Datastore, where?

ultrakomm

n00b
Hi!

I have a slight problem. I was planning on running my OpenIndiana-based all-in-one from a USB3 SLC-stick (plugged in to USB2), but I have now figured out that ESXi won't let you create datastores on any sort of USB connected device. Maybe this was a stupid idea from the beginning, but whatever.

What I'm thinking of now is buying some sort of used SSD to run my OpenIndiana NAS from. But it seems like a waste of space (how much space can it use, really? Not anywhere near 60GB I would believe). Is there anything I could do with the remaining space on the SSD? ZIL? L2ARC? Or is using a disk for multiple purposes stupid?

Any other solution?

Thanks.

You can't really use it for zil or l2arc and also have esxi using it for a datastore. If the former, you need to pass it to the VM somehow. If you are running esxi from a usb stick, you could tweak the usb config to put logfiles on the ssd too - makes it a bit easier to diagnose issues sometimes.

Another solution I came up with is creating the NAS VM, and then moving the VM onto itself. From one datastore to another one shared to ESXi over NFS. But it seems like it could be a very bad idea. Haha. Thoughts?

Not even sure if it would work though.

Another solution I came up with is creating the NAS VM, and then moving the VM onto itself. From one datastore to another one shared to ESXi over NFS. But it seems like it could be a very bad idea. Haha. Thoughts?

Move it so the VM's VMDKs are on itself? How would it start up though? ESX needs to access the storage to boot the VM, thus if the VM is storing itself it would be impossible to start it.

ESXi needs access to the datastore to even know about the VM, much less run it. How could that possibly work if the datastore is being served by the VM in question? Chicken and egg?

I don't understand what all the complication is about. Get a small, cheap HD and put it on a motherboard port and use that.

Back