Dayton 100w subwoofer pics?

so_cal_forever

[H]ard|Gawd
Is there anyone who has teh 100w Dayton subwoofer that could snap a pic of the back (amplifier) for me? I'd like to see if it has binding posts for speakers such as this sub has:

302-636ii.jpg

Well, from reading the hookup section of the manual found here, I would say that it does.

So that's what high-level speaker inputs/outputs means? Damn I'm such a newb to this. :eek:

Thanks for the info, man.

That means it has exactly what you are asking about....
You connect the speaker output from your amp/receiver to the high level inputs on the sub and then connect the speakers to the high level output.
The sub takes the high level input reduces it to a line level signal, sums it, filters it, amplifies it and then feeds it to the driver in the cabinet.
Can you see why you would want to avoid connecting it like this?

Mister X said:
That means it has exactly what you are asking about....
You connect the speaker output from your amp/receiver to the high level inputs on the sub and then connect the speakers to the high level output.
The sub takes the high level input reduces it to a line level signal, sums it, filters it, amplifies it and then feeds it to the driver in the cabinet.
Can you see why you would want to avoid connecting it like this?

So you're still partial to connecting the sub to the tape inputs? That would just involve buying a good subwoofer cable, correct?

Some receivers don't have a sub out, or a line level output that could be used.

JTY said:
Some receivers don't have a sub out, or a line level output that could be used.

Bingo. I'm using an older Yamaha RX-300U stereo reciever which has no RCA input for the subwoofer. It was suggested earlier that I use the tape inputs given I was using a sub with an adjustable crossover frequency, but I'd just like to hear more info on this.

so_cal_forever said:
So you're still partial to connecting the sub to the tape inputs?
Isn't that a given? :p

so_cal_forever said:
That would just involve buying a good subwoofer cable, correct?

Only if you can tell me what the differance between a sheilded RCA patch cable and a "good subwoofer cable" is . ;)

What is all that crap?
What crap?
My crap?
Or the whole connect the speakers to the sub crap?
There are a few advantages to connecting a sub like that....An example is you don't run into signal degridation issues when the sub is more then 8 feet from the source like you do with line level cables.

so_cal_forever said:
It was suggested earlier that I use the tape inputs given I was using a sub with an adjustable crossover frequency, but I'd just like to hear more info on this.
Can you show me a single active sub in your price range that doesn't have a adjustable crossover?
I can't find one... of course I didn't look very hard either. ;)

BTW... can you see why it may have been a good idea to simply add this as a new post to your original thread?
You would not have to explain everything that was posted in that thread again :D

It's good to have the high pass filter (crossover) uptream of the speakers. This way they only get signal that they are most effective at reproducing, and the woofers will have less distortion than if they were asked to play the whole frequency range.

The new SVS PB10-ISD has no crossover to speak of, as it only has one connection (an RCA input) on the back.

Mister X said:
Can you show me a single active sub in your price range that doesn't have a adjustable crossover?
I can't find one... of course I didn't look very hard either. ;)

Oh no! I dont doubt what you're saying. What it boils down to is:

Am I buying this subwoofer, (which I am... lol)

taking a cable such as this

and connecting it to my "Tape PB" inputs on the back of my reciever, correct? And anything past that?

The new SVS PB10-ISD has no crossover to speak of, as it only has one connection (an RCA input) on the back.

Price = 429$
Thank you for demonstrating my point. ;)

You will get better results by using the speaker-level input/output connections.

BWAHAHAHA! Sure, and I bet you visited mars last night in your tilt-a-whirl space ship? NICE!

GodsMadClown said:
It's good to have the high pass filter (crossover) uptream of the speakers. This way they only get signal that they are most effective at reproducing, and the woofers will have less distortion than if they were asked to play the whole frequency range.

GodsMadClown said:
You will get better results by using the speaker-level input/output connections.

I'm confused...

It goes something like this...

Receiver/Amplifier -> speaker wire -> subwoofer speaker level input -> High-pass filter/crossover -> subwoofer speaker level output -> speaker wire -> speaker.

This way, the speakers get the frequencies above the crossover setting. The speaker will have better power handling and less distortion on the woofer cone.

GodsMadClown said:
It goes something like this...

Receiver/Amplifier -> speaker wire -> subwoofer speaker level input -> High-pass filter/crossover -> subwoofer speaker level output -> speaker wire -> speaker.

This way, the speakers get the frequencies above the crossover setting. The speaker will have better power handling and less distortion on the woofer cone.

So it's cleaner and more accurate than the tape method? Does connecting via the tape inputs have any advantages over the binding posts?

Thos aren't binding posts on the back of that Dayton Sub. Those things for speaker wire are spring terminals.

You could try both, but the owners of two of the more well known internet-only speaker companies (MLS and David Fabrikant) reccommend feeding thier speakers a signal where the low frequencies have been routed to a subwoofer. I don't think it's because they like selling extra speaker wire.

I suppose the advantage for the tape loop method is simplicity.

if a reciver has a sub output is it better to use the sub out put of the stereo level inputs on the sub?

Back