Daylight Saving Time Ends Tonight

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Just a PSA heads up tonight to set your clocks back one hour to gain that hour we lost last spring. The writer quoted is obviously a hard core opponent of Daylight Saving Time, but raises some really valid points for scrapping the entire procedure. Feelings notwithstanding, the whole point is Fall back tonight so you can Spring forward next March. :cool:

"God, I love getting up an hour earlier," said no one ever. "Me too. I can't wait to have my schedule messed up in the fall," no one replied.

I'm with Arizona, DST is lame.

Are politicians so smug that they believe they can actually alter the rotation of the earth by adjusting your clock?

Thank god, I HATE DST. While yeah the whole 9pm still light outside in July bit is kind of nice, there is no reason to have the switch, days start getting longer so some decides you should have longer nights.

I'm with Arizona, DST is lame.

Are politicians so smug that they believe they can actually alter the rotation of the earth by adjusting your clock?

smoke and mirrors...by changing the clocks you are altering the time it gets dark, thereby altering when people start to turn on their lights...therefore bingo!...if it gets darker later then people will save that much electricity

smoke and mirrors...by changing the clocks you are altering the time it gets dark, thereby altering when people start to turn on their lights...therefore bingo!...if it gets darker later then people will save that much electricity

Yeah except many people (most??) use lighting that is vastly more efficient to incandescent bulbs so already are saving a shit ton of electricity by using CFLs and LEDs, however they are no longer saving as much money by making it darker later.

Yeah except many people (most??) use lighting that is vastly more efficient to incandescent bulbs so already are saving a shit ton of electricity by using CFLs and LEDs, however they are no longer saving as much money by making it darker later.
More importantly, the alterations of the clock don't automatically result in alterations of behavior anyway. I read a study last year demonstrating that people struggle quite a bit with DST time changes, especially in terms of their sleep patterns. This shouldn't be surprising given the commonly discussed phenomenon of "jet lag."

Being slaves to the numbers on clocks isn't doing any of us any good, and changing those numbers twice a year makes things worse.

More importantly, the alterations of the clock don't automatically result in alterations of behavior anyway. I read a study last year demonstrating that people struggle quite a bit with DST time changes, especially in terms of their sleep patterns. This shouldn't be surprising given the commonly discussed phenomenon of "jet lag."

Being slaves to the numbers on clocks isn't doing any of us any good, and changing those numbers twice a year makes things worse.

Yeah, I sleep when I feel tired, what makes me feel tired if I didn't do a bunch that day is how dark it is outside. I feel strange as all fuck on some days when I genuinely feel really tired and go to bed at 9pm and it's still light outside

sleep patterns aren't affected at all...people don't go to sleep at 4:00 PM or 5:00 PM...the DST changes only affect how soon it gets dark at night and how soon it gets light in the morning...when it's dark outside people turn on more lights

No, DST changes nothing. Example, Zulu time isn't altered, hence time did not change.

Now, if I awake in the dark, and leave work in the dark, how does DST have any power effects?

Peak electrical use is never affected by DST since it occurs in the middle of the day.

I never got that "extra" hour of sleep thing. I just seem to be awake an hour earlier that every one else in the house.

If you use an iOS device, don't rely on its alarm clock tomorrow. It most likely will not change correctly tonight.

sleep patterns aren't affected at all...people don't go to sleep at 4:00 PM or 5:00 PM...the DST changes only affect how soon it gets dark at night and how soon it gets light in the morning...when it's dark outside people turn on more lights
That's an excellent point, because its not like DST would affect when people wake up...

They should get rid of DST. It's pointless. I could care less if it's dark or not, light time I checked we have these things called "lights". :D

I'd like DST to disappear as well, but it would be more convenient for people that work long hours to have at least "some" daylight left when they get home. I usually end up working 8am to 7-7:30pm during the week, so having at least an hour of light after I get home really helps to get things done around the house during the week instead of only having the weekend to get outdoor housework done.

I love DLS. In the fall. Spring time it can die in a fire.

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

That's simply not true. It's not a matter of how dark or light it is when someone goes to sleep, it's how it affects their entire schedule. For example, let's say you wake up to get ready for work every weekday at 6:30 a.m. On Monday, you're still going to get up at 6:30 a.m., except it's not the same time you've been getting up since the change to DST. That change is what requires significant adjustment, not the amount of light present at a particular time.

That's simply not true. It's not a matter of how dark or light it is when someone goes to sleep, it's how it affects their entire schedule. For example, let's say you wake up to get ready for work every weekday at 6:30 a.m. On Monday, you're still going to get up at 6:30 a.m., except it's not the same time you've been getting up since the change to DST. That change is what requires significant adjustment, not the amount of light present at a particular time.

you're still getting up at the same time...you can just go to sleep an hour earlier/later to compensate...but most people don't need to compensate for 1 hour...it's not the same as jet lag

I think it should be dls time year round. I'd rather it be dark when I drive to work, rather than when I drive home.

I love DLS. In the fall. Spring time it can die in a fire.

Agree. I just set my clocks back 1hr in both spring & fall.. it's like frickin time travel! :D

Now if only they could make a damn 28-hour per day / 6-day week, then I'd finally have a natural sleep/wake cycle. Don't really care when it's dark or light out.

Here in Queensland we have no DST. And I'd have it back because sunup at 4am is a constant annoyance vs the two occasions you adjust the bodyclock at fall and spring. Its also annoying because we are an hour out of kilter with other states on our longitude that DO use DST - for banks particularly among others....

Try it without by all means, but don't be shocked if people ask for it back....after all that's the case here. Govt is sticking with AEST and not budging, but support has shifted over time.

QFT! It's cool not having to worry about changing clocks here.

Yeah, I wish I was you guys, I spend so much time worrying about this I've probably .... wait no, I don't worry at all about it. It's just something that happens occasionally.

Yeah, I wish I was you guys, I spend so much time worrying about this I've probably .... wait no, I don't worry at all about it. It's just something that happens occasionally.

Especially since these days pretty much every time keeping device I have automatically adjusts itself, all except the clock in my car, which I just leave an hour out for part of the year, lol.

Because going through this crap year after year (and the countless man hours wasted on coding for it) is so much better than simply altering your schedule as needed. :rolleyes:

We should just get rid of DST. Apple can't even handle it remember?

Everyone I've ever talked to hates it... and I agree it should be GONE.

Pick a time and stick with it. So what if I got to "sleep an extra hour" -- I wake up at 330am for work, and leave the house by 4am, there are absolutely zero savings going on energy wise in my house.

The infinite wisdom of the government though -- "let's screw up hundreds of millions of peoples established sleep patterns, just so we can say we tried to save a few dollars in electricity.

Factor in the millions that will be late or early, and the physical discomfort caused to many... it's not worth it. But what do I know about my own sleep patterns? or my ability to choose my own heathcare options... I'm just a stupid american and have to have the government tell me what's best for me.

(sitting at work at 5am on a Sunday -- even more pissed than normal because my sleep cycle got screwed with)

Dear DST,

Thank you for ruining my sleep. I was up for 3 hours this evening, because having two 1 ams this morning broke some shit on my work's servers. :( (Yes, it probably should have been avoided... but I'm sure I'm not the only one)

Honestly, I love DST, I hate getting off work in the dark at 5:00 PM.

Dear DST,

Thank you for ruining my sleep. I was up for 3 hours this evening, because having two 1 ams this morning broke some shit on my work's servers. :( (Yes, it probably should have been avoided... but I'm sure I'm not the only one)

No, you're not the only one.

you're still getting up at the same time...you can just go to sleep an hour earlier/later to compensate...but most people don't need to compensate for 1 hour...it's not the same as jet lag
I envy you and your ability to just fall asleep whenever you want.

Me unfortunately I have a natural clock in me so I don't need an alarm clock to wake me up, I'll get up at 6am every morning, not because I have to get up at that time, or that I want to get up, but I just get up that time. Now my 6am is 5am, and while it's the same light outside and my body feels fine initially, it throws off the schedule for the rest of the day because I should be going to work at a certain time, I should get off work at a certain time, luckily this time change is good for the ol' morning poop (the other switch screws me up I'll be at work when my body tells me it's time to drop a deuce). I will get used to the switch in maybe a week or so, but that doesn't mean it feels any better adjusting to the time switch.

Get rid of DST, there is no need for it. The world does not operate on the 9-5 schedule anymore, if it did, "evening" commute traffic wouldn't start at 2:30pm. Yeah there are people who like sunlight after work, but quite frankly who cares DST was not put into place so they can enjoy some sunlight hours after work because they happen to decide to work later than most.

Yeah there are people who like sunlight after work, but quite frankly who cares DST was not put into place so they can enjoy some sunlight hours after work because they happen to decide to work later than most.

the days normally get less daylight during late Fall/Winter in the Northern Hemisphere regardless of Daylight Savings...DST just tries to compensate a bit for it

ARGGGGHHH!!! If you do not even own a clock, there is the same amount of daylight on July 1 as there is if you DO own a clock.

Back