are much faster with AMD cards like the two I listed; and then other likes GPUGrid are much better with nVidia.

The interesting thing about yoyo is it is actually many small projects in one. Some projects have a very short run time of a few hours and others are longer at a few days, and you can select which projects you want to run.

What is really nice about the BOINC manager is that you can actually run multiple projects with relative ease. So say I wanted 2 threads to WCG and 6 to yoyo. Very easy to do and works just as well in Windows/Linux. What most of the Commandos do is just switch projects around constantly because it is so easy to do.
Thanks, I may give this a shot on one of my 2600k's. I tend to gravitate towards projects with grand ambitions and evolution @ home sounds like the yoyo work for me.

Very cool giveaway DooKey! This is a great idea, thanks for helping to bring awareness to the yoyo project!

Is there any tracker for this thing? Like to let me know how many points I'm getting so I can keep track? Or do I have to go on yoyo's page to find out?

Edit: Also why does it say there are like 6 different tasks running in this thing?

Last edited:
Does running the native client also count ? I got about 350 installations of that running already ;)

I'm trying to get a good push in yoyo@home with this contest so you must run the OGR app from within yoyo to get credit for the contest.

I'm confused on how these accounts work. DooKey on your user page on Yoyo it shows other projects you are involved in ex. PrimeGrid. I already have an account at PrimeGrid from 2009. That login won't work on Yoyo. Is there a global account that I'm missing?

I'm confused on how these accounts work. DooKey on your user page on Yoyo it shows other projects you are involved in ex. PrimeGrid. I already have an account at PrimeGrid from 2009. That login won't work on Yoyo. Is there a global account that I'm missing?

The way the free dc stats page works is it pulls whatever projects are tied to that particular user ID. You need to setup a new Yoyo account as you don't have an account tied to that particular project. Whether or not you use the account you used for primegrid is completely up to you. So if you have the same ID you will get both primegrid and yoyo showing up on the free dc stats page. If you use a different ID for yoyo than primegrid they will not show up together.

Bottom Line: Create a new Yoyo account and use the same user ID name you have for Primegrid and all your stats are in one place.

The way the free dc stats page works is it pulls whatever projects are tied to that particular user ID. You need to setup a new Yoyo account as you don't have an account tied to that particular project. Whether or not you use the account you used for primegrid is completely up to you. So if you have the same ID you will get both primegrid and yoyo showing up on the free dc stats page. If you use a different ID for yoyo than primegrid they will not show up together.

Bottom Line: Create a new Yoyo account and use the same user ID name you have for Primegrid and all your stats are in one place.

^This^

Every BOINC project is a unique project and needs its own account. BOINC is the program that ties them all together in a simple package.

Alright I used my same email, and on the Yoyo@Home account page I used the same nickname.

I'm confused as to why I still have no points....how long do each of these things usually take? I'm currently at work so I can't check up on my machine. Also is there a way to make this thing work all the time? Mine auto pauses when I start using my PC. Sorry for all the noobish questions, but I'm going to run this on my main PC and keep folding on my HTPC, and I want to get the most out of what I have.

Yoyo only updates a couple of times a day. Some others update more often, it's just a project dependent thing.

I'm confused as to why I still have no points....how long do each of these things usually take? I'm currently at work so I can't check up on my machine. Also is there a way to make this thing work all the time? Mine auto pauses when I start using my PC. Sorry for all the noobish questions, but I'm going to run this on my main PC and keep folding on my HTPC, and I want to get the most out of what I have.

The default is to not do work when you are using the PC. I changed mine by clicking "Tools" on the top bar, then "Computing Preferences", then check "While Computer In Use".

Another reason you may not see points yet is that many of these "WUs" are 8+ hours of crunching. I currently have 3 or 4 running on my 2600k that are ticking past 12 hours of run time now. Not increadibly long by folding standards, but fairly long for BOINC (and then you have to wait for the update on free-dc).

Edit:
I also wanted to give a heads up to people if youre watching your BOINC manager that it's not unusual for a few of the Evolution units to run over 100% completion. I just let it run through and they seem to finish and submit just fine. Harmonious trees also likes to sit at 0% completion for hours and hours before it is finished, again if you leave it alone it completes and seems to submit. Maybe DooKey has more insight as to why or if they're really working or not!

Last edited:
Another reason you may not see points yet is that many of these "WUs" are 8+ hours of crunching. I currently have 3 or 4 running on my 2600k that are ticking past 12 hours of run time now. Not increadibly long by folding standards, but fairly long for BOINC (and then you have to wait for the update on free-dc).

Edit:
I also wanted to give a heads up to people if youre watching your BOINC manager that it's not unusual for a few of the Evolution units to run over 100% completion. I just let it run through and they seem to finish and submit just fine. Harmonious trees also likes to sit at 0% completion for hours and hours before it is finished, again if you leave it alone it completes and seems to submit. Maybe DooKey has more insight as to why or if they're really working or not!

You're correct, those units do go long sometimes, but they do count. If you are worried about those projects you can turn them off. I personally run muon and evo.

An incredibly generous initiative DooKey :cool:

Is there any tracker for this thing? Like to let me know how many points I'm getting so I can keep track? Or do I have to go on yoyo's page to find out?

You can also use BoincTasks to track activity across several PCs. There's a tab that gives you total points per project and per PC for the project(s) you're currently crunching.

I figured id let my octo run see what I can do...

Thanks for the info on how to change user name shown...
I do Boinc under the same name as I fold... Eagle07

Moved my 2600k over to this project since I'm not seeing any BigADV in F@H atm.

I'm seriously considering dumpng FAH and moving the rigs in sig to BOINC, but I haven't decided yet.

Back