Datacenter considerations Liebert VS APC

mIstabone

Weaksauce
'm currently in the process of speccing out a build for a server room. I'm hoping some of you out there have worked with both Liebert and APC equipment in terms of power distribution, HVAC, and battery backups in a data center environment. I received some good feedback on another forum but I'm hoping there's some more input from here.

My company currently has 19,500 watts @ 93 amps of server and network equipment not counting any UPS heat. Assuming @30 percent future growth I’ve come up with needing a 40kva UPS and approximately 15 tons of cooling. In this server room we’ll have 4 racks (expandable to 8) and two Chatsworth high density two post frames for switches, routers and firewalls. All cabling and power distribution will be done in overhead ladder racks. We do not have the floor space to put in a raised floor and comply with the ADA. I’ll also be doing a FM200 system. Unfortunately at this time to budget does not allow a generator.

I have proposals from both APC and Liebert on the table. As it currently stands I'm leaning more towards Liebert for the cooling and battery backup, and APC for racks and power distribution. I'd like to get some feedback from some you out there that have dealt with both vendors and your feelings on them.

I will be bringing the following feed into our server room to drop off into a distribution panel.

200 amps 480/277v 3-phase

Liebert Equipment

UPS:
40kVA / 32kW Liebert Npower Three Phase Uninterruptible Power and a Liebert Battery Power Pack rated for 23 minutes at a 32kW load

HVAC:
Liebert Model VH199AUAAEI, 460 Volts, 60Hz, 3 Phase Deluxe System/3 Environmental Control System: Nominal 15 ton Air Cooled Upflow System

Cabinets and distribution:

PERFORATED KNURR DATA CENTER CABINETS
MP-C5131C Monitored and Controlled PDU’s

APC equipment

UPS:
Symmetra PX 30kW Scalable to 40kW N+1, 208V
Symmetra PX 10kW Power Module, 208V

HVAC:
NetworkAIR IR 40 kW 480V/480V

Cabinets and distribution:
NetShelter SX 42U 600mm Wide x 1070mm Deep Enclosure with Sides Black
Rack PDU, Switched, Zero U, 5.7kW, 120V, (24)5-20

Questions:
1) Has anyone used both APC and Liebert PDUs? Is one better than the other? I'm not seeing a big differentiation between either of them. Do people even use switched PDUs that much? I've talked to some people do prefer to use lights out management cards (DRAC/ILO) Obviously not for routers, switches etc however.

2) Has anyone used Knurr racks? I understand they are very large player in Europe however Liebert is just starting to sell them in the United States. In regards to racks is there anything anybody would've done different in their current server rooms? Wide racks if possible? (I know to leave acceptable distances in front and behind them for access) what racks do people prefer?

3) What about each vendor's management software. Has anyone had experiences with both the preferred one over the other? I've done demos with both vendors software and haven't seen a huge difference between them.

4) Also if you have experience with both vendors or even one a negative or positive way please let me know.

Thanks for any information you can share. I’ll be posting before and after pictures and comments on the way, which will hopefully help some of you out there in the future.

I have little experience in this area.....

but I will say we have a nice Liebert at my main location (I support 4 remote offices in a very large company) and it's been up and running for about 6yrs and is doing great. We replaced the batteries this summer and it's going strong (I have only been there a year). The power comes into the UPS, then goes out to a breaker box, and then is distributed all over the server room.
The unit we have has like 7 batteries in it, space for a couple more, and a few power supply loooking units in the spaces as well. We have about 6 servers, 3 more servers for the phone systems, Cisco chasis, and a small handful of additional equipment running. The estimated power from the unit is 75 minutes.
We have had no issues out of the equipment, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
We called on a minor support issue once, and they quickly answer the phone, and helped us solve the problem (our fault).

good luck...

No datacenter-level experience, but I've always liked liebert equipment. nice little touches.

Our datacenter's all liebert. We've had a few power outages and thankfully, it all pulled through. Funny walking throughout the building with only 1/4 of the lighting as normal but the datacenter's unaffected. And the sweet, sweet smell of diesel fuel fills the hallway... I'm in heaven.

Back