Daughter Peed on Headset-Need help

paco16

Limp Gawd
My daughter (terrible 2 year old) decided in her infinite wisdom that she would pee on my Turtle Beach HPA2's. They obviously stopped working which kind of sucks because I loved this headset! :(
Regardless the more I read about people's opinions of 5.1 surround sound headsets the more I'm discouraged... Are 5.1 headsets still just a 'gimmick', or has the technology gotten any better? Sound waves/quantum physics apparently doesn't help the 'surround' situation any from what I've read... I'm just wondering if I shouldn't focus on a nice stereo set instead.
I use my headset for mostly gaming. Directional cues are a must.
I do like to watch DVD's and listen to music, but that's typically on a decent Logitech 2.1 setup.
Are there any headsets that are actually Dolby Digital certified? Any headsets that connect via the optical port? Should I not care about either of these and just buy a decent stereo headset?

Anything under $80 would be sufficient so I think my budget will be more than ok for a high-end stereo headset with a mic.

I'm a big fan of Seinheiser and Plantronics... and even Turtle Beach.
I will never buy a Medusa headset again... Their RMA process is painful at best and their headsets just seem chintzy.

Thanks in advance!

first of all, lol... that's funny stuff (got lots of little nieces and nephews so I can relate)

with that said, I have a plantronics headset that I got from best buy (i think... it was some B&M store) and they sound great IMO not to mention they're very comfortable. Pretty sure they were only 30.00.... use them for gaming on a pretty regular basis. No complaints what so ever :) The audio quality is good and the mic. levels are just about perfect

edit, they're the plantronic 355's

Last edited:
I have tried the HPA2s before and any decent stereo headphone will beat it. Sound was OK at best and it was not very comfy due to the thin pads. For $80 you can get a AudioTechnica ATH-AD700 if you look around. At worst it is $97 at Buy.com.

Under $80, probably JVC HARX 700 or 900. They're not picky about amplification either. AD700 even better, and still no amp issues.

One of the problems is "interference," which is important for quantum but easy to see otherwise. Take a bath or a sink or whatever full of water. Make waves in it...then make waves from two sources. That's what "surround" headphones are doing.

Surround headphones have other problems too...instead of using all the space for one good driver, they're using a number of smaller drivers, and losing extra space due to the way they fit together. Additionally they are a very gimmicky product, so they tend to be priced high and engineered low - it's probably cheap crap and they're counting on the consumer not knowing better. Even if they make a legitimate attempt to do it well, the issues I mentioned still mean it's going to come out well behind a well done "one-driver one-ear" design.

I have tried the HPA2s before and any decent stereo headphone will beat it. Sound was OK at best and it was not very comfy due to the thin pads. For $80 you can get a AudioTechnica ATH-AD700 if you look around. At worst it is $97 at Buy.com.

I'm surprised you say the pads were too thin... I found just the opposite. The HPA2's are the most comfortable headset I've ever owned. They stick on your head, have a detachable mic, and sound decent.
I'll check out the AudioTechnia, thanks for the suggestions

does your headset look like a toilet?

Apparently my keyboard looked like one too. To be honest, the wife is potty-training her... with minimal supervision (don't worry, we've talked), so it's her opinion that they can walk around without a diaper. Turns out my daughter has watched too many action movies because she's clawing up onto my desk, knocking stuff down, and decided to pee on my Logitech G15 (the first revision)... She's the worst out of our 3 children. Sweetheart, but mischievous.

My girls are older now, but I remember those days.

I have no suggestions that have not already been given, but I had to stop in and give you props for one of the best subject titles I have read in a long time. Priceless, thank you. :)

I'm definitely not ready for kids at my age, but when I do have them, I'm going to make sure I have a room that I can lock all my electronics into (maybe I'll lock myself in there too).

I'm definitely not ready for kids at my age, but when I do have them, I'm going to make sure I have a room that I can lock all my electronics into (maybe I'll lock myself in there too).

Impossible... the fact that you think that's a possibility shows that you are in fact... not yet a parent. :)

Headset suggestions are still welcome.

My girls are older now, but I remember those days.

I have no suggestions that have not already been given, but I had to stop in and give you props for one of the best subject titles I have read in a long time. Priceless, thank you. :)

Kids tend to bring those types of things out. What's even more hilarious is, it all true. :eek:

ashmedai- So there's a 22+ page forum here where people are raving about the JVC Harx700's. For $38... I could be convinced fairly easily. Apparently after an audio-burn-in these headsets rival the AudioTechnica ATH-A900's. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Impossible... the fact that you think that's a possibility shows that you are in fact... not yet a parent. :)

Headset suggestions are still welcome.

I can almost understand that, as I had trouble keeping a curious kitten out of my computer area in the past. I'm guessing kids are 10 times more curious and persistent. Atleast kids don't chew on wires....right?!

I can almost understand that, as I had trouble keeping a curious kitten out of my computer area in the past. I'm guessing kids are 10 times more curious and persistent. Atleast kids don't chew on wires....right?!

Hehe... this is too good to answer completely. Umm... you'll see.:D

ashmedai- So there's a 22+ page forum here where people are raving about the JVC Harx700's. For $38... I could be convinced fairly easily. Apparently after an audio-burn-in these headsets rival the AudioTechnica ATH-A900's. Thoughts?

Well, the A700s. But for the price, it's very hard to argue against.

Ok, thanks for the help everyone! I just ordered the JVC Harx700's for $32 on Amazon as well as the Zalman Microphone Zm-Mic1. All for about $51 after shipping, (you know Amazon). Unfortunately newegg did not have the 700's in stock and didn't even carry the Zalman mic. So I did business elsewhere!

I'll let everyone know how they sound once I complete the 100 hour burn in.

look on the bright side, at least they were not on your head when she did it.....
and im a big fan of plantronics, they sound great and fit my huge head pretty well.

Be nicer to your daughter and she won't pee on your headphones. Just like dogs and cats. Piss them off and they will pee on your possessions. I remember a Fritz the Cat comic from many years back where Fritz was so pissed off at his owner that he shit in his headphones. Consider yourself lucky it was only pee.

i have some audiotechnica ath-a500s and love them for gaming. they are attached to an x-fi which helps with directional sounds. i can easily tell which direction sounds are coming from with these headphones. wouldnt trade them for anything. they made such a difference when i played FEAR multiplayer a couple years back. i am currently playing fallout 3 and they also work wonderfully. i have yet to find a game that didnt work well with these cans.

they are also very comfortable. you could sit with these things on your head all day unless its 85f+ in the room, then they get a little toasty. :)

the cord is also covered by a very durable woven fabric. ive taken these headpones to many lan parties and use them everyday.

you can purchase them at www.audiocubes.com for around $100. i got them for $90 w/shipping a few years back. sometimes they are on sale. i think amazon may sell them too.

ninja: crap, just saw u placed an order OP. :) n/m...

Ever hear of cages?

472430579_df4bda0258.jpg

I know the OP already ordered but just wanted to give out my 2c.

http://www.trittontechnologies.com/products/TRIGA611.htm
I own a pair of Tritton AXPro and couldn't be happier.
-Dolby Digital 5.1 (certified) AND Analog 5.1 input - Check!
-Detachable Microphone with 3.5 jack (PC) AND USB compatible output (PC / PS3 / Xbox) - Check!
-Time delay control for center and rear channel - Check!
-Replaceable earmuff covers (ship with both fake leather and foam) - Check!
-Independent volume for Front/Rear/Center/Sub with illuminated controls- Check!

And on top of all they sound great!

The day those fail I buy another pair ASAP. If they don't exist anymore I cry!

I know the OP already ordered but just wanted to give out my 2c.

http://www.trittontechnologies.com/products/TRIGA611.htm
I own a pair of Tritton AXPro and couldn't be happier.
-Dolby Digital 5.1 (certified) AND Analog 5.1 input - Check!
-Detachable Microphone with 3.5 jack (PC) AND USB compatible output (PC / PS3 / Xbox) - Check!
-Time delay control for center and rear channel - Check!
-Replaceable earmuff covers (ship with both fake leather and foam) - Check!
-Independent volume for Front/Rear/Center/Sub with illuminated controls- Check!

And on top of all they sound great!

The day those fail I buy another pair ASAP. If they don't exist anymore I cry!

Physical surround headphones are suck, period.

DSP surround headphones do nothing that you can't with an X-Fi, meaning you could do it with better headphones.

Why are these awesome again? Because, I'm thinking...not.

Ever hear of cages?

472430579_df4bda0258.jpg

Eh...got one that comes with a chain so you can dangle them over an oubliette?

Eye for an eye. Pee on your daughter to teach her a lesson. Also, buy some headphones and buy a microphone instead of buying a headset.

Physical surround headphones are suck, period.

DSP surround headphones do nothing that you can't with an X-Fi, meaning you could do it with better headphones.

Why are these awesome again? Because, I'm thinking...not.

I don't care what you "THINK" you know about those headphones. Until you try them you can believe whatever you want. The sound is great with them.

Also obviously you missed the fact that you can get 5.1 with a PS3 / Xbox / Stand alone DVD players VIA an optical cable. That's something you can't do with "normal" headphones. Good luck getting a X-FI inside that PS3...

There's dozens of reasons those headphones are awesome. Your mind is already set on thinking that ALL 5.1 headphones are poo tho so I don't know why I even bother. Yeah there are other 5.1 sets out there that suck, not those.

I wont say rival. They sound similar. I have both and the AD-700 (lol i had like every <$200-300 worth a hoot at one point -.-). If money is a major concern for you get the Harx700. If not go for the AD-700. The AD-700 is open and is much more comfortable for longer listening. The Harx700 and the A900 both gets quite warm as they are closed. The padding on the Harx700 is not as comfortable as well. It is hard to find anything better than the padding the AudioTechnicas come with. As for sound signature the A900 sounds much more refined and clear. But of course they are in a TOTALLY different price range. Compared to the AD-700 the AD700 is more airy. The bass might not be as much but it is more defined and the soundstage is excellent.

That said, anything is better than your HP2. You can well buy the Harx700 and upgrade later when you are ready for better stuff.

I don't care what you "THINK" you know about those headphones. Until you try them you can believe whatever you want. The sound is great with them.

I don't "THINK" I know anything about them. I would explain exactly why physical 5.1 is shit and nothing more than a marketing gimmick, but I've done it a number of times and I really don't feel like searching for it just for you. You're welcome to if you want. And all I said about the DSP method is that it's hardly unique (although it does have its own flaws too).

You also didn't specify whether it was a physical or DSP implementation. This is rather important if you want to discuss it. If you don't even know - which I assume you don't, as you've responded aggressively rather than informatively - then all you're doing is regurgitating their marketing-speak.

Also obviously you missed the fact that you can get 5.1 with a PS3 / Xbox / Stand alone DVD players VIA an optical cable. That's something you can't do with "normal" headphones. Good luck getting a X-FI inside that PS3...

This would be a good point if it was presented less belligerently. However I would be more interested in the Razer implementation, especially if it turns out that it can be used with any headphones (without modification - it will definitely work after it's thrashed with a soldering iron).

However, this is still predicated on the false assumption that physical or DSP surround (you still haven't said) is necessary in order to get good spatial imaging with headphones. It's absolutely not. Quality headphones, on the other hand, pretty much are.

I wont say rival. They sound similar. I have both and the AD-700 (lol i had like every <$200-300 worth a hoot at one point -.-). If money is a major concern for you get the Harx700. If not go for the AD-700. The AD-700 is open and is much more comfortable for longer listening. The Harx700 and the A900 both gets quite warm as they are closed. The padding on the Harx700 is not as comfortable as well. It is hard to find anything better than the padding the AudioTechnicas come with. As for sound signature the A900 sounds much more refined and clear. But of course they are in a TOTALLY different price range. Compared to the AD-700 the AD700 is more airy. The bass might not be as much but it is more defined and the soundstage is excellent.

That said, anything is better than your HP2. You can well buy the Harx700 and upgrade later when you are ready for better stuff.

Agree completely, although I did get a great deal on my A900s so the price wasn't that different. :D

Yeah, for headphones, better speakers are more important than individual drivers. Basically you have a field of sound over each ear so you can get positioning fairly easily that way with a good set of headphones. It's not like normal speakers where you have a few trying to emulate 5 and sounds coming from all directions.

The headphone drivers are flush with your ear so it's not as important. They can just use processing techniques instead of physical speakers for the surrounds. In that regard, a comparable pair of stereo headphones will sound better for the price since they have larger drivers and will capture a larger spectrum accurately and generally produce a broader perceived sound field.

Hijack warning! I do apologize, but I want some of the same answers and a couple others as a gamer used to gaming headsets moving to headphones.

I'm in a similar situation, w/o pee, or a kid...my fiance has taken my HPA2's for her use! I love that headset but it gave me a reason to find something better, which after listening to many gaming headsets, 2.1 and 5.1 I preferred the HPA2's (v2 w/usb power, better overall sound and more bass). I figured I'd look at the JVC HA-RX900 and 700, not sure which to get. I hear the 700's are good for rock/hard rock, my primary genre...and the 900's sound stage is better for gaming, which I do as much as I listen to tunes, which is A LOT. I plan on doing the felt removal and possibly the sound dampening mods to them as I've read too much good not to do it!

Beyond that, I was considering modding the JVC's with a cable or socket + cable to accept the HPA2's boom mic similar to how it's mounted on the HPA2. I might just go the easy route and grab the Zalman mic tho.

Next would be, I gotta have an in-line volume control of sorts...just using windows or my x-fi xtreme music's control panel won't cut it. I was thinking Koss's vc20 for a cheap solution, will that mess with the output too much? Maybe possibly get a cheap FiiO E5 amp..or similar that uses wall socket/usb power (It won't leave my PC desk, so transportability doesn't matter) and has volume control.

I've also posted this on head-fi, but I would like a good amount of answers as this will be my first time getting a decent set of headphones and also using them as a gaming headset. I plan to continue using my x-fi as the output sound source, it works good for me and has for years, no issues, so I don't plan on replacing it. Thanks for your time!

There's dozens of reasons those headphones are awesome. Your mind is already set on thinking that ALL 5.1 headphones are poo tho so I don't know why I even bother. Yeah there are other 5.1 sets out there that suck, not those.

ashmedai pretty much said most of what needs to be said, but I wanted to break it down a little more simply.

First of all... LOL!!! OMG you can get sound through OPTICAL CABLE?!?! Well, realize that you're probably using a shitty DAC and DSP chip if it fits in a tiny little control pod. Most high-end DACs and DSP boxes are huge because they use higher quality parts and power supplys. Just go around looking at the size of DAC boxes like the Adcom GDA series. That's without DSPs. Your argument that 5.1 headphones can connect via digital makes it a superior headphone is like arguing that powered speakers automatically win against passive speakers... which is just not true. Passive speakers almost always rock face against powered speakers assuming same price point.

Second of all, 5.1 headphones suck RELATIVE to high-end stereo headphones due to the laws of physics. Period. In the same way that smaller speakers CANNOT compete with larger speakers given similar attributes and components, 5.1 headphones cannot compete with stereo headphones. Sure, your 5.1 headphones may sound good, but, given similar price ranges, you can find stereo headphones which sound MUCH better.

I'm definately going to find out how the JVC HA-RX700's sound, got a set coming, found a nice mod that goes along my idea of using my TBA HPA2's boom as the headphone's mic here ( http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/dt...can-work-other-headphones-312405/#post4027549 ). Ordered the 700's for 33.99 shipped off of buy.com, ordered 2x 1.5m (4.92ft) 3.5mm extension cord and the mic boom for $2.xx, came to about $7.50 shipped, so for just over $40 shipped I should have a pretty solid (once broken in) headphone setup for my music/movies/gaming.

Then I can truly compare to my beloved HPA2's, which imo are the best gaming headset out there (Keep in mind, the Version 2 USB Powered, which trump the much older Version 1's), I've lestened and used many, none had the right mix of sound output, quality for amount of drivers, amp controls, comfort, sturdieness, and value. The only other 5.1 headset I would consider at this point would be the Cyber Snipa 5.1's...though they only use a single USB for connection, is handy. But I'm eager to get the 700's and see what I've missed out on. I know they're not super audio-phile, but neither am I. Plus at this budget if I hate em', she can keep my old HPA2's and I'll just grab another new set. :D

Hilarious replies all. Yeah, I'm going with the Rx700's for now. Just over $30 can't be denied if it's even close to the $200 sets. Sorry... I'll run an audio burn in for 1000 hours if that's the case. Nice pictures of cages. I don't think my daughter peed on my headset because I'm mean to her or she hates me. She pees on everything where-ever she's at, just depends on what peeks her interest enough to not tell me and/or my wife she has to go potty. Regardless, Amazon has been having some "unknown" issue charging my card... bleh. This is why I buy from the egg usually. Amazon is just accredited ebayers...

Paco, as a father of 3 daughters I just had to drop in and say " I feel ya brother" Until you have em, you never know what your getting into.

Congrats on making a decision. I usually go all Newegg myself also. I HATE when the cards give problems. In the past I have dropped $1400 in one shot on a new build at Newegg. Not an eyelash batters. 2 days later I spend $3.19 to order some obscure piece from overseas and the credit card issuer from my bank has deemed my card to have "suspicious" activity, so they cancel it. And they dont tell me, they mail ( snail mail) you a letter so you find out a week later. In the meantime the cards worthless, and any accounts that bill directly to the card are screwed too. Arrgg!!!! And the ONLY thing I use that card for is internet purchases. If I am not going to buy something, theres usually only about $5 in the account. Ill deposit what I want to spend, then spend it. ( Makes me feel safer about slinging that card info all over the net when I buy things) Anyway, lol, rant off, but I definately feel your pain.

Excuse my ignorance/naivety, but how/why does one audio burn headphones?

It's half that older equipment sometimes sounds a bit different than when it was new, and half urban legend. And basically you just use it.

Actually, you can make a "decent" set of 5.1 headphones =) take a good set of headphones, make them slightly larger, add "small" rears and small fronts, and with some good emulation you can simulate 5.1

EG I'm pretty sure they can stick 2 tiny speakers into my ADA500s and make them slightly larger and still get great sound from the existing larger drivers

Hilarious replies all. Yeah, I'm going with the Rx700's for now. Just over $30 can't be denied if it's even close to the $200 sets. Sorry... I'll run an audio burn in for 1000 hours if that's the case. Nice pictures of cages. I don't think my daughter peed on my headset because I'm mean to her or she hates me. She pees on everything where-ever she's at, just depends on what peeks her interest enough to not tell me and/or my wife she has to go potty. Regardless, Amazon has been having some "unknown" issue charging my card... bleh. This is why I buy from the egg usually. Amazon is just accredited ebayers...

Yeah I decided to go to Buy.com, iirc they were cheaper with shipping...or the same price and I've had better luck from Buy than Amazon. Hope you get em' and enjoy them! I'm looking forward to getting my set and comparing them to the HPA2's, as I do listen to a lot of rock/metal music, and of course see if I start to really suck in a few of my favorite games! :D

Back