Daylight Saving Time Is Hot Garbage

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I’ll just post this as a reminder for those of you who need to move their clocks ahead tomorrow.

Proponents of DST will tell you that it saves energy. This is because a study in the 1970s found a 1 percent benefit to energy use in Daylight Saving Time. You may notice, though, that the 1970s are now 40 years ago, and energy consumption has changed somewhat in the interim. More recent research shows no difference in energy usage in places where it doesn't go into effect, compared to places observing DST. A few studies suggest Daylight Saving Time actually means more energy is used, rather than less.

I like DST. Up in Canada I'd rather it started getting daylight at 4am instead of 3am in June.

Daylight Shifting Time or Daylight Stupid Time.

Doesn't save money or electricity IRL, only screws people's brains and productivity. It is pointless and should go away. But like most things, Congress can't be bothered to do something virtually everyone agrees on.

I like DST. If I work during the spring, I get paid more one day.
Plus, I save energy, since there's effectively only 23 hours in that day.

SO NYAH!

(Kidding!)

Blah blah blah, recycling the same articles to run every year. Same shit every time.

Blah blah blah, recycling the same articles to run every year. Same shit every time.

Best day to work overtime of the year though! 7 hours instead of 8, but get the full 8! WOOT! Well if you work 11-7am anyway...lol...

I'm all for getting rid of it. It's just stupid having to go through with changing clocks twice a year for nothing.

YeahNO!
It'd become a GIANT reporting PITA for international companies and those that do business internationally.
Why? India's time zone is GMT +5.5 (note I realize any change requires s/w changes, but I can recall changes almost every month for a year or 2 to DST in windows patches.

YeahNO!

It'd become a GIANT reporting PITA for international companies and those that do business internationally.

I work for an international company and we base everything on UTC unless otherwise specified.

YeahNO!

As opposed to what we have now, which is OH SO convenient and easily remembered for international teleconferencing?

Never cared for the time change. After the change in October the days seem to drag endlessly. After the change in March the days seem to go too quickly. I'm all for making it a thing of the past. As for the saving energy part, I agree that things are radically different now than decades past. My first TV was a black & white Zenith, fucking energy hog compared to what's in an electronics store today. Every single appliance in this house is certified energy saving. The energy companies adjust the rates to compensate so they keep rolling in the dough. In my experience getting people up an hour earlier to drive distances to work increases the likelihood of something disastrous happening.

DST is fine, regular time is crap. it'd be best if we stayed with DST all year long. At least at the longitude where I live.

In the past I didn't care for DST. Since becoming a road cyclist I've come to love it. Starting this week I'll be able to come home after work and get a ride in on a weeknight. On normal time I just don't have the daylight to get a ride in.

I know there are energy aspects to when we use DST, but I'm pretty sure that DST started because in the northern part of the country (and probably all of Europe too), if you don't do that, it'd be dark until 8:30 AM, which I suspect is an issue for schools. Even in the south (FL not withstanding), it wouldn't rise until almost 8 AM in December.

As opposed to what we have now, which is OH SO convenient and easily remembered for international teleconferencing?

Except that the switch Summer Time in Europe does not coincide with the ST/DST switch in North America. They switch on the last Sunday of March and the last Sunday of October.

I know there are energy aspects to when we use DST, but I'm pretty sure that DST started because in the northern part of the country (and probably all of Europe too), if you don't do that, it'd be dark until 8:30 AM, which I suspect is an issue for schools. Even in the south (FL not withstanding), it wouldn't rise until almost 8 AM in December.
It has been proved that there is zero energy aspect aspect to the switch to DST. In fact, it has been proved we use more energy on DST than if we were not on DST.

The only "energy aspects" are that the people who first theorized the idea only had a theory about saving electricity in war time.

IRL, especially 20th and 21st century life with 24/7 electric lighting and air conditioning and heating....there's at most 1-2% savings of energy even under the most optimistic assumption scenarios, and that is assuming the best case scenario. IRL DST more likely saves no energy or actually costs more in energy. Further the billions lost in productivity in/around clock changes far overwhelm any theoretical at best energy savings.

DST needs to go the way off feet and inches in the rest of the world already.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Except that the switch Summer Time in Europe does not coincide with the ST/DST switch in North America. They switch on the last Sunday of March and the last Sunday of October.

IKR.

Try having a teleconference between Australia, London, and the American Southwest. Depending on which part of that neck of the woods you are in a half dozen different time alignment possibilities.

It has been proved that there is zero energy aspect aspect to the switch to DST. In fact, it has been proved we use more energy on DST than if we were not on DST.
Which is irrelevant to the fact that that is why the dates are what they are...see when Bush changed them roughly 10 years ago. The main point was even if nobody thought there was an impact, DST would still exist.

to me they should do it in reverse so we have more day light than less in the evening assuming they need to do it at all. especially in the winter.

I just stay on Amish time so no change. Start work at day break finish work and sunset.

Say what you want, I wish we could make DST all year around. I love having daylight until 8:30-9:00 PM, gives more time for outdoors stuff after work, etc...

They just need to shift the timezones permanently one to the east. So Eastern becomes Atlantic, Central becomes Eastern, etc. Not the names but the effective times of day. Then they can do away with DST and all will be well.

I wish they would just make DST continuous and never go off of it.

During the summer, it means that it stays light an hour later after I get home in the evenings -- which is convenient for yard work like mowing, etc (or for Bar-B-Q's, people swimming, etc).
This is also good for kids who work at summer jobs doing mowing and such.

If they left it in the winter months, it would mean that the commute home from work was usually in daylight rather than after dark.

As far as the morning goes, with the exception of a few weeks right before the DST switch and right around June 21st, it's typically dark when most people go to work anyway.
And as far as sending kids to school goes, the local elementaries and middles have classes starting at 7:30 am, so the kids are standing out waiting on the bus anywhere from 6:15am-7:00am anyway, and, since they don't go in summer anyway, it's pretty much always going to be dark when they are waiting on the bus anyway.

I wish it would stay on the spring forward time. I love the extra hour of sunlight in the afternoons / evenings. It means more garage time, more light to mow, water, weed, etc in spring/summer/fall and more time to shovel in the winter. Fall back time makes the days drag. I could care less about having sun in the morning when I am headed to work, because I am working inside and can not enjoy it.

What's Daylight Savings?

I'm from Arizona...
Daylight Savings is a mispronounced/typed way that most people use for Daylight Saving

That said, blah blah blah, someone is going to like it for the summer aspect, someone is going to like having daylight when they get home from work, lets ignore the fact that noon is when the Sun is highest in the sky (or on average due to time zones). Only upside for me is that me getting off of work at 10pm will feel like 9pm so I'll be less tired when I get home.

No DST here in Hawaii. The sun always seems to rise at around 6 am and set at around 6 pm all year round.

I'm for getting rid of the spring forward fall back laws though out the country...

Just seems like congress isn't , doesn't want to join the mass majority of people

I'm for getting rid of the spring forward fall back laws though out the country...

Just seems like congress isn't , doesn't want to join the mass majority of people
I think each state can opt out or in... What congress does define is the date when to do the time change.

I wish it would stay on the spring forward time. I love the extra hour of sunlight in the afternoons / evenings. It means more garage time, more light to mow, water, weed, etc in spring/summer/fall and more time to shovel in the winter. Fall back time makes the days drag. I could care less about having sun in the morning when I am headed to work, because I am working inside and can not enjoy it.

Agreed totally. Although I don't work there anymore, for 10 years, when I used to work at Philips, I'd typically go into work well before 8 and typically not leave til around 5:30 or 6. And engineers worked on the 1st or 2nd floor of a long block shaped building with no windows except for the along the edge, where management and such had offices. We were stuck in the middle of the building without them. And that was the 2nd floor, the 1st was essentially the basement, which had no windows at all except in the cafeteria. So, from mid-November til January, it'd be dark when I got to work and dark when I left. Unless we went out for lunch, I generally wouldn't even see the sun except on weekends! An extra hour of daylight in the evenings would have been much appreciated.

Keeping DST during the winter makes just as much sense as it does during the summer!
Quit changing the times and just make it permanent!

What's Daylight Savings?

I'm from Arizona...

Which part of Arizona?

The Navajo nation lands inside AZ do DST. But the Hopi lands inside the Navajo inside AZ do not. Crossing 1/4 of land inside the AZ boundary on a straight line would technically necessitate 6 or 8 time changes.

Back